Threadripper owners club

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by TaroT, Aug 25, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    TaroT

TaroT Member

I,m not likely to order from the site directly so may offload the discount code :)

2. lazjen

lazjen Member

I've got 4 sticks of 16Gb memory, and it's showing up as quad channel at the default speeds.

I've tried switching on the XMP profile (and it recognizes the ram and looks like it's setting stuff), but it just reboots 2 or 3 times before reverting to the default values again.

I assume I need to adjust some other values in the bios. What should I be looking for?

It's an AsRock Fatal1ty. Memory is GSkill Trident-Z F4-3600C17D-32GTZR (so 2 packs of 2 x 16Gb)

3. lazjen

lazjen Member

I've managed to get the memory going at 3466 so far without setting any specific voltages. 3600 fails.

darkbastard likes this.
  4. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

Thats pretty good for zen architecture when using 4 double sided sticks - Well Done

5. lazjen

lazjen Member

Thanks. I know someone with the same memory and CPU but an AsRock Taichi board that's allegedly got it going at 3600. I've asked for details, but it's the weekend, so no doubt he's busy somewhere. I suspect I should be able to use similar settings.

There's so many values that can be changed, I'm not sure what to play with as yet. I also haven't read enough to work out what are reasonable values for some of the fields.

6. lazjen

lazjen Member

Well, I discovered that the person I thought had it going at 3600, in fact, did not. So, I'll be pioneering. I've got a few things to fix up first before I progress further as I'm doing all my testing using Linux. I've got a special image processing tool I use that has a benchmark test in it. That's run quite sweetly with some excellent results. :)

7. darkbastard

darkbastard Member

I though 3600 for a stable day to day speed was "very good" so that makes a bit more sense to me now :)

8. lazjen

lazjen Member

Changed the timings from 17-19-19-19-39 to 16-18-18-18-38, ram volts to 1.37v, ran memtest and that passed successfully @3466.

9. OP
    OP
    TaroT

TaroT Member

4x16 gig sticks anything stable over 3200 is very good but stable is a bit of a perspective type term to some its 1000 percent hci memtest on some its just superpi 32 etc so be sure to load it up to test it.
    have a hunt around for stilts stuff on overclock.net he has some very nice presets hes testred not sure about 16 gig sticks though

10. lazjen

lazjen Member

Yeah, stable is perspective - I am going for at least "short-term" stable right now. :)

I've gone through a thread relating to the board on overclock.net - haven't found much related to 16Gb sticks yet.

Overall, I think if I get it more longer term stable at 3466 for the memory, that will be fine.

11. OP
    OP
    TaroT

TaroT Member

I did a few tests between 3466 and 3333 and 3200 on my flarex and really the differences were not huge I settled on 3333 because it was lower voltage better timings and just did well.

12. lazjen

lazjen Member

3466 hasn't survived over a 3 hours, so I'm going to drop back to 3333 and try to work on that further. I'd like to get lower voltage and timings as well, as I think (from my limited testing) that it had better impact than the increased mhz. What sort of voltages did you get?

13. OP
    OP
    TaroT

TaroT Member

on the ram? I am running 1.38 I can get away with 1.35 but decided to nudge it a little. cpu is 1.331 llc4 or 3 can't remember :) but full laod drops to 1.306 that is prime stable as well

14. lazjen

lazjen Member

Looks like 3333 for the memory is working for me. Left it at 1.35. I've got it going at 16-18-18-18-38. I set the cpu to 1.225 and level 3 (the other level setting is on 5). Have run various perf tests, will run some more, but it's looking pretty good.

I've also set the CPU to 3.9Ghz with no change to the voltage for it. Haven't worked out how far I can push that yet.

Oh yeah, in another face-palm moment, I realised I wasn't on the latest bios, so I updated to that. The tctl (or whatever it's called) changed upwards, but it was consistent in the bios and as reported on the led (they were out of whack before), and the fan profiles seemed to start working better too. I believe this value reported includes the offset in it. I need to do some longer period testing where I control the ambient fully (i.e. in A/C only and no stupidly high humidity). I think I'm idling a few degrees above ambient (maybe +7C?). Not sure if that's ok or not.

15. lazjen

lazjen Member

Hit 4.0Ghz but haven't cracked further than that. Got the ram at 16-17-17-17-36 (still at 3333Mhz). No other changes. I think I'll stop there for now. Temps are ok-ish - when the ambient was quite warm (high 20s, maybe low 30s and high humidity), under full load, I hit mid 90s temps (that includes the offset). The system seemed ok with that and wasn't throttling the CPU. Now that it's cooler and less humid, the highest temps are dropping right off.

Now I've got to find time to get my data sorted and do some heavy processing on it - should be great, I think. :)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  16. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

Just picked up a 1950X and Asrock X399 Taichi combo! I have yet to build the system - picking up a Fractal R6, the SSDs, and the extra 4-pin ATX cable I'll need for the motherboard this afternoon. The packaging just for this CPU is astonishingly over the top... one of the perks of buying a bonkers-tier CPU I guess :D :D Love it.

I'll be using my Ripjaws 32GB 3200MHz 16-18-18-38-2N kit with this board, along with a pair of Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2 SSDs for storage. GPU is a GTX1060 6gb, a little under spec for a system of this caliber but I have upgraded from a Ryzen 7 1700 solely for an improvement in Adobe Premier, not gaming. PSU is my Antec Quattro 1kW that I've had kicking around since forever.

17. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

That sounds pretty kickass!

Welcome to the club :D

18. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

Is anyone experiencing issues with memory OC on TR? I am currently trying to get the RAM to run at 3200 CL 14-14-14-31 (DOCP speed) but for some reason even pumping SOC voltage to 1.15+ the memory still cannot stabilise otherwise this platform is great apart from needing quite a lot of thermal paste to cover the entire IHS :p

19. Sgt Bilko

Sgt Bilko Member

I'm running 4 x 8GB at 3200 14-14-14-34-48 1T on mine?

SOC at 1.1v and DRAM to 1.39v

20. DarkSnipa

DarkSnipa Member

I tried SOC at 1.1V and DRAM to 1.38V before but no luck :( Just not sure if I done something wrong, tried GDM enabled,change 1t to 2t but the ram still wont stabilise at 3200MHz but at 3066MHz everything is good. I noticed X399 AGESA code is a bit old compare to the mainstream ryzen otherwise I was thinking to change ProcODT but there is no such option on my X399 Taichi.