1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Think my Vega 64 is dying

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Potplanty, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Potplanty

Potplanty Member

Hey all,

Pretty sure my Asus Strix Vega 64 is dying but need a second/third opinion.

The first issue I had was that games would randomly freeze and then after a few seconds the rest of my open programs on other screens would freeze and require a force restart of the computer. More recently though I've had it where the entire computer would freeze and the screens go black all at once while the actual GPU fans started going haywire. This would also require a forced reboot.

Just yesterday I launched Doom 2016 and started noticing very terrible artifacting and texture glitching. I tried changing the renderer from Vulkan to OpenGL but that didn't change anything. You can see an example of this below.

Another thing to note is that the VRMs regularly sit on 110C-120C while under load. I checked the heat pads on the VRMs and they are situated properly and cover all the VRMs in the entirety. I know in the early revisions there was an issue with the pads not covering the VRMs entirely but this is not the issue with mine, they just don't have good heat management.

No overclocking is in place and I have tested a manual fan curve which made no difference. Rest of the specs below;

Asrock X370 Taichi
    Ryzen 7 1700X @ 3.2GHz
    G.Skill 16GB 3200MHz DDR4
    Samsung 840 EVO 1TB (45K hours power-on, ~97 TBW) S.M.A.R.T. reports no issues whatsoever.

2. terroristone

terroristone Member

what is the fan speed set to? dose setting it to 100% make the card cooler? do the fans spin up? if you havnt try this and see what happens.

3. OP
    OP
    Potplanty

Potplanty Member

Currently it's on default settings. Yeah, it definitely works and goes faster when set that way. The VRMs run @ ~95C under load with the fan set to 100%. Doesn't matter though, still artifacting in Doom even with the VRMs at ~65C or so.

4. terroristone

terroristone Member

put fans on 100%, try over volting. and even down clock the gpu and ram for testing.

5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

What temps are showing for the GPU itself? 95° is no big deal for the VRM, but 120° sure is.

If your video is with the VRMs at 65° then it looks like your card certainly isn't feeling healthy. I'd try replacing the TIM on the GPU and replacing the pads on the VRM before I totally gave up, but it doesn't look promising.

6. OP
    OP
    Potplanty

Potplanty Member

GPU itself runs at ~75C under load depending on fan settings. That artifacting happens whether the GPU is just heating up and the VRMs are at 65C or whether it's heated up and they're at 100C.

Already replaced the TIM but the pads are gonna be super expensive because they've got a decent thickness and the shape isn't a standard one you can buy.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
  7. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

If it's still stuffed in a second test system, send it back for RMA.

8. OP
    OP
    Potplanty

Potplanty Member

Don't have a second system to test it with unfortunately.

9. ArmoureD

ArmoureD Member

I had similar issues on my gigabyte r9 280x oc (yes it is old af I know).

I underclocked core & memory back to ati reference clock speeds, and all issues went away. Nfi why...

10. terroristone

terroristone Member

i had this caused by bad drivers. Your going to do some of the things listed here, log the temps and clock speeds. underclock etc and see if things change, clear drivers in safemode with ddu and reinstall them

11. OP
    OP
    Potplanty

Potplanty Member

Yeah I'll be doing a few more tests tonight. Regardless of all this though, it's bullshit that the VRMs reach 120C on the default fan curve.

12. terroristone

terroristone Member

its defiantly not normal, thermal pads and be bought and cut to size, and are fairly cheap.

EDIT : have a read of this https://imgur.com/gallery/GZJnFY2

Running those vrm temps from day one wouldnt do good for the card, i would try rma

Last edited: Jan 20, 2020
    Myne_h likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Potplanty

Potplanty Member

Yeah I've seen that post a dozen times now but my VRMs have a decent thermal pad that covers all of them in their entirety.
    I got this V64 close to the end of their production run and it seems to be one of the revised version that they fixed it on.

I'm reinstalling Doom to check it's not a file issue, running Memtest to check it's not a RAM issue and then finally undervolting and underclocking the GPU itself.
    Failing that it gets RMAed. Less than a year old which is a shame.

terroristone likes this.
  14. terroristone

terroristone Member

Keep us updated, if you do rma keep us updated on how it all goes

15. OP
    OP
    Potplanty

Potplanty Member

So I reinstalled Doom and that seems to have fixed the issue with that. Must have been some major file corruption that Steam wasn't noticing. Either way that works. Now just gotta set a manual curve permanently and see if the computer locks up or not. Uninstalled the drivers too and reinstalled them but that was after testing with Doom.

16. scissorspaper

scissorspaper Member

I had similar issues on my Vega 64
    Turned out to be 19.12.2 & 19.12.3 drivers, going back with DDU to 19.12.1 fixed it

terroristone likes this.