Thirsty Boiiii

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by illdrag0n, Jan 12, 2019.

1. illdrag0n

illdrag0n Member

Hey guys, currently running a Gigabyte RTX 2080 Windforce OC in my rig and its THIRSTY in idle with 2 monitors.

upload_2019-1-11_23-50-41.png

upload_2019-1-11_23-51-33.png

the clock in older driver generations would go down to 300mhz, and the power consumption was closer to 22w.

I've got the windows power mode set to balanced and the Nvidia performance mode set to optimal.

I've tried a DDU and reinstall to latest drivers. I have also reinstalled the packaged Aourus software, and run in both standard and OC modes.

I dont really want to roll back to release drivers as theres been a number of bug fixes since, but i cringe to think what SA power prices are doing to my bill.

Any suggestions? What do you guys with multi monitors (144hz) and a 2080 idle at?

Wozzernux likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    illdrag0n

illdrag0n Member

Looks like i fixed my own issue. Apparently it's a known feature of multi monitors on Nvidia cards.

I managed to fix by installing Nvidia Inspector and right-clicking the "Show overclocking" button in the bottom right corner. Select Multi Display power saver and change your settings there.

Core and memory clocks are now much lower, as well as power consumption and temps;

upload_2019-1-12_0-17-15.png

Wozzernux likes this.
  3. Wozzernux

Wozzernux Member

A single nvidia card with a single display should idle around 5% TDP and draw 10W in 2D mode.

Had this problem for years with every nvidia card in multi monitor setups, the driver forces 3D mode when more than one display is connected :thumbdn:

My solution has been to plug in a second nvidia card to run additional displays, and just run my main display from my main card.

4. Sledge

Sledge Member

weird.. i've got 2 screens connected and mine's fine
    [​IMG]

5. OP
    OP
    illdrag0n

illdrag0n Member

Can i ask -

What cables (dp/hdmi), what res and what refresh rate?

6. OP
    OP
    illdrag0n

illdrag0n Member

this is what happens when i disconnect 1 monitor

upload_2019-1-12_11-7-31.png

7. Sledge

Sledge Member

dp to dvi active converter to first screen
    and dp to dvi cable to second screen