Things that became "retro" this year.

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by power, Mar 11, 2019.

1. Vanne

Vanne Member

I *LOVED* SC2... (Part 1) Haven't played part 2 and 3 yet.. (is there a part 4 now?)

2. shredder

shredder Member

I'll balance out the ayurvedic chi of the forums with the earthshaking revelation that I've never played SC2.

In fact the only anything-craft I've played is Warcraft. 1. The original. When it was first released in 1994, I played it for a few hours as an interesting take on Dune 2, that being the established 'modern classic' of the time which we all spent many many hours on.

/onion_on_the_belt, etc

P.S. TIL that The Lost Vikings was made by an early incarnation of the company which became Blizzard.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    elvis likes this.
  3. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

When people say "Blizzard", my brain goes straight to games like Lost Vikings and Blackthorne, not Warcraft.

4. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

To take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em, gimme 5 bee's for a quarter you'd say.

Just in case the 10 year old games didn't make you feel old the 27 year old Simpsons quote should take care of business.

+1 for Bad Company 2. I would give it a place on the podium next to Quake 3 for multiplayer enjoyment and addiction.

elvis likes this.
  5. badmofo

badmofo Member

27 years! OK this thread is starting to bring me down.

Flamin Joe likes this.
  6. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

It's scary how long The Simpsons have been going for. It didn't occur to me until I saw a photo of myself wearing a Bart Simpson t-shirt with the quote "Eat my shorts". That photo was taken while I was still in highschool (1990-94). :shock:

7. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I was in the target demographic when it started. Yikes.

8. elvis

I love it. I get quite a bit of crap from "regular people" about my retro hobbies. When I tell them I'm using computers, software and games from Simpsons season 7, they shut up. :lol:

9. shredder

shredder Member

I was around a family dinner table including my 13yo nephew the other week.

Got asked if I play games, I responded "Mainly just a bit of retro gaming" .. qualifying the statement with "not that old .. I mean say, the 1985-2005 era" - and the look I got from the nephew was priceless.

The incredulous look said loud and clear that my hobby was unimaginably antique and ancient, and that he barely realised computer games had existed that long. :lol:

Like I was playing them on Babbage's Analytical Engine or something.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    clonex, elvis and power like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I will say I've had a nephew and a friends kid over and they are absolutely mesmerised by my older consoles. Say what you want but Sega knew how to make consoles that are immediately intriguing the Saturn and Dreamcast get the most looks. People still remark about how tiny the dreamcast is too, and to think most of it is optical drive and psu!

elvis likes this.
  11. badmofo

badmofo Member

Every now and then try and explain to my kids that "when I was a kid, there was no internet". They can't fathom it - just another one of my un-funny dad jokes.

elvis likes this.
  12. flu!d

flu!d Never perfect, always genuine

I remember playing JC2. I never really actually played it, I just flew, drove and walked around the map looking for crazy shit.

13. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

[​IMG]

Released 29 October 2009

JSmith

14. Reaper

Reaper Member

Well if it makes you feel better, the last good simpsons episode is now considered retro.

elvis likes this.
  15. elvis

I've got a young brother-in-law who turned 21 last year. He finished a games dev degree about a year or so back. He'd love to try and out-smart me on game history trivia at every family gathering.

Poor kid just sat there gob smacked every time he'd try to claim a first, and I'd give him 10 earlier examples of that same design concept off the top of my head.

It really is a little sad how short some people's memories are, and how unaware of even very short term history folks are. Whether it's something as silly as video games, or far more important things.

16. Reaper

Reaper Member

Poor kid thought he had any sort of chance against our generation that rode and pushed the tech wave. lol.

elvis likes this.
  17. elvis

I blame tertiary education. When I was in uni, they inflated our egos something chronic, telling us every day we were going to be the savior of the human race.

A year out of uni in the real world brought us back down to planet Earth, and got our egos in check again. By all accounts, unis are still pushing the same old schtick on the current generations.

18. Reaper

Reaper Member

Of course. He may as well have done gender studies.

clonex likes this.
  19. elvis

I'll have you know his video games development degree landed him a very successful job doing boring corporate front-end development work. (lol)

Reaper likes this.
  20. Reaper

Reaper Member

Just think, if he did the gender studies he could have a job in HR instead, firing the talent and bringing in fresh useless blood.