Threadripper owners club

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by TaroT, Aug 25, 2017.

1. OP
    OP
    TaroT

TaroT Member

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/43405/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx-processor

$2679 there you have it and $1189 for the 1950x now
    little bit more than I thought but hey US dollar etcetc

what I find funny is it is only 20 bucks cheaper the intel 7980xe here just goes to show we live in sucktown :)
    my guess is since that comes up as the lowest price intel are shaving some dollars off

plenty of unpacking videos etc I really want to see one in a taichi and see how the vrms go underload or overclocked...

I just noticed the taichi on pccasegear went back up to $459....bastards :)

2. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

sneaky shits... maybe now mine will sell hah

will take $250 if anyone is wondering

3. HobartTas

HobartTas Member

I have a couple of questions

(1) Does anyone actually need this 2990WX CPU with 32C/64T? It just seems to me to be way overboard with the core count for any practical purpose outside a server environment.

(2) Also if someone actually buys it then what sort of longevity do they expect in years for this CPU to be good for? and secondly what sort of "insurance" are they taking out for that like buying spare motherboards so that it lasts out that distance and for those who don't know what I mean by this you only have to look at the cheap prices the Xeon e5-2670's were sold at for around $100 because new X79 motherboards were scarce and used ones although were more plentiful but with perhaps limited lifetimes left on them. If Intel hadn't transitioned from X79 DDR3 to X99 DDR4 and boards were still freely available would I have expected those 2670's to be sold on the market for perhaps something like $300-$500?

(3) Does it support ECC memory and can the boards run it and by that I mean actually use the ECC function and not just "accept" ECC RAM?

4. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

1) e-peen / compilation / rendering / video editing - anything where a process can be split up into worker threads easily

2) solid state caps make boards pretty reliable these days don't they? In terms of the CPU I've never heard of one failing due to age

3) This link for the X399 Taichi says yes:

5. OP
    OP
    TaroT

TaroT Member

I agree with all of that and yes all threadrippers do ecc ram as for motherboards I can see them being around for a very long time I mean I have had this 1950x for a year overclocked to 405 since pretty much day one and never had an issue with the board or the chip and I can't see that changing, these chips are sourced from the best silicone next to the server ones so I am not worried :)
    as for the whole 64 threads thing if you can afford it and you use it why not, I am backing up all my dvds etc and the extra grunt really helps and video encoding in handbrake and sony vega works very nicely that and the fact I can do that and still play the odd D3 at the same time is worth it to me :)

make sure its on the latest bios before selling :) a 250 dollar board and a new 2950x would make a nice setup for pretty cheap

6. lowdog

lowdog Member

Mmmm 2950X and MEG!

7. OP
    OP
    TaroT

TaroT Member

soooooo much money though :)

8. PureFire

PureFire Member

What is the estimate retail for the MSI MEG?

9. lowdog

lowdog Member

Rumours on net say listed for $500 US...….tis MEGA after all :lol:

Beetroot likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    TaroT

TaroT Member

so left nut and left kidney sounds about right :p

11. unityofsaints

unityofsaints Member

Does anyone here have experience setting up RAID-0 NVMe boot raid arrays? Both my Zenith and X399M Taichi just hard lock up on the splash screen when trying to enable it, I don't even get as far as creating an array and dealing with Windows 10 setup driver fun. Drives do get detected and I built an array with them on my Crosshair VI Hero no problem. I was thinking there may be lane starvation going on so I went down from 4 drives to 2 so was only using Dimm.2 on the Zenith and native M.2 slots on the Taichi - still the same issue :(

12. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

X399 Taichi: code C0 on the little screen? I had to do this:

• apply BIOS default (esp. if you have changed any ram / xmp settings)
    • leave CSM enabled but turn on UEFI boot support
    • enabled NVMe RAID
    • reboot
    • SATA mode > raid
    • make sure there are no other drives connected at all if you intend to install windows to the RAID array until after the installation

13. unityofsaints

unityofsaints Member

Not exactly the bootcode I was seeing and I have the X399M so slightly different board but I'll give it a shot and let you know.

14. lowdog

lowdog Member

Yeah, I also recall something about having to have UEFI something or other enabled. :thumbup:

15. unityofsaints

unityofsaints Member

The boot code I get stuck on is A2 on the Taichi :( New AGESA BIOS out, giving that a shot now. Did you guys leave secure boot off or enable it? It's a separate option to CSM.

Edit: new AGESA out for both the Zenith and the Taichi now and I can create NVMe RAID arrays no problem. Performance is off tho compared to Intel, has anyone done any optimisation like testing for the fastest stripe size in RAID-0?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2018 at 11:20 PM
  16. OP
    OP
    TaroT

TaroT Member

nope one thing I have not bothered with is nvme raid for now too much dosh :) plus never really liked raid for what I do ...has no serious benefit but that's me :)

single drive though for me is fine, also matters which slot you put the drives in, can't remember which ones but it is important

17. ShadowBurger

ShadowBurger Member

I did some testing just with crystal disk mark... none of the RAID configs were as fast in the random reads / writes as a single disk. tried different drivers from samsung for the drives too, which made sequential faster in both RAID and non RAID but no difference to the small io

18. PureFire

PureFire Member

Any RAID array will add latency to read/write access times which is kind of the opposite of what you want with NVME drives. Personally I would leave them as single drives and purchase a 2TB or 4TB standard SSD if you need a large amount of fast storage.

19. lowdog

lowdog Member

Where is MEG !!!! :weirdo:

yes yes I know will be MEG schmackers as well but so what , tis MEG!

20. @sia@home

@sia@home Member

And if slower access time and half the transfer rate is acceptable for your bulk storage then take a look into seagate ironwolf pro. 250mb/s is pretty reasonable in my opinion.