Third party companies that does cyber-security audits?

Discussion in 'Business & Enterprise Computing' started by akumi, Feb 18, 2019.

1. akumi

akumi Member

Not sure whether this is the right section to post, looking for recommendations for a company to do a cyber-security audit for a 100 employees environment? Based in Melbourne.

Also feel free to suggest if anyone knows about websites & resources that has info on self internal audits that would be great as well. Thanks!

2. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

Are you needing to produce a report for compliance purposes or something warm and fuzzy to become shelf ware?

Do you need code review or are we talking about best practices overview inch deep mile wide?

Check out the ASD ISM, essential 8 these days and the PCI-DSS SAQs. If you're owned these days the OAIC will nail you with their guidelines (a vague ruler of sorts)

I could suggest some people although it's difficult without some more details.

3. OP
    OP
    akumi

akumi Member

Thanks Doc-of-FC for replying. Yeah, needing it to produce a report for compliance as the company's client sometimes requests for it when they use the company's services.questions like eg

1) Do you have any security related certifications
    2) Pls provide a copy of your documented information risk management process and scope
    3) Please provide most recent relevant risk assessment report (redacted where necessary)
    4) Do you have cyber insurance?
    5) How does management get assurance that security standards and procedures are properly followed (e.g. independent assessment)?

and tons more questions.

Thanks again for the suggestion of "ASD ISM, essential 8 these days and the PCI-DSS SAQs." i will google and find out whatever that is, first time i've come across it lol

4. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

... compliance with what standard?

5. chip

chip Member

"best practice"

6. scrantic

scrantic Member

Search this forum for penetration testing

7. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

Pay me a carton of beer and i'll certify you on my best practice :p Seriously though, that's not exactly a well-defined or sensible outcome, is it? If a customer is stupid enough to say "best practice" without defining what that means, then surely you can say "box ticked, we have passwords" or some such thing.

8. Doc-of-FC

Doc-of-FC Member

9. chip

chip Member

Oh I see you have worked with my parent org's senior IT leadership team before.

10. OP
    OP
    akumi

akumi Member

Thanks heaps for that, i will have a good read, at least that a good starting point :D

PS. Love all the different comments from everyone especially the funny ones.

11. Daemon

Daemon Member

What's your current security process based on? Do you have someone in charge of security within your org? With 100 people, you're wasting your time to get an audit done if you don't already have a security framework in place and have internal audits to determine any deficiencies.

I've yet to read a pen test report which was worth the paper it was PDF'ed on. Even the bigger orgs simply run an automated scanner and top and tail the report, so it won't make you "secure". There are good testers out there, but if you're sub 20k budget wise then you're not going to see a result worth worrying about.

12. OP
    OP
    akumi

akumi Member

Regarding current security, I'm the one in charge now, it's based on some self penetration tests, standard internal policies like declassifying data after a project, strong hardware firewall, bitlocker on hard drives, and a lot of things. To be honest, the previous IT team who's done this did a great job, just that they are not good on the documentation side, i'm discovering new things as I go.

Thanks for your suggestion, any free resources/guide as a starting point on diy own security audit so i can tick my own boxes?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  13. Urbansprawl

Urbansprawl Member

Have a read of:

https://www.bsigroup.com/LocalFiles...SI-ISOIEC27001-Assessment-Checklist-UK-EN.pdf

to get a general idea. A lot of security audits will focus much more on your documented security policies and procedures, rather than security controls like firewalls etc.

The stereotype about security people is that they are either screwdriver guys or clipboard guys. Most business audits are about clipboards - they will be asking to see the documented data encryption policy, rather than checking if you have bitlocker. They may ask to see bitlocker as evidence that the documented policy is being followed however.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
    Daemon and akumi like this.
  14. Daemon

Daemon Member

There's a heap of info out there: http://www.iso27001security.com/html/toolkit.html

If you align yourself to 27001 standards, then you'll be on the right track. It's an arduous task to create from scratch, but setting a decent IT security policy and self auditing will be far more effective in security than paying an external contractor to highlight 500+ failings.

akumi likes this.
  15. Aich-Kay

Aich-Kay Member

good resources above! Having just going through a SOC2 audit its also pretty relevant

akumi likes this.