Thinking of getting a Powerbook!

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by ruski, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Eroda

Eroda Member

i would wait 3 months till march april becasue atm powerbooks are about as fast as your current machine

once apple switch to intel they should be wiked fast and worth the money

2. Mavrick

Mavrick Member

Karne

Somehow you misread the original post and have diverted this thread way off topic.

The OP asked about productivity to which you have not contributed. I do not question your love for Macs but please think about your responses before posting - you should really have started a new thread titled "I love my Mac" or something else to that effect.

Comments concerning installing drivers or software are not relevant to productivity - these things take up less than 1% of your computing time. The impression I get from you is that you've had difficulty with installing some stuff and you spend a lot of time installing and uninstalling stuff. Why? I really don't know. You must go through a lot of gear.

Ruski (if you're still around and haven't lost interest in this hijacked thread)

I still stand by my original post. It's not gonna be $3000 better. It is not gonna be $3000 more productive. It does not warrant paying $3000. Expose is not worth $3000.

Cheers again :)

3. Kharn

Kharn Member

See the world they said. So i bought a mac.
    :rolleyes: You say its not more productive? how do you know? You think i'm a complete fool and i'm making shit up :rolleyes: Alot of the productivity gains are in the really small things. Everything from an integrated instant search in the Operating System to informative widgets to Expose to drag and drop. There are many more little things that you would hardly notice but significantly improve the computing experience. I can't explain all of this, its easier if you just try it for a while. Its like trying to explain why a clickwheel is easier to use on an MP3 player. I bought my powerbook after being impressed by the ipod, i noticed that the same philosophy of ease of use and great design are right through out an apple product. I have not seen another laptop that oozes quality like the powerbook does and the same quality is in the software and operating system. Sure you could bang together an XP machine with your anti-virus, anti-spyware, Google desktop search, Samurize widgets but it has nowhere near the same feel and quality of an all in one product that outdoes all of those.

Perhaps if i can quote the Anandtech Article : "The G5 is a computer that I use on a daily basis and it's something that I do enjoy using. I find the multi-tasking capabilities, some of the little gems that I talked about throughout this article, and the overall stability of the platform to be great for most of the computer usage that I do on a day-to-day basis."

"In the end, Apple has developed a very strong platform. OS X is quite possibly one of the best operating systems of its time and in many ways, is the best for what it does, and Apple's hardware leaves very little to be desired."

Now when you have a $3000 XP laptop and a $3000 OSX laptop with similar features which are you going to pick? I can only recommend that the OP goes and tries a range of laptops to see which one suits them the best.

edit: the second Anandtech Article is also a great read looking at OSX on a powerbook.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  4. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

Except that he's already got a laptop that's perfectly fine, so it's not like he needs to make the choice between buying a Mac or Microsoft, when he can just save his $3k.

5. Beavy

Beavy Member

A small hand up in the corner in favour of a mac, but if youre told to wait for a 'better mac' and you can't, buy whatever suits you now.

Grab a second hand mac to try things out on, they hold their value much better than windows based machines, so if you don't like it, sell it :)

As far as productivity, ive never looked back (ibook G4). Everything just works and feels like its a joy to use, rather than a machine to be abused and fought against every time you want to do something. My housemates have played on my ibook when its downstairs, and one of them bought my g3 off me. His windows installed had bOrked and he hasnt bothered to fix it in three months...

I fantasize about a windows free lifestyle, but i am chained to my beloved shuttle every time i need a game fix... or when i need to mod something :D

6. Kharn

Kharn Member

Thats a good question, if it was a desktop then i would definately say yes its a great idea to get a powerbook. I personally would recommend that the OP waits for the new intel powerbooks. Not only because you probably will be able to dual boot XP and OSX(and linux if you like) but they will be the first significant changes to the powerbook in some time. Its already speculated that it will be up to 25% thinner and it will probably blow away everything currently on the market. The only downside is that some programs may still be on Emulation but from the test machines emulation is not that much slower than native programs. edit: also if you don't like something about the new PB's you could pick up the old version much cheaper.

Also i wouldn't be buying a laptop now for Vista, from all that i've seen it looks like there may be a significant performance hit like many of the previous MS updates. This is different to OSX where every update increases performance across the range. This is a benifit of tight control on hardware.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2005
  7. stroggos2k

stroggos2k Member

I'd be pretty sure his current machine, with a 9600 and 1.3gb of ram would run Vista just fine.

8. Mavrick

Mavrick Member

Ruski

Beavy has the right idea. Try a second hand one first if you can spare it. You can get a G3 iBook on Ebay with OS X 10.1 for about $300 or so.

Alternatively, someone you know might have the OS X for x86 distro that you might be able to try out on another PC or a virtual machine - just to get a feel for OS X.

But like I said in my first post, if you want one, then just get one - don't bother trying to justify it on the basis of productivity. It's fun to get what you want just because you can.

Karne

I don't think you're a fool but please don't misquote me. I did not say that it is "not more productive". I said it "is not gonna be $3000 more productive".

The question asked was "is it really THAT much better, that much more productive than WinXP? Does it warrant paying $3k~ when I could get a high-end Inspiron 9300 for that price? With Vista coming out, will that make Tiger redundant?"

In terms of this question, it is not that much more productive than WinXP anymore than switching from Mac to WinXP is that much more productive. There is not $3000 worth of productivity to be gained.

Cheers :)

9. Varuna

Varuna Member

Undervolted, mine goes for 8 1/4 hours on the 9 cell battery.

10. Eroda

Eroda Member

i skipped all this convo because it all makes 0 difference because in 2 months apple will be releasing a DC laptop which will be faster, sleeker and have longer batterylife than anything out there .

i doubt you will do anyting before christmas so why not wait till the start or the educational year before you make a descision

oh for your information about vista i ran it on a machine with 3.4 P4 with 1 gig of ram and a 9600SE vid card and it ran like a dog

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  11. xsive

xsive Member

Vista is a dog. To be more precise, it's seven different flavours of dog :p
    I made the switch a couple of months ago. As far as I'm concerned there are only two operating systems worth using: OSX and Fedora. Both seem to just work and the mac-like Gnome bindings are wonderful :)

I was beginning to hate using a computer after so many years of Windows. OSX changed that and made me enjoy using a PC as I haven't for so many years.

12. petfoodonly

petfoodonly Member

I've used Macs, windows and unixes at university and at home for a variety of applications. I hate all of them equally. I have a tablet PC as well, and it has it's own problems.

In my view determine what *software* capabilities you want, and then pick the platform that supports it. If your doing CAD/CAM work your pretty much stuck with windows for example. This makes a far bigger difference to how much you will enjoy using your laptop than the underlying operating system.

Your mileage my vary and just my opinion.

13. zeeth

zeeth Member

I agree, Petfoodonly.
    I also think expose' is cool....that's why my laptop runs topdesk http://www.otakusoftware.com/index.html
    My asus V6 (21st century industrial design, dreadful marketing), uses similar or higher spec components & is built as well if not better than the apple powerbooks (1990's industrial design, good marketing) that are made in the same factory in Taiwan.
    At the risk of getting flamed ( probably deservedly), I think the days of choosing between between 2 OS's & 2 technologies are drawing to a close.
    By the time you replace the laptop you buy this afternoon, ( 2 - 4 years ), there'll probably be no difference at all.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  14. xsive

xsive Member

I sure hope so. Man, I can't wait for Apple to bury Microsoft :D

15. Eroda

Eroda Member

if you read the first yonah tests its about as fast as a 3800+ dc a64 which is promising as i beleive apple will be putting dual 2.2 in pboks not dual 2.0 so muahah pbooks will be the fastest things onthe planet

16. Kharn

Kharn Member

The Case design is like the Operating System. It takes years for the cheap imitations to copycat OSX and Apple's design. And then Apple takes it to a another level leaving the competition behind once again. Sure you may have to pay more, but thats what you have to do to get the best. The most relevant comparison is Console vs PC gaming. Sure consoles catch up every 4 to 5 years but then PC graphics and innovation continues right throughout. Apple constantly improves its operating system while Windows upgrades every 3-4 years and even then is often behind.

I still have not seen a laptop that i would swap with my powerbook to use every day.

Also that expose copycat seems to consume a fair bit of resourses, doesn't have the smoothness and doesn't handle video or updating windows properly. However its nice to see that Windows has finally got an imitation of expose after so many years.

17. zeeth

zeeth Member

Please don't get me wrong, I wave no flag one way or the other. As Petfoodonly says, I loath MS & apple equally. I started out on Macs in the early 90's, with catastrophic results. Unreliable equipment, appalling aftersales service & buggy programs. PC's at the time were also irritating, but you had a broader pool of fellow users with the same problems.

I've been watching both companies & their products since their inception; both steal ideas from each other, buy out smaller companies & claim credit for their products, sue each other strategically, bury great ideas for stupid reasons & bullshit relentlessly. Neither company deserves "loyalty" that makes you tolerant, or blind, to their shortcomings. Personally, I am sad that we only have the gorrilla & a canary to choose from.

My next computer may well be an apple...we'll see in about a year. But it will cost more, not because it's better quality, or better designed, but because they just can't seem to sell enough of them.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2005
  18. Eroda

Eroda Member

i doubt you could expose while wathcing a dvd with that software, and then wathc the smaller window while its small then resize to it and have it all beign done smoothly no skips or frame drop

19. zeeth

zeeth Member

You're 100% right, of course. Nobody does clumsy as well as MS gui....

20. Kharn

Kharn Member

Maybe i've had a sheltered mac experience as i've only used one in the last two years but i'd say that they are almost like a different company. If you like the iPod you would probably like a Mac*.

*Gamers only excluded.