1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Threadripper Pro 5-series (5995WX) non-OEM availability?

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by choppa, Jun 2, 2022.

1. choppa

choppa Member

Hi all,

I'm trying to advise a friend who is into professional content creation to hold off on upgrading his main system (around 3-4 years old) - this is how he earns his income - to a 3-series Threadripper.

From my understanding the 5-series has been released to OEMs and will at some point be coming to non-OEMs (like OCAU's sponsors perhaps?) - so does anyone know when he'll likely be able to buy it or it whether it will put downwards pressure on the 3-series? He's at the moment got a 3995WX specified in a very expensive machine (again, 4K video editing etc for indie films and advertising) but I told him it might be worth waiting just a little bit. He asked me how long does he have to wait - so I'm asking OCAU - does anyone know?

End of financial year might force him to buy now I guess, but it would be nice being able to have some real information - the internet seems vague with "August" being branded around, but maybe someone who actually works with stores has more info?

2. Luke212

Luke212 Member

dunno. dont think its much of an upgrade either way. tell him to buy a new 3090ti (or second) gpu wouldnt that help more?

cant believe 3995WX is 3-4 years old. time flies.

or just buy an OEM system since fast warranty is nice?? have him consider if it dies how will his work be affected while he builds another one?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2022
  3. Phido

Phido Member

AMD did say it was comm
    AMD did say it was coming but was vague when.

https://wccftech.com/amd-threadripper-pro-cpu-supply-severely-low-due-to-lenovo-contract-pc-makers/

A spokesperson from AMD has assured us that "[t]he Threadripper Pro 5000 will be available from additional partners in CY3Q22." The same spokesperson had no comment on the current issues with the supply chains.

The market is pretty desperate for these. There are some applications (servers, military etc) that Lenovo is just not appropriate. There is hundreds of thousands to millions in deals just waiting on the release.

Part of the problem is competition. What beats a maxed out 3995WX system. Not much.
    With 4000 series GPU's imminent, it might make sense to jump and do both. 5995WX Pro and two 4090's.

The other thing is you can possibly setup a mini renderfarm or encoding farm or some 5950x's in racks that he can remotely log into.

4. Borg3:16

Borg3:16 Member

Some updated news:
    https://community.amd.com/t5/busine...kstation-processor/ba-p/530661?sf257479242=1#

Interestingly quote:
    Guess it's the official death of sTRX platform

5. Phido

Phido Member

6. OP
    OP
    choppa

choppa Member

He ended up pulling the trigger on a 3995WX system with an ASUS motherboard and ordering 512GB of memory in the end. Told him to wait, but he had to do it before EOFY. I guess if he upgrades in the future this will be a potential pathway.

Never thought I'd see the day someone spent that much on a CPU.

Ck21 likes this.
  7. Kelvin

Kelvin Member

the best thing to do around EOFY.

is to order ..
    Fully pay for the machine..For the receipt.
    Cancel for credit..
    Put the credit towards the machine you want after the financial year..

Obviously you need a retailer.. you get along well with..

often i had to do this.. when the machine i want is out of stock..

i particular Apple stuff is particularly low stock around the eofy..

AMD180 likes this.
  8. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

9. jonsey

jonsey Member

Are there dual Threadripper cpu boards yet... You know for when 64 cores just isn't enough, and your to tight to pay for EPYC chips ?

The Threadripper Pro CPU's are very similar to the EPYC yet the EPYC charge such a significant premium. Not sure why I'm slightly annoyed at this as I don't have a need for it....

Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
  10. OP
    OP
    choppa

choppa Member

11. rg144

rg144 Member

HUB have just reveiwed the 5995WX, can't say I'm impressed for the price, not at all, shame.