Thinking of getting a Powerbook!

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by ruski, Nov 14, 2005.

1. ruski

ruski Member

So I've been reading the anandtech article on OSX/PC convert, and I'm now seriously considering going Mac. This will be for working, maybe some WC3, but primarily for work as I have a PC for games.

My question is, is it really THAT much better, that much more productive than WinXP? Does it warrant paying $3k~ when I could get a high-end Inspiron 9300 for that price? With Vista coming out, will that make Tiger redundant? (ok, that's a controversial statement, but I saw somewhere on the net about how similar the two are). Although Expose is currently the biggest drawing factor for me. I've never used it, but I love it!

I'll be using it mainly at home, but I'll be occasionally taking it to Uni as well, so I'm deciding between the 15 and 17" model. Does anyone have the 17"? Is it bulky/heavy, a pain to transport? I currently have a Inspiron 8600, which I find pretty easy to transport. I know the Powerbook is slightly lighter, but it is wider.

And one more thing, how much do you guys think I can sell my current laptop for?

Inspiron 8600
    About 1 year old
    Pentium M Dothan 1.5GHz
    1.3GB RAM (1GB + 256MB)
    ATI 9600 Pro Turbo
    15.4" WUXGA (1920x1200)
    60GB HDD
    DVD/CDRW Combo
    + Audigy 2 ZS Notebook

(Posted in Price Check, but no one visits)

2. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

Is your i8600 really that bad? I dont think it's worth spending money at all with that kind of setup, if you're going to go Mac I'd wait til they switch to x86.

3. OP
    OP
    ruski

ruski Member

It's not bad at all, it's just that from reading the anandtech article, OSX just sounds amazing and seems like a good laptop for studying!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2005
  4. Dr Kildare

Dr Kildare Medic!

With the current product lines an iBook offers much better performance for the price.

Have said that if you just want to experience OS X grab an old G4 & for ~$500 & stuff around.

With the Intel pBooks due out as early as Jan I'd definately hold off.

5. Kharn

Kharn Member

See the world they said. So i bought a mac.
    All i can say is YES, YES, YES.

I spent a fair bit more than 3k for my Powerbook and its still been one of the best buys i've made. I've switched fairly recently so i can help you out a little in switching. First of all try and get access to a mac. As you've said that you go to uni theres bound to be a mac lab there. They may not be top of the line macs and are probably heavily locked down but it will give you a fair idea of OSX. It will be a bit of a crash course at first because OSX is a little different, but after a few hours you will find yourself more productive. A great help is a good book on OSX. The missing manual series is highly recommended, they sell them online here.

I have a 15" and its big enough for me, i have it on my lap most of the time so its an ideal size. I guess it depends how and where you use yours. Also with the rumours it may well be worth holding off for a few months. In that time just read up as much as you can about OSX. Appletalk.com.au is a fairly busy aussie site otherwise the Whirlpool forums have a good mac community.

6. OP
    OP
    ruski

ruski Member

Hmm tempting, but I'm reading on appletalk about the new Intel 7488 processors. Are these processors just faster and run with windows? Seems like a long wait till these are out though! What's the scheduled release date? Some of the guys there are saying mid-next year, which seems like a rather long time way!

7. Kharn

Kharn Member

No one can give you an honest answer, the main advantage of the intel powerbooks is that you will most likely to be able to dual boot winXP and OSX. Its also rumoured to be up to 25% thinner. Its unknown what affect it will have on the speeds but i hope that it will be an improvement. If you want the powerbook now then buy it. Its fast enough for my needs, has a large ammount of software support and looks sexy. The Intel ones will initially run some software under emulation and may not support all of the old software but it will eventually become the standard. I'm personally waiting for the second revision of the intel powerbooks before i upgrade. The second revision is likely to have ironed out most of the bugs that the initial Intel powerbooks will probably have. Also all of the software should be fully supported by then. The software porting started some months ago but there will always be a few laggards.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  8. Mavrick

Mavrick Member

Ruski

As far as productivity goes, I think that it will go backwards initially while you get used to how the Mac "thinks" and how it works. Add to this the fact that your typing speed won't increase, nor your reading and comprehension skills, my opinion is that you won't see a tangible productivity improvement.

I admit though that it's nice to use a different UI for a change. Even replacement shells don't seem to go far enough. :)

BTW, it looks like M$ is incorporating an Expose-type thing in Vista. Look here

I dunno if this advice helps but I think that $3000 is better off in your pocket than in someone elses.

Of course, you could just get one and say it's because "you wanted one" :)

Cheers

9. Nong23

Nong23 Member

I actually have the 12" SD but personally I think the apple OS is brilliant for uni based stuff.

I do practically everything I do on my desktop and more (with the exception of games) on my Powerbook and I quite honestly have to say it hasn't missed a beat at all. I play all my Topgear and other vids on VLC just fine, burns dvd's, does the basic music playing, its got a few nifty progs such as the grapher and Omnigraffle which I find useful for study and that as well. Its brilliant :) Well worth the switch.

I concur with Anand though, the mac and wintels are even in terms of its capability, but I like the mac because it's just that bit easier and fluid.

You might as well wait for the Intel powerbooks, I personally like the PowerPC processors, they are a bit different and its that extra bit of novelty that makes it cool now that it's being discontinued! So i picked up my 12" before this final rev, its an SD as well so the specs didn't change.

Just my $0.02 - For uni its awesome, give it a try if you can!

Cheers,

Nong23

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  10. Kharn

Kharn Member

I don't think you've used OSX for an extended period of time. Of course you won't read faster on a mac but it kills many of the frustrations and timewasters that you get with windows. First of all you rarely have to go hunting for drivers. Most stuff you just plug the thing in and start using it. I can plug any mouse in and move it about. The same goes for all sorts of things from cameras to keyboards. You also don't have to wait to boot up your machine in the morning. I simply just open the lid of my powerbook and start working from where i left off the previous night. I could even keep it unplugged and it would only use a few % of batterypower overnight. I also don't have to run spyware and virus protectors every week. And i wouldn't dream of reinstalling my operating system every 6 months. Also installing programs is very easy, i just drop them into my applications folder and it all installs itself. Also drag and drop does wonders once you get the hang of it. If i see a picture on the net i can drag it into anything from a word document to saving it in a folder by just dragging to it.

I can give you an honest opinion as a person that uses both everyday that OSX does save me time and its easier and more fun to use. I used to have frustrating problems which were a pain to solve. I just don't have those anymore. Also that Vista Expose looks nice but Microsoft seems to be taking out so much stuff already that its doubtful it would make it whenever Vista is coming out. It just proves the point though that your really behind in computing when your using windows. Me going back to Windows full time would be like going back to IE6 after using firefox for so long. Sure the changes come but its already too late and badly implemented.

11. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

Believe it or not toolio, Windows laptops have Suspend & Hibernate too, and last time I checked XP SP2 can support nearly all keyboards, mice and cameras out of the box. I've had Windows installed for more than six months on my Dell i8600 and I'm yet to have an issue, leave your Pro-Mac bias at the door.

12. jermaink

jermaink Member

I would honestly wait for the Intel based Apple notebooks to come out. I don't mind Apple's design, and while I'm not used to OS X, it is definitely a much cleaner operating system than Windows.

IMO, the main strength of Apple based systems are it's software. But to me, it's main weaknesses are the inferior and dated technology which they often utilise. When the Intel based laptops come out this will be different. The technologicial handicap will be removed, but the advantages of Apple softwar will remain.

So if you can hold on to your current laptop until the Intel Apple is released (I can't quite remember when), then IMO, that will be the best time to get a Powerbook.

13. Kharn

Kharn Member

I use both everyday. I bet you don't. Last time i checked you actually need to install drivers on windows for most things and the suspend/hibernate on windows is a joke. Do people even use it?

14. salamagd

salamagd Member

I use hibernate every day on my XP laptop. Suspend isn't really worth it though, when the hibernate is so fast and it's completely off.

15. underskore

underskore Member

i have a specc'd up 15" PB it kills all competition.

first it squashes them into a ball, then it eats them.

everything is simple as pie, drag and drop this, plug and play that, windows file sharing is a breeze, you have multiple options of how u do it aswell.

ill seriously consider an iBook when its time to purchase again as i think the PB was overkill but i love it.

i bought my PB without having ever used OSX and within hours i was more than comfortable using it.

16. browniezz

browniezz Member

i also go to uni and love hibernate... best thing out! on win xp and love it. If you want a serious machine for studying, have a look at the tablets. Its great how they can draw graphs where if you were on a laptop.. u would have to try and do it with a mouse.

Just have a look and get back to me on what you think.

17. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

ahahahahaha! I have been using both for about 6 years now, using laptops every day for both school and now Uni, I have a Dell i8600 like the OP, and Suspend works great, as does Hibernate. Please explain to me how it is a joke compared to that of a Mac, I'm willing to bet it's exactly the same. How about actually using a Windows machine before you spurt crap.

18. Varuna

Varuna Member

Hah, more mac zealot twaddle. My brand new Samsung X50 takes 4 seconds (with its shiny new 100GB 7200 rpm sata hdd :D ) to boot from Hibernation in XP, and about a second from suspend.

When you think about it, it's also prettier, lighter, faster, tougher, and cheaper than a powerbook, has better battery life, manages 2900 in 3dmark05 with it's 128MB X700 video card, and comes with a three-year 4-hour response onsite warranty.

Now, If I could just stop playing CivIV with all its not-currently-available-for-mac-lusers prettyness for just a few minutes to concentrate on study for tomorrows exam... :eek: Damn you Sid Meier, you're so gonna make me fail Astro.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  19. Kharn

Kharn Member

I have a windows machine that i use only for gaming now, I only used hibernate on my dads Sony VAIO and it was slow and unresponsive. Also does the windows hibernate enable when you close the lid? open the lid? does the wireless come back straight away? does it not lose battery?

The Samsung X50 looks like a poor imitation of a powerbook. They weight about the same 2.4kg vs 2.5kg, don't know about toughness but the X50 has a worse battery life 5.5hrs vs 4hrs and it doesn't look cheaper either when you add a comparable Harddrive. Also it has an operating system that is outdated and compromised.

20. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

You actually get a choice of if you want to have Hibernate / Suspend activate when you open the lid on a Windows Notebook, and the wireless reconnects instantly. Do you even understand how Hibernate works? Of course it doesn't lose battery in Hibernate, you noob :lol: