Things that became "retro" this year.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Mar 11, 2019.

1. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Anyone who things Company A will never be able to compete with Company B again typically are 14 years old and haven't been around long enough.

When you've been watching the tech industry as long as some of we old crusty cranks, you see enough round-abouts and comeback stories to know it all comes and goes in cycles.

Remember when IBM were unbeatable and Microsoft was the plucky start-up? And then Apple rose, and fell, and rose again. As did Microsoft. As did Nvidia and ATI and Intel and AMD and EVERYONE ELSE.

Swings and round abouts.

mAJORD and MonoJoker like this.
  2. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

Wow so its been 10 years since I switched to AMD for my graphics!

My last Nvidia card was a 8800GTS, having stuck with them since the Geforce 256 which came out around 20 years ago. Damn, it was THAT long ago!

Crazy to think a lot of us here have seen consumer hardware 3D acceleraton right from its infancy in the mid-late 90's to where it is now.

3. elvis

There's a generation who literally saw computers nowhere to computers everywhere in their lifetime, and no other generation will experience anything like it. Literally from a device the size of a small house that was slower than an abacus to a supercomputer in your pocket in a very short amount of time.

Outside of perhaps electricity, I don't think there's ever been an explosive change like that in human history. I think the only thing that could rival it would be some sort of AI and/or 3D printing revolution (assuming people don't do everything in their power to prevent it, which many seem to be trying).

But yes, these retro forums certainly remind me on a daily where we came from, compared to where we are now. I have to laugh every time I see yet another post in the PC gaming forums moaning about "y no 4K 144FPS?!?!?!", when we used to get pretty bloody excited about just a handful of polygons. :lol:

JSmithDTV likes this.
  4. shirl

shirl Member

I'm 52 now I have seen how far we have come the 1st game I played was pong,I used to play all the classis golden axe etc,,then dragon's lair.came along blew my mind,used to cost $1 a game and believe me I spent alot games and graphics have come along way since I was a kid/teen,my son let me play some virtual reality games, that blew my mind,I'm still excited to see where it will reach before I die..lol..I have collected so much parts over 30 years and slowly put together retro PC,s hopefully one day my son will appreciate how far we have come

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    JSmithDTV and elvis like this.
  5. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

At least with only a handful of polygons to work with, game developers had to create titles that had a decent story and were engaging. A lot of today's action games to me, feel like "playing" a slightly modifiable cut scene movie. Sure the graphics are impressive and the open world expanse amazing but honestly, I'd rather get 3 mates over and play some Goldeneye 007 on the potato N64 LOL.

</old crusty crank rant>

Couldn't resist stealing your term there elvis :)

Vanne, Perko and elvis like this.
  6. elvis

I've definitely noticed another swing and roundabout of game devs jummping between graphics and gameplay. New tech always pushes people to want to make a glorified tech demo game, and forget the story and fun part of things. We're going through a "ray tracing" fad now of pretty-but-empty games, just like we did in years gone by with hardware TnL, and even the 16 bit console generation that made everything look sexy but be boring.

Luckily as technologies mature, people remember to make fun games again. Titles like "untitled goose game" make me happy that they exist.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2019
    Perko likes this.
  7. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

I'm worried about Y3K... :Paranoid:

JSmith

8. MonoJoker

MonoJoker Member

JSmithDTV likes this.
  9. Daft_Munt

Daft_Munt Member

Not shiny enough to make me buy a new graphics card.

10. elvis

11. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

2010 hey. God damn

Stand out for me was Bad company 2 which will roll into it's 10th Birthday in March.. With no sequel in sight still!

in PC tech, it wasn't a very exciting year from memory. Lots of refreshes and die shrinks .. Westmere launched on Jan 7, then Thurban from AMD, bringing Native Hex cores to the fore. but all based on existing uArch's

Launch of Femi AKA GTX480 in march was a stand out - probably for the barbecue memes alone :p

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    WuZMoT and elvis like this.
  12. elvis

2010 ones that stand out from the Wikipedia link for me:

* VVVVVV
    * Tatsunoko vs Capcom: Ultimate All Stars
    * Thexder Neo
    * Bayonetta
    * Darksiders
    * Blaster Master: Overdrive
    * Dante's Inferno
    * Heavy Rain
    * Deadly Premonition
    * Just Cause 2
    * Mega Man 10
    * Bit Trip Runner
    * Red Dead Redemption
    * Sin and Punishment: Star Successor
    * Scott Pilgrim vs The World
    * Amnesia Dark Descent
    * Arc the Lad (PSN localisation and re-release which was a big deal)
    * Super Meat Boy

Games that made me sad:
    " Metroid: Other M

13. badmofo

badmofo Member

Wait what? I could have sworn that just came out.

I had a great time with 'Divinity II: Ego Draconis' from 2010, a quirky open world RPG and of course 'S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat' was noteworthy. I've played both recently - Divinity still rocks but Stalker needs community mods to make it playable IMO.

My biggest disappointment for 2010 goes to 'Arcania: Gothic 4', which was made by a different company than the proceeding 3 and was a total turd of a game that I'd pre-ordered.

Hardware wise I was probably still rocking my Core2Duo E8500 but mentally preparing myself to an upgrade to the i5 I used for the next 9 years or so.

14. Grant

Grant Member

Seeing games like this prompted me to look it up, the first Humble Indie Bundle was in November 2010.

elvis likes this.
  15. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

Nobody mentioned Civilization V? Probably the Civ game I’ve spent the most hours in, possibly except for civ 2. Although it was probably the most radical change to the formula in the whole series.

16. Grant

Grant Member

GIANT DEATH ROBOT

17. elvis

Just Cause 4 was released in 2018. I worked on the trailer for it a whole job ago.

Time sure flies.

18. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

No Fallout: New Vegas either? That and Civ were easily on rotation the most for me 2010/11 and I still play both today.

Console was dominated by Red Dead Redemption and Super Mario Galaxy 2. Still the best Mario platformer. (fite me)

19. elvis

Never played it. My son scratched original disc (physical media still has its cons) before I had time off work to play it, and I didn't get another copy until I modded my Wii years later. By that time my pile of shame had grown exponentially, so I still need to get back to it.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  20. melatonin

melatonin Member

Starcraft 2 is 10 years old now, I can't even.

Vanne likes this.