Things you like/love about OS X

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by xcalibur, Apr 17, 2008.

1. proffesso

proffesso Member

yep, I want explorer for osx...finder just gives me the shits for the most part.

not just explorer, but give me compressed file listings too.

another thing that shits me is time machine....why the fuck cant I backup to ANY of the storage options I already own

agree on single menu bar for multi-screen work, but i also want to do away with application specific menubars...just make some super cut down thing purely for os functions only, and leave all applications to use menus embedded in thier windows.

still want a queuing file transfer, or at least an option for right click "add to queue"...hate moving tons of files around at once, makes all transfers slow.
    at least osx groups them all into a single window, but still.

windows has Teracopy which is fantastic...apart from the slight dealbreaker of crashing somtimes :/

iTunes...dont hate, runs well, but im sure its due for a makeover soon.

and I just want some simple UI color adjustment options...I run my windows very dark, I want to run osx the same way

I know there are theme apps for 1.4.x.....but what about 10.5.x?

2. ghettro

ghettro Member

I always found it pretty stupid in OS X that although many other apple written and mainstream applications allow you to cut with apple+x it doesn't work in finder.

3. nap

nap Member

you're right, personally i find the PC more productive, but the Macs are 'cool' to use because of features like this. Sorta like the modern LCD TVs, some of them have glass panel (Sony) that glow!! no benefit except it looks great :D

4. nap

nap Member

.. you can change that, just click right on the start taskbar -> Properties -> Group similar taskbar buttons.

5. chip

chip Member

I love how un-robust HFS+ is.

6. ghettro

ghettro Member

That's not what he's talking about. Sometimes dialog boxes just don't show up in the taskbar, this is true with XP and vista. OS X will sometimes not show open dialog windows (usually preferences dialogs) ones in expose. Although this is probably less often than windows.

Anyway if you read the post I made earlier in the thread, Expose is unbeatable for selecting windows where visual content identifies it rather than filename (which can often be extremely undescriptive); that's probably the majority of things as humans are more visual than textual - that is the primary advantage of expose and part of what makes OS X more visually based.

7. Dedge

Dedge Member

That's precisely *WHY* I love OS X. I've never understood maximizing windows, it's a waste of screen real estate.

8. Deanodriver

Deanodriver Member

Command key ⌘

:)

I've just started using a Mac Mini (after my PC laptop died, wanted to get a taste for OSX before buying a MacBook Pro). It's not too bad. Still need to get used to it though.

Yeah, I know, gravedig, but it was linked in another thread...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  9. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

That doesn't even make sense... Maximizing is using screen real estate. Not maximizing is putting it to waste...

10. Deanodriver

Deanodriver Member

As opposed to having other windows open and visible at once?

Maximising is stupid once you're above 1024x768 :)

11. chris87

chris87 Member

I love how there is only the one menu bar at the top of the screen for each application.

I love how everything is stored in the system prefrences (and application prefrences) when making changes to OSX.

I love how I can manually remove prefrence files for applications, to bring them back to their default settings.

I have just installed Windows 7, and im finding it difficult to navigate around the prefrences and make it and do what I want.

I love how on OSX, if I cant find a menu item, I just go to help, type it in, and it points to exactly where it is.

I love how the OSX install disk has the apple hardware test on it, aswell as hard-drive and network diagnostic tools.

12. ewok85

ewok85 Member

Document/Image manipulation? I hate having to mess around getting windows maximised in OSX. I have a Macbook so the screen isn't large enough for multiple windows to start with (yay for spaces!).

I love the install process, very smooth, very easy.

13. dche5390

dche5390 Member

Expose. Need i say more?

14. Wynne

Wynne Member

Fluke will do that for you. http://cubicfruit.com/fluke/

One of the best parts of owning a Macbook has to be the cohesive sleep option.
    Close lid and machine is asleep in 10 seconds.
    Open lid and the OS is ready in 5 seconds.

I don't understand everyone having an issue with switching applications?
    I don't use spaces, expose and have the dock hidden.
    I find the keyboard the quickest way to switch apps and then switch windows. Quicksilver also means I can use the keyboard to open Apps and scripts.

I agree that the menu bar falls over with dual screens though, which is pretty average.

The best thing about the whole system though is the one layer of depth approach to the OS and Applications. Not having a second mouse button has meant that all apps are designed with the options intuitively laid out, opposed to windows and *nix where the second mouse button has to be used (often in odd ways) in order to reach all the available options.

15. Dedge

Dedge Member

• With address book, selecting "Large type" on someone's phone number.
    • Drag a directory from Finder in to a "Save as" dialogue box.
    • Drag a directory from the Finder title bar in to a terminal to get the path.
    • Command line access to launch applications from the current working directory. Eg: Finder, TextMate.
    • Consistent keyboard shortcuts across applications.

In addition to everything else, it's lots of little things like that which make OS X a pleasure to use.

16. Mr. Bump!

Mr. Bump! (Banned or Deleted)

You never have to minamise a window again think about how many action it is to minimise a window...

double click on the window, or hunt for the minamise button, and then click it again to maxamise it...

With expose it's as simple as going to the side of the screen and clicking on the window that you want to bring to the front instead of having to sort through however many minimised windows you have on the task bar

Would you preffer OS X go back to aqua?

I think leopard has a pretty good mix between the two giving OS X a clean professional look rather then OS X 10.1 or OS X 10.3 for example

As for what I hate?

Well the lack of a cut option from the desktop pisses me off when I want to move something as well...

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  17. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

ROFL. Most retarded thing i've heard, ever.

I'm on two monitors doing 1680x1050, and im still wishing i had larger monitors just so i had more resolution to maximize to.

I'm wishing i had a Dell 30" monitor just so i could have 2560x1600 to view Visual Studio in.

18. OP
    OP
    xcalibur

xcalibur Member

i like to have onenote on a big screen :D i am a visual person and i love the way onenote lets me arrange my ideas. i run it in vmware; i wish there was a native mac equivalent.

19. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Onenote is amazing for client meetings to make 100's of notes in.

Isn't it in Office 08 for OSX? What do you use for VMWare on OSX btw? Workstation or some other app?

20. bobrandom

bobrandom Member

Hate:
    For the sweet love of fuck I hate maximizing windows in osx
    Finder - I just don't like it I just want a tree style file manager, and for that matter some there are things about file handling I don't like
    I feel that I have a slight lack of control using, don't get me wrong but

Love:
    Boot times
    Better integration with the rest of my network
    Workflow is getting better - still impeded by windows esk user habits
    Transferring files is awesome
    Terminal

I have to remember every time I use it, that's its not windows, suse or ubuntu