1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

“This Lens is Soft”…. and other Myths

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by gothemar0ons, Mar 23, 2011.

1. gothemar0ons

gothemar0ons Member

2. Athiril

Athiril Member

"Camera sensors, as they always do, have increased in resolution, magnifying any flaws in the lens. What might not be noticeable on an 8 Mpix crop sensor can be frighteningly obvious on a 21 Mpix full frame camera."

Idiots. That's the same resolution. The only thing noticeable is the extra corners.

And in actual fact, comparing the same kind of picture.. ie: 50mm vs 85mm from the same subject to distance on the too.. any flaws are going to be smaller on the full frame 21mp camera (same print/viewing size).

Last edited: Mar 23, 2011
  3. vindicator

vindicator Member

A lot of words that I shall not read.

You know it when you see it.

4. Awesomesauce

Awesomesauce (Banned or Deleted)

hahaha canon rumours.

5. OP
    OP
    gothemar0ons

gothemar0ons Member

Pixel density aside, one subject framed identically with both cameras, of course the 21mp sensor will show lens flaws better than the 8mp, that’s how I read it the authors intent anyway.

CR is alright for a light entertainment, not as good as Charlie Sheen, but worth a browse every now and then, and besides, CR is not the author of the article ;)

6. Awesomesauce

Yeah but you don't see real journos writing for Zoo magazine, do you?

7. Zee

Zee Member

I'll believe that when I see it, though the Earthquake thing has boosted grey prices, so the likely net result is 0...

Z...

8. OP
    OP
    gothemar0ons

gothemar0ons Member

I have an uncle who was once a journalist, he reckons 90% of the current crop are ambulance chasers. Sorry I've never read Zoo, I assume it's something like People?

9. Awesomesauce

tbh most people in any profession are really shit???

10. ToanIsAnIdiot

ToanIsAnIdiot Member

It was actually originally written up on the Lensrental.com blog from way back and for some reason they recently allowed CR to republish it yesterday.

Not too sure if it means that the article is more or less valid but I did find that their article on acronyms for various types of bad wedding photographers a fun read.

11. OP
    OP
    gothemar0ons

gothemar0ons Member

Actually the more I think about it the more I believe Athiril is correct, but this is only one aspect of the article.

12. Athiril

Athiril Member

Other way around actually, they're the same resolution and the 8mp is enlarged more for the same viewing size/print size, as its lower lpph (obviously).

Fail article is fail.

That's how a photographer uses a camera.

They want to take picture X. Picture X as certain perspective (determined by subject to distance Y, so maintaining picture X requires the same field of view and hence different focal length on different format), Picture X will be viewed at S size and D distance.

You can't see more lens flaws with the 21mp image unless you make a bigger print or viewing size at the same distance by a factor bigger than the crop factor, and in that case, the original source image have the same flaws since it's the same lens and detail level (not how a photographer shoots, but how an internet expert "does").

"Camera sensors, as they always do, have increased in resolution, magnifying any flaws in the lens. What might not be noticeable on an 8 Mpix crop sensor can be frighteningly obvious on a 21 Mpix full frame camera." <-- 21 vs 8mp hasn't increased in resolution, it's the same, it'd be an increase if it was the same format, and even if it was, flaws are not magnified at the same print/viewing size. Eg 12mp FF vs 21mp FF, you would need a larger print size/viewing size to see more flaws, eg 100% crop vs 100% crop, using the camera like a photographer would, wanting to make X image with S print or viewing size... no. So even that doesn't exactly hold up..

Much of the article relies on that. It is a crutch of the article, and it is wrong. You only get extra corners, and it is of lower enlargement for the same print/viewing size anyway. Using a longer focal length lens usually comes with a bigger image circle as well. Esp teles.. even the 17mm TS-E covers medium format with movements.

Eg, 5D II = 78 lp/mm, 30D = 77.9 lp/mm.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011
  13. EarlGrey

EarlGrey Member

I read the original lensrentals article quirte some time ago, I thought the part about tolerances between lens and mount and focus calibration was quite interesting, it helped make back/front focusing problems people have, esp. with third party lenses, make a bit more sense.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2011