Threadripper 3rd Gen

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by the_antipop, Nov 8, 2019.

1. chook

chook Member

I think that for people who have a genuine need for a Threadripper platform the cost isn't an issue compared to the productivity gains to be had. That probably isn't helping the price point from the perspective of even a bunch of enthusiasts on a forum like this. As much as the platform is positioned as a HEDT platform it really is a workstation platform for people in a business setting where the extra cost is offset by the shorter time to deliver the output of the workload.

I still feel that I have to say that it is a bloody expensive proposition if you can't write it off on tax somehow.

2. bobsled

bobsled Member

The CPU prices over last gen can be somewhat justified, however motherboards are just expensive because reasons.

Unfortunately the entry price for third gen threadripper is beyond most enthusiasts would be prepared to part with under “fun money”.

I bought into first and second gen, and despite the massive performance uplift I just can’t do the +60% upgrade price.

3. chook

chook Member

Have to agree with that actually. I was originally going to grab a Ryzen 3000 but once the release date for Cyberpunk dropped I decided that I would wait until closer to then and do my upgrade to whatever was going to give me what I needed to play that game. Once of my hopes was TR because it would sufficiently compensate for my lack of other manly qualities. Coming from a Sandy Bridge E it would move me from one HEDT to another so felt right.

As you have said, even having a reasonably good income, there is no way I can remotely justify dropping nearly AUD3500 on a motherboard and CPU. Given the platform I am coming from I will also need new RAM and I haven't even bought the tub of KY I need to accept the pain of the 2080Ti Super Mega Best Value Bonus For Jensen GPU that I will also need, let alone the card itself. We are starting to talk about enough money to buy a small car here.

4. chook

chook Member

5. 335 GT

335 GT Member

$400 for the Gigabyte board doesn't seem bad to me. Add in a 24 core monster and it starts looking like a bargain when compared to nvidias videocard pricing.

The $800 boards are just taking the piss and aren't a requirement for entry.

6. chook

chook Member

That was part of why I thought it was a good read. When I made the post prior to that one about TR being the price of a small car the cheapest board I could locate was just over AUD700.

https://www.scorptec.com.au/product/Motherboards/AMD-Socket-TRX40/80225-GA-TRX40-AORUS-PRO-WIFI

After reading the Anandtech article I realise that perhaps my Google-fu is weak. Albeit it is still an expensive platform given that USD400 is almost AUD600 but perhaps not quite as expensive as I had originally thought. I still think it is out of my price range and need but this is OCAU and we don't do things based on need ;).

7. 335 GT

335 GT Member

Lol, think of the powa!

Yeah it was a good read, thanks for the link.

You know you need one.... take one for the team! :D

RnR likes this.
  8. TaroT

TaroT Member

i,m nonplussed about the baords i got my 1950x 2 and a bit years ago and its still cranks along overclocked (although i dragged it back to 3.8 with lower volts as there really was not that much benefit for me) and at some point if a 2950x comes up cheap i,ll grab it and get another 2 years by then i can grab a 7 million core alien artificial intelligent chip :)
    as for the new zen 3 yeah it should have been a bit cheaper but that is not the market it is aimed at that is what the x570 crew is for and as it should be.
    as for intel hehe all i,m saying.
    Also this means this platform should be an easy 3 years and if you make money from it who cares really it either a once of tax thing or a depreciation or write off asset at then end like couriers cars :)
    so anyway where is my review sample...in the post?

9. chook

chook Member

Funny you should mention that because I can depreciate it. AUD2300 for the CPU alone is a big hit though and it takes some time to get it back. In a lot of ways I would be better off getting a 3900X and putting the AUD550 into the GPU. But then I won't have more cores which will make me less of a man :(.

bobsled likes this.
  10. RnR

RnR Member

The Less Cores Manly Support Group... now at your local Manshed!

335 GT, bobsled and chook like this.
  11. budzilla

budzilla Member

Quoted for how wrong you are. :lol:

12. RnR

RnR Member

It still makes me chuckle :)

13. M1ck1

M1ck1 Member

How many enthusiasts bought a 9980XE for about $2k US, 10980 is only cheaper because Intel got wind of new threadrippers performance the intel HEDT platform was similarly priced before the price cuts

14. islade

islade Member

Is there any timeframe for expected availability of the TRX40 Taichi?