1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on vertical-oriented mini ITX cases?

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by juzz86, Jan 22, 2022.

1. juzz86

juzz86 Member

G'day,

Embarking on a bit of a downsize project, seeking to expand my knowledge on vertical m-ITX cases.

I've done ITX before but had a bit more desk last time and used the Thermaltake Suppressor F1, which I put a glass window in and enjoyed for a time.

Currently using a Silverstone RL08 which I've loved, but it encroaches a bit on the new desk arrangement so I'd like to gain back a bit of the RL08's 430mm depth.

I've all but settled on a Thermaltake Tower 100 - I like the design, I'm not chasing the absolute lowest cubic volume and it ticks the boxes in footprint. I've also been eyeing the Phanteks Shift 2, but I think the z-height might give me issues with cable length and I don't want to have to extend everything.

Considerations which might be relevant:

- Machine is custom-looped CPU/GPU with an external self-contained MORA. I don't need radiator/pump/res mounts or have to worry about any clearances except GPU connector block depth really.

- I do need to be able to discreetly fit two bulkhead fittings as passthroughs for the water tubes.

- I would like at least a single mount for an intake fan for positive pressure, especially if the case is not sealed.

- I am not incorporating RGB into the next rebuild, so visibility is of less concern than dust ingress (we get a lot).

- I have a 1080Ti, so it needs at least 2-slot GPU compatibility to 280mm. Gen3 riser is fine.

- Big ATX PSU compatibility a plus but not a necessity.

- I don't want an open-air 'frame' thing.

Shortlist:

- Thermaltake Tower 100 (it's 280mm square footprint, which is about what I've got to work with)
    - SSUPD Meshlicious TG (tiny, looks lovely but the dust ingress will be a concern)
    - G.Skill Z5i (I love it but it's exorbitantly expensive, long to source and a bit big in footprint)
    - Phanteks Evolv Shift 2 TG (love the looks, but might give me cable issues and be tricky to pass water through)
    - Jonsbo V11 (a bit tricky to source, but ideal design)

I'm aware of a few popular others, but I'm not spending $500 to get a case here - those days are gone.

Anyone seen anything about that I'm missing?

2. Wacko02

Wacko02 Member

Interesting project Juzzy, specially given some of your requirements and restrictions. The Meshi is a great case, but will struggle in a dusty environment though by it's very nature. Jonsbo looks good but very little room on the rear (or base?) for the water fittings bulkhead. G.Skill case would be good from a dust perspective though and certainly different. Phanteks is pretty damn tall for a desk system (nearly 0.5m high), so I'd probably stick with the Tower 100 if I was you, although it's still a big footprint if all the cooling is being done externally.

juzz86 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    juzz86

juzz86 Member

Backing myself into a bit of a corner mate, I know!

I did miss the NZXT H1 off the list - apart from the price, the form factor is bang on and it's hot. Knowing NZXT it will probably be hot in two ways though, plus I don't need the AIO or PSU really.

It is a lot of footprint, Ratzz (hope you're doing alright mate!) made this point also back when I did the Suppressor - but floorspace isn't a concern and I don't even count the MORA in the footprint. It's a handy foot fan/warmer under the desk depending on the ambient, and eventually when I find an end-game desk it'll be mounted underneath permanently.

I'll pop a photo up tonight of the desk space - might help to visualise it a bit more.

I'm probably not going to do much better with ticking boxes than the Tower for the price though - it also doesn't have top I/O, which will save a reboot or two a year from the cats while they get cozy on top during winter.

I kind of hoped someone would barge in with a "So much for doing all your research you wanker, you forgot x, y and z!" sort of thing :p :thumbup:

4. Wacko02

Wacko02 Member

The research part is where all the fun is though right? Building a custom loop in a Meshi is my next project so trying to work out what options I have for a pump/res and how the hell i'm going to run the loop, as well as trying to justify to myself the exorbitant cost of buying another GPU for my "2nd" system! :lol:

The H1 looks very nice to, but would have similar problems with dust as the Meshi I suspect, and comes with a heap of stuff you don't need (PSU and AIO as you noted).

juzz86 likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    juzz86

juzz86 Member

Ah - I'll be watching with interest then. There's a few DDC-enabled CPU block options now - they incorporate a little res with them.

The H1 is filtered at least - I can live with filters, it's straight mesh or holes that I can't do.

Also eyeing the Silverstone LD03AF, and maybe an M1 - I think I could get away with 300mm depth if I had to.

Also found Aklla - in particular the A5 and A5 Max which look alright. I also enjoy the idea of a ZS ST, especially the ported GPU I/O - but again, filters.

That CaseEnd site is shit hot.

6. woja

woja Member

I love the Meshi that I built for the missus. Super easy to build in especially if you're going for non internal cooling. Sure you can cram it to the gills with a 280mm and 240mm dual rad and internal pump etc but there are a few builds which are nice and elegant relying on the MORA.
    You can always use a magnetic mount dust filter behind the front mesh panel in front of the fans to reduce the dust problem since all the other panels will be exhaust anyway.

Here's a few external rad builds which I think are pretty cool from reddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/SSUPD/comm.../?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

https://www.reddit.com/r/SSUPD/comments/s4w7n9/meshless/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

juzz86 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    juzz86

juzz86 Member

That first one is smoking - I'm not a parallel flow fella, but the symmetry is beautiful and the terminations to the QDCs at the back are lovely. I have the same cables for my SFX PSU, so it's nice to see them in service.

The second one I like bits and pieces - the red/blue external fittings are a nice washing-machine touch, and I absolutely rate the hose wraps.

Is there room to squeeze a DemCi or something behind the intake mesh? I could do that for sure.

I hate that the PCIE riser is $120 extra.

8. woja

woja Member

20220123_222333.jpg 20220123_222326.jpg
    Should be able to. The frame is taller than a 280mm rad and the same width as.
    Yeah, sucks about the price of a pcie 4 riser. I just have the default 3.0 as it's only a 3070 in there at the moment.
    Yeah the back of the case lends itself well to bulkheads, plenty of area top and bottom to choose from.

juzz86 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    juzz86

juzz86 Member

Oh that's very pretty. Yeah it'd only be the mag tape thickness, so that looks good - cheers mate.

So does my $179 at PCCG get me a PCIE 3.0 riser by default? It doesn't mention it at all - I assumed it shipped bare.

10. woja

woja Member

It comes with the 3.0 riser as default for the $189
    $279 for the 4.0

juzz86 likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    juzz86

juzz86 Member

Awesome - nowhere is that written, thanks mate.

What do we think about this one: DarkFlash DLH21

Obviously a notch down in quality, but I like the top design.

12. woja

woja Member

juzz86 likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    juzz86

juzz86 Member

Ohh that's smoking hot, I love it. No top I/O is the dream, but remarkably hard to find this side of $250.

Project Hyte colours are fantastic - Liquidhaus has good taste :thumbup:

woja likes this.
  14. Wacko02

Wacko02 Member

the Hyte one looks pretty good and much better laid out internally, although doesn't come in pink like the Darkflash box so :thumbdn: :lol:

15. OP
    OP
    juzz86

juzz86 Member

Yeah, I love it. Tracking one down seems to be an issue without a freight forwarder though.

I am actually half-tempted on the white DLH21 - white tubing and silver fittings to match the PSU cables. But none of it will be visible - so the TG Meshlicious makes more sense if I'm going to co-ordinate the insides. Lack of 140mm mounts in the DLH21 is a bit of a pisser too - all my good non-RGB fans are 140s, I'd have to rummage through the drum for a matching pair of decent 120s.