Things that became "retro" this year.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Mar 11, 2019.

1. broccoli

broccoli Member

I wouldn't put up with "sit there while we piss about" at home, just when wanting to watch the next cat video. How could a BUSINESS tolerate such a thing? (don't try answering, as I said, there's nowt so queer as folk)

When I see stuff like this, I wish I wasn't honest and think I'd like to be a grifter. People really are just asking for it, aren't they? It'd be soooo easy.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

And when 2K came out there was not enough RAM and we had to fiddle with DirectX and what not.

And when XP came out there was not enough RAM and we had to fiddle with visual settings and what not.

And when Vista came out there was not enough RAM and we had to fiddle with UAC and what not.

And when 7 came out there was not enough RAM and we had to fiddle with drivers and 64bit stuff and what not.

And when 8 came out there was not enough RAM and we had to fiddle with a changed start menu and what not.

And when 10 came out there was not enough RAM and we had to fiddle with privacy settings and what not.

Round and round we go. Another day, another bit of nostalgia makes us forget how bad software was and still is.

That wasn't even a single human generation ago. How quickly we forget. What will our iPhone/VR/voice-assistant using grandchildren think of our ancient ways?

neoprint and Hotrod2go like this.
  3. broccoli

broccoli Member

Having no PCs at all wasn't even very long ago.

Rubberband and elvis like this.
  4. elvis

Ask my why I'm so fascinated with the 20th century. :)

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

Do you want a game of scrabble? :D

6. elvis

I prefer Boggle.

7. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

NOW YOU JUST HOLD UP A MINUTE. SIR!!!

Windows 8 had heaps better memory management than windows 7 did, and it performed on shittier systems MUCH better than 7 because of it.
    It was hated simply for it's horrible UI, it's horrible, horrible, horrible UI... (Which actually worked REALLY well if you had a touch screen, and not at all without one)

As you were.

8. Hotrod2go

Hotrod2go Member

Know exactly where your coming from.
    I did a fresh install of win 7 on an "old" socket 1156 platform only early last week & with all updates for it, the OS was some 47.5GB in size!
    A significant capacity diff from 2009-10 when 1st installed on that machine. Driver support is lagging of course, but it was interesting to see the changes in that OS over the yrs with size it takes up now.
    Never touched 8, no need to back then for me.

I've heard via the grapevine that updates to 10 are being done by 5 yr old children or something like... it explains why these updates have not been properly tested before public release.
    I got BSOD yesterday just cruising the web on my gaming rig (sig) with that silly bar code rubbish symbol. Of course, all software is up date.
    Yet while under a challenging load gaming, its rock solid... :confused:

9. elvis

Fair enough. I hated it because all software is shit, without exception.

Daft_Munt and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  10. broccoli

broccoli Member

Well, that message suggests that the public is testing it.

11. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Let's all take off our rose coloured glasses for just a second (Only a second, I promise)
    You are all kidding yourselves if you think you get more blue screens now than in the 98-Vista era.

Also people are too harsh on Windows.. Early Red Hat Linux WAS FUCKING WEOEFUL as was Mandrake, even Early ubuntu is not the perfect utopia people think it was.. These were all popular distros back in the day.. they were mostly a crap, pain in the ass, convoluted jumbled mess 'for elitist, nerdy, schmucks' that even when you spent days setting them up, as soon as you wanted to do something new, Oh drivers buggered up, try again, from scratch... BECAUSE.

Okay, Glasses back on. WEREN'T THE OLD DAYS BETTER, EVERYONE?

But seriously, can you imagine using windows 98 as a daily computing experience in 2008??
    Because that's essentially what people are doing with 7.

But like elvis said.. All software is shit.

This song was relevant then, and still is now:

MrMaestro likes this.
  12. flain

flain Member

Windows NT is where it's at, you can format a floppy while browsing the internet AT THE SAME TIME!

13. elvis

"Release early, release often" is the new corporate software mantra, driven by customers wanting rapid turn around on things. It's our impatience that's to blame. We got this, because we demanded it.

If you want reliable, buy reliable. But RedHat Enterprise Linux. Buy IBM z-Series. Buy enterprise UNIX.

But they're boring. They don't play games. They aren't shiny with sexy icons and cloud-connected to social media things. And they cost a lot of money to run and maintain. Why? Because writing good, reliable software is hard in a world that moves fast.

If you want XBox-OS for your toy desktop gaming PC, then run Windows. If you want a real workstation or server OS, use a real OS. But you don't get to whine about games not working on your non-gaming workstation.

Horses for courses. All software is shit. You just have to choose the one that's the least shit for the task you want, and not complain about all the other things it does poorly.

They were all adequate server operating systems, for doing things like running the Internet. As above, no sexy desktop for silly tasks like playing games, but that wasn't their design.

Choose the thing you want to do the job you want.

14. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

I think that's why 7 remains so popular. I mean, it does sort of everything well enough, for most people.
    And all things considered, it's still a viable, and reliable/secure OS for your average user.

it is 10 years old though, so I suspect people hanging on to it out of spite, and trying to convince themselves there's nothing better.

15. elvis

Don't forget, there are still people holding on to Windows XP saying exactly the same thing.

(And in this forum, there are still people using Commodore 64s saying the same thing).

I repeat... :)

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  16. clonex

clonex Member

i seem to recall the mouse becoming unresponsive but maybe it was 95 or 98 :D

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

Why not? They all do pretty much the same stuff. I'd probably still be using win98 if it hadn't got all infested with some software that wouldn't go away.

18. flain

flain Member

Probably 95 or 98 as windows NT was actually pretty good especially for its time :). The NT kernel was developed to become windows 2000 and was a separate code base to 95/98

19. shredder

shredder Member

Look back 10-20 years, and everything was simultaneously pretty great (we were young and innocent and fun!) and terribly shit (because reverse-Moore's Law!).

FIREWIRE1394 and elvis like this.
  20. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

Bearing in mind that AmigaOS was probably better, earlier - My AmigaOS 3.1 A1200 is more stable than my Windows 98 box and a magnitude better than Windows 3.1, which was probably the competing OS at the time.

Personally, I think rose coloured glasses are of a special form of crimson when it comes to early Windows no thanks to the power of Microsoft marketing.

If only Commodore weren't a special form of stupid when it came to business decisions.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
    flain likes this.