Thoughts on Ultra Wide Monitors

Discussion in 'Video Cards & Monitors' started by PsydFX, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Jlirv

Jlirv Member

Honestly I have a X34 and when high refresh rate 4k monitors become more affordable I'll switch. I love 16:9 because of YouTube and Netflix . For productivity multi monitor is the bomb, my dream set up has always been 1+3.

I currently run a 4k IPS and X34 ultrawide main.

2. Zodiac87

Zodiac87 Member

hijacking thread. X34P is 600 dollars cheaper than the AW3418DW. Any reason to not buy it compared to the AW3418DW apart from Dell's better warranty support? Same panel.

3. Scraperage

Scraperage Member

How can 3840 X 1080 possibly be enough. That's just two 1920 x 1080 monitors side by side.

Get the LG 43UD79-B. Then you'll have two by two 1920 x 1080 monitors! And keep a spare beside it in portrait mode.

Like this, except the landscape monitor is large!

[​IMG]

4. nope

nope Member

if you dont wunna spend the $$$ like i did get one used

5. Skyw4rp

Skyw4rp Member

I've been thinking about getting an ultrawide myself. The price difference is a bit closer than 600 dollars when they're both on special (admittedly at different times). I'm leaning towards the AW3418DW exactly for the fact that if I'm spending so much money already, the monitor better almost be perfect, so I'm willing to pay an extra couple of hundred to avoid the panel lottery.

6. rireland

rireland Member

enjoy the 2 bezels and gap in the middle of your display...

7. Scraperage

Scraperage Member

Only if you sit the middle (which some do with dual monitors). You can centre one as your main monitor, and have your secondary to the side!

8. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

I went from 34" Ultrawide to 3x 30". Bezels doesn't bother me and love the extra width and height. Now on 43" 4k + 27" in portrait. I prefer both options more than a single ultra wide and bezels doesn't really make any difference.

9. hawks667

hawks667 Member

3 x 32' Philips 328B6QJEB 2560x1440 for me. Work from home 2 days a week & its so much better than the 2 x HD 24' screens i have in the office..

Only issue is the bloody size of them, just about get a sore neck with all the head turning....

10. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

AW3418DW is not perfect. I was one of the early adopters. I had a shockingly slow delivery date with no feedback. A ETA which was a lie when I ordered and then my panel turned up and it had meh levels of backlight bleed that have since gotten far worse and turned awful. I'm going to RMA it any day now.

Fantastic in gaming but if you get unlucky...

11. OP
    OP
    PsydFX

PsydFX Member

Seems to be the way for anything AW / Dell.

12. nope

nope Member

+1 on the size its like two 24" 16:10 monitors side by side especially if you got a bigboi 34"+

13. jtam01

jtam01 Member

I use a 34" 3440 x 1440 for work and gaming. When gaming,I sometimes get frustrated with the lack of support for UW, black bars or they cut off the top and bottom of a 16:9 to fit into full screen 21:9. When the game does support it I love it.

From a work perspective what do you use it for? I work from home quite a bit with common programs being excel, word, outlook,PDF and PowerPoint. I don't really see much downside coming from the office with dual 22" monitors to a single 34". Courtesy of the windows screen splitting shortcuts. Within excel I find it better than a dual monitor set up no bezels in the middle which permits greater attention to detail and allows me to view the flow of information better.

Currently considering adding a second monitor as I do at times open my laptop screen as a second workspace.

Good luck with the decision!

nope likes this.
  14. nope

nope Member

on the topic of 21:9 wtf is this horseshit
    2x the price[​IMG]

15. Skyw4rp

Skyw4rp Member

Thanks for the heads up re: QC, something for me to think about...

16. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

They will warranty it I can't see how they cannot

17. Skyw4rp

Skyw4rp Member

Oh, I know they will, but it's making me think twice because who wants to go through a few rounds of warranty as well...

18. nope

nope Member

When will 21:9 oleds come out? I love the aspect ratio but cant stand the current panel tech

19. Riccardo351

Riccardo351 Member

To me the Alienware AW3418DW seems like the perfect monitor if we are talking about ultra wide/gaming monitor. I can't really find anything else better then it atm. Until Acer and ASUS come out with the 200hz HDR monitors the AW3418DW might be at the top till late 2018 if not 2019. That being said

I do have a question for Ultra Wide monitor gamers..
    I've been looking around and i'm after one aswell but scratching my head if i should go UW 1440p or go with a 27" 1440p. I know a preference question is quite silly but if you go wide is it hard to go back? Are they really that good or do they suck? and money being not the option and gaming being in mind of judgment.

20. Chamelion

Chamelion Member

I changed from an asus 144hz 2k screen that I loved to an acer 34" screen... I felt a bit meh about the changeover at first, but now I love it and wouldn't want to go back.