Thoughts/Ideas Corsair H50 mod (kinda)

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by massiveoni, May 16, 2010.

1. massiveoni

massiveoni Member

heya,

i am getting tomorrow one of the corsair h50 water cooling kits, and ive watched a few of the video reviews, and installation guides (mainly cause im bored at work, like now), and i have had a brain wave (and yes it did hurt)

ok here is my idea

on 2 of the video install guides it says that you should have the air getting pulled in from the back of the case.
    i was going to replace the stock corsair fan, for a pair of noctua nf-s12bflx fans i bought the other week, but that is not the brain wave.

the brain wave was, having the hot air vented straight out of the case via the fan is the side of the case, but the only problem is that i cant find 120mm fan tubing, i can only find the 80mm tubing

so the 2 questions i have is

1. does anyone know where i can get the 120mm fan tubing from

and

2. if i use the 120mm to 80mm reducer to attach it to the fan, and then 80mm tubing, and then a 80mm to 120mm expander to attach it to the side of the case, will it stuff anything up, cause of pressure build up or anything like that.

just in case i havent explained myself very well, this is how i have thought of setting it up

(case wall) (120mm fan) (corsair radiator) (120mm fan) (120mm to 80mm reducer) (80mm tube) (80mm to 120mm expander) (side panel)

i hope someone other than myself can understand that.

ideas anyone?

thanks

2. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

I have no idea what you're talking about.

If all of that is just to increase air flow/pressure to the radiator of the H50, I wouldn't bother. You will see 1-2c at best from increased pressure. Replacing the stock fan with decent fans in push pull config is a good idea though and you should around 6c difference in temperatures there. YMMV

3. Jazz

Jazz Member

He's trying to use a pipe to move the exhaust air from the rad to the side of the case, where another fan will move that hot air out.

Easier way is mount the a fan to the back of your case, add the rad then the other fan, and exhaust the hot air direct. While corsair say to use the fan to suck air in your case, its just dumping in the case and heating everything up, most people went WTF and exhaust the air.

If you have positive pressure in your case, your good to go with mounting it as an exhaust.

4. OP
    OP
    massiveoni

massiveoni Member

yeh that is right jazz, i want to use the push pull method using my 2 noctua fans, and then pipe the hot air out of the case,

but case the fans are 120mm, does anyone know where i can buy 120mm tubing which will mount to the fans, otherwise ill have to use 80mm tube and use the reducer, but will the reducer have a effect on the air flow that is the thing?

5. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Ah I get ya now, why the hell would they recommend you draw air into your case from a place usually reserved for exhausting? Thats just idiotic.

I still don't think the tubing to the side fan is necessary though. Just have the fan config, so it draws air from the case and dumps it out of the case.

6. OP
    OP
    massiveoni

massiveoni Member

does anyone know where i can get the 120mm fan tubing? cause i have been trawling the net for the last 4 or so hours, while have been at work, and i can only find 1 seller on ebay which has 80mm tubing.

thanks

7. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

You blind or just not open to sensible options?

8. OP
    OP
    massiveoni

massiveoni Member

no, not blind, i have full use of both of my eyes, and i am open to sensible options, but i just want to give it a shot as see how things turn out, or do you have to force your ideas on to other people.

9. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Nope, just found it wierd that you weren't even acknowledging other peoples suggestions.
    You seem pretty stuck on the idea so I'll try to help.
    I'm pretty sure I saw a 120mm fan duct on pccg not too long ago, it was only short but you could run that from the fan and then attach the 80mm tubing to that.
    Will try to find the duct and link you.

EDIT: AS stated in the other thread you just posted in, you could check out bunnings. Might have what you're after.

Last edited: May 16, 2010
  10. OP
    OP
    massiveoni

massiveoni Member

heya dude,

yeh cheers for looking, i have had a quick look at pc case gear, but i have had no luck, but it doesnt help that i am at work and tired, so i didnt look very hard.

atm, i have justed out ebay, and they have the neon blue 80mm tubing, but i was hoping to find something which is either clear or just black, but if need be i can just get the blue stuff.

thanks

11. jjjc_93

jjjc_93 Member

Yeah I had a look around pccg and I couldnt find it again either. Only place I can think of for you to try is Bunnings. They'll no doubt have ducts there, hopefully in 120mm aswell.

12. OP
    OP
    massiveoni

massiveoni Member

yeh i was going to have a look in bunnings when i get some rdo's which will be tuesday, but the last time i got some tubing from there is but overpriced, so i think i will just get it from ebay.

cheers for the help dude.