Thinking of using a 55" LG OLED for desktop monitor?

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by PLooB, Apr 7, 2020.

1. PLooB

PLooB Member

As the title says, I'm thinking of using a 55" LG OLED for my desktop monitor.

Probably 4K, and curved because I hear it's better for up close.

Tell me why this is a bad idea, or tell me why this is a good move.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  2. 335 GT

335 GT Member

Good luck.

Do you sit 2 feet away when you watch a TV?

3. hippyhippy

hippyhippy Member

u cant get curved anymore...

4. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

yeah only choice is LG 2019 B9/C9 or wait for 2020 CX 48"/55" (now delayed due to Corona) of course other brands that use 2019 panels (Sony & Hisense)

Personally I wouldnt use something that big as primary, I got 55" as secondary wall mounted to the side for some games. No bigger then 32" I think for main use. Also 4K clarity is over-rated.. 1440 on a 27" in heavy action looks almost as sharp (especially verse 55" 4k!) and you can get double the performance and enjoy a nice 100+ fps on a 144hz panel (if gaming is a factor)

I wouldnt use OLED as a main PC monitor either especially if not gaming and doing lots of processing work with burn in risks.

Ill be replacing my secondary 55" with the LG 48" CX when it drops.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  5. OP
    OP
    PLooB

PLooB Member

I'm using it for work and standard PC stuff. My mate has a 65" and says you get used to it.

Correct. I was going to look for last year's model, but I'll just get it new.

Cheers. Will go with the OLED55C9PTA

I saw a recently expired deal on Ozbargain for $1780. But will have to wait for the next one to come along!

walker_2003 likes this.
  6. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Awesome, I might even be tempted by one if another good deal comes up.

PLooB likes this.
  7. ayles

ayles Member

I used a 50" plasma when it came out for about a decade, you do get used to it and it's awesome.

8. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

I sit like 1.5 feet from my 40" Samsung 4k. It has better PPI than your ordinary 24" 1080p monitor so it looks beautiful and has a sweet as response time. I love the immersion and having to look around and turn my head even in the forums.
    However 55" could be pushing limits if you're really close! But try it... I could never go back to anything small again, just can't do it. Could be what you need. If it is only 1080p you will hate life. 4k+ only.

Image of it in this thread for demonstration purposes, 500ML Asahi beer for scale!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
    Fortigurn likes this.
  9. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Nice, bout as big as I could go with a primary.

What model Samsung? KU7000? Shame they dont do their higher end stuff in smaller sizes.

Nethiuz likes this.
  10. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

Yeah i think 40" is sweet spot, 43" i could do as it seems a common size.

Model is UA40KU600WXXY - 2 years old. It actually had major issues out of warranty (12 months) with purple patches on the screen but Samsung acknowledged it as a common fault and replaced free. I love the monitor but i would go Sony next time. Japanese.
    Completely personal experiences but my Samsung microwave died, so did the Samsung Split system, so i will avoid the brand now. However i applaud their out of warranty work.

11. Azzan

Azzan Member

For around the same money I rather get 56"(~5K resolution 2x 49" DQHD SUW) setup like Linus..

12. Nethiuz

Nethiuz Member

That's a cool as setup, i would prefer it in one piece for gaming pleasure but pretty hectic Ultrawide double stack, would be good for movies too!

13. ayles

ayles Member

Bezels would do my head in. Straight 40-55" anyday

Nethiuz likes this.
  14. slavewone

slavewone Member

So today I took delivery of a free monitor off FB marketplace. Apparently it has a bright spot. Listing didn’t mention size or model and it looked like 27” so I got dibs for home office work to replace the Samsung 172x I bought here years ago.

Here it is. Phillips BDM4350. OMFG.

6CB01EBC-9B15-4920-8FD0-4EAF67AA7F36.jpeg

15. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Nice score. I've got the 43" too. It's a lovely monitor. Sit around 700mm from the screen that's about 2ft. It's fantastic. So much real estate. You get used to it. It's not a TV and you should sit 2 ft away from your monitor if you're using as a monitor. If you're using it as a TV sit a couple feet further back.

16. caspian

caspian Member

I just got a curved 38" that I sit about 600mm back from. 43" would be huge, I looked at one but I flat out do not have the physical desk space to fit one. still getting used to how to efficiently use the real estate. at 3840x1600 it is maxing out the resolution of my work laptop anyway.

17. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

18. sTeeLzor

sTeeLzor Member

I put my 55" on my desk to test how I would handle it. Poorly is the correct answer. I established to be comfortable to use, I would have to be at LEAST 1200mm away from the display. Its just too big to be on a desk and any closer. YMMV depending on how much you dont mind moving your whole head to see your screen. And I REALLY wanted it to work :D

19. Arctic_Silver08

Arctic_Silver08 Member

I used my LG 55 Oled as my monitor (Wall mounted), I did get used to it, but it wasn't nice.
    Biggest killer for me was the mouse input lag

20. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

I think it depends on what you do with it. For me using 2 x 25" monitors works very well since I can snap things to half/full windows very easily and can have two "full screen" applications visible at once. Bezels don't bother me since it's usually two or more separate applications anyway. Those ultra wide jobs looks OK, if you really didn't want the bezel in the middle, but I don't know how they go for ease of arranging things. Also they were more expensive than two normal monitors anyway.

I did consider a single larger 2560 x 1440 or 4K monitor instead, but ultimately liked dual screens better. Often I have two separate machines with one on each screen, switching the keyboard input from one to the next (I have two Logitech dongles and a button on the keyboard to switch). Can't do that with a single monitor.

Width wise, my screens are 557mm wide each, so 1,114mm total and 331 mm high. The random 40" Samsung I looked up is 917.7 x 596mm so only slightly narrower and not as tall, but really quite similar across the desk.