THIS is how you promote Linux :)

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Drunkmunky, May 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drunkmunky

Drunkmunky Member

By having a cute nerdy chick make linux tutorials :)

Like this one on converting video formats under linux. I'll be damned if a million windows nerds don't run off to try Linux after a convincing video like that :thumbup:

2. Bangers

Bangers Member

That's a lot of 'cute nerdy chicks' we'll need every type of Video converters available to an end user.

I'm afraid this is impossible because even with the current world population, we physically don't have enough girls available to use.

Total number of 'cute nerdy chicks' required = num_distros * num_of_apps * wheel_reinvented num_of_times_that_app_has_been_rewritten

However, we may be able to argue that we stick to standards therefore opening up the door to allow us to use the same girl for each app. I wouldn't want to be the guy having to explain to said girl why she needs to re-do the same video with a different GUI 47 times.

3. KRiSX

KRiSX Member

rofl... nice!

not much more to say really...

4. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member

I can see this going places...

5. tzortst

tzortst Member

But how do I do it with clicking of my mouse?

6. Taceo Corpus

Taceo Corpus Member

After 40 seconds my eyes were like "Uhm, what the fuck, mate, we don't go for those colours on a human being. Look away, now before we shrivel up and die."

Seriously, she needs to film out of the sun. :thumbdn:

7. Blinky

Blinky Member

http://winff.org/html/

Nice vid linkage - Ta

A website "Tutes with Tits" now that could sell memberships! :D

8. Genarator

Genarator Member

People will convert to linux to convert video formats which is very simple and easy on windows?

I cant see that happening sorry.

9. tzortst

tzortst Member

10. Smokin Whale

Smokin Whale Member

What, how the hell is that easy and/or practical. I'd even prefer using SUPER.

11. Tapek

Tapek Member

ITT: Linux nerds thinking a very average looking chick with bad colour in a video will make people use linux. :)

12. stmok

stmok Member

Thanks for the generalisation. :rolleyes:

13. mwil7034

mwil7034 Member

I like the quote in the top of the video at the start
    "Geek + Sun = FF0000!"

Gold!

14. nav

nav Member

haha - she's so, like, whateverrrr.

-nav (i need to start using linux more)

15. Farkenell

Farkenell Member

What tools do you use? I have found everything to be all over the place to find a common tool that is even useful for what I had wanted to do.

I have found I think its called dvdripper on linux which looks promising, I haven't managed to have a look at it yet however.

I haven't really understood how container formats work...or any tools to do this....(on windows anyway). most programs just do the basic convert.

16. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

17. irR4tiOn4L

irR4tiOn4L Member

Sorry, not convinced. Like many of the windows nerds your talking about running off to Linux, i actually tried it, and thats the principal reason i dont use it. Everything is 'functional' but really ends up needing the backend console. I tried to plug in a second mouse, wasnt supported and put both mice out of action. Because i didnt know the console commands and the keyboard shortcuts werent sufficient to get to the controllers screen, i had to have the installer set up mice again. Drivers are annoying to install, everything has to be re-learnt. I managed to screw up making a shortcut; even thats harder than windows.

And now, I ask, for what? What can Linux do that Windows cant?
    Nothing, and theres your principal problem with Linux. Its always justified 'its free' but if i already have windows, what do i care? I can do anything on Windows, while Linux cant do a great deal Windows can (games).

A good site with informed complaints ( http://www.whylinuxsucks.org/ )

Good for a second/backup operating system, or a mobile device, but its not going to replace my Windows OS no matter how many 'cute nerdy chicks' (which dont draw me) are promoting it. How many of those are promoting windows, or Mac os?

Ill be keeping my Windows thankyou very much

18. Farkenell

Farkenell Member

I actually prefer the console. the command prompt is so horrible! ><

when you get more familiar with the console there are so many things you can get done more quickly.

19. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

So if I send the Feds around to make sure you have a legitimate copy of all the software on your computer you will be able to comply?

GNU Software has no cost to comply with the copyright holders.

As for the rest of your post, Windows 2000 behaves badly when you plug in a USB anything, therefore Vista must also suck... I just plugged in a mouse to my laptop and have the touchpad active works fine with 2 pointing devices. Desktop Linux improves alot faster than Windows so any experience you had even 6 months ago may be a mute point, but still a valid point, and games will only ever work on Linux and Windows when a non proprietary platform is used, IE not Direct X.

Doom 3/Quake 4 and UT2003 worked out of the box on Linux because they utilised OpenGL and DirectX in their engines so it can be done, besides Consoles will soon replace PC's especially the next generation as Console Games sales are much higher than PC based games but thats another discussion.

This topic has been discussed (more like argued to death) on this forum over and over again, facts it is impossible to gauge Linux desktop uptake and alot would dual boot Windows, but Windows is still the main install because people hate change and it comes already installed.

But I agree this is not a reason people will switch.

20. Blinky

Blinky Member

This sort of thing has been done to death before, but hey one more for the road. Yes it's different to Windows and you will have to learn it, just like you had to learn Windows when you had no idea about that....
    Making a shortcut is just the same, as easy as right clicking on the desktop and browsing for the target.

Most games are written for Windows code base. FFS, it's like saying Windows is crap cuz it won't run my MAC apps.

I think that might be a very good idea. The best part is that Linux will still be here offering choice in the future, should you or anyone else ever want it.

While we are having a poke at OS's, I installed Windows 7 the other day. It took forever, when it got there there was no email client, no image burning software, no office apps, it didn't have the wireless or video card drivers....

I'll be keeping my Linux thank you very much and I'd be happy to pay for it too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.