Thunderbird cop out

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Gipsyking, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Gipsyking

Gipsyking Member

About 5 days ago Mozilla Thunderbird decided to reject my password so I have no emails coming in or going out. I know my password, it has been printed out with the bunch of other passwords but I can't login. They ask me to create another account but when I try it says this email address has already been taken. Of course-by me and I don't want another email address as I have been using mine for about 15 years.

Any advice?

2. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Member

Are you using imap or pop?
    If your using imap, you could delete your user profile and try again.

3. miicah

miicah Member

Thunderbird is just a client, what email provider are you with?

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

This.

Providers like Google (GMail) are now blocking out of date clients that don't meet their minimum security requirements.

Give us some more information. What's your mail provider, what protocol are you using (POP, IMAP, something else), are you on the latest version of Thunrderbird, and are you accessing all services via the correct SSL/TLS settings that your mail provider has mandated?

5. broccoli

broccoli Member

What is the specific message it gives you?
    Who is "they"?

6. OP
    OP
    Gipsyking

Gipsyking Member

Thunderbird is an email client. It talks to one or more email servers and gets your messages from them.

Say I have, for whatever reasons, email accounts with yahoo, gmail, hotmail and my ISP. If I use webmail, that's four different websites I have to visit. Each with its own particular layout and tools. Four different sets of rules and procedures you have to learn. And they keep changing, Gmail has periodic and irritating makeovers and IMHO an abysmal UI. Hotmail/Windows Live Mail/Live Mail/Outlook.com all essentially refer to the same underlying service but eternally being revamped to look new. Yahoo have a poor reputation for doing silly idiosyncratic things that break regular email systems.

You can instead set up each of these accounts in an email client such as Thunderbird. All your accounts in one place, with a consistent set of tools and procedures that work for all four accounts. One set of rules and procedures for you to learn. You could add another 10 email accounts and it's fundamentally just more of the same. Nothing new to learn.

Oh, and no adverts. And you can copy and paste from a message in one account to a message being written for a different account. Drag and drop messages between accounts. Manage and file your email correspondence.

So my problem is something happened to my computer, instead formatting a USB stick the bloody thing formatted the drive where I kept all my information's and particulars and Thunderbird rejecting the password I have for it. When I ask a question in the support forum or get help forum in Thunderbird the best I can get is to go from one place to another.
    Outgoing server (SMTP0
    POP Mail Server Telstra Bigpond
    I can't reset the password as the instruction is sent to my email, the one I can't login to open it.By the way my account was created long before 2010.
    So what you do?

[​IMG]

7. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Cant you login directly to one of these “yahoo, gmail, hotmail and my ISP“ to get read your reset password?

8. miicah

miicah Member

Yes we know how email clients work.

What ACCOUNT are you talking about? Where did you get the screenshot from? Are you talking about a password protected Thunderbird install?

9. OP
    OP
    Gipsyking

Gipsyking Member

It is a Telstra account, I just spent an hour and half chatting with them.
    Every time they gave me a temporary password it didn't work. Finally I got disconnected (thank god) so I will have another go tomorrow.

I can't believe how something so simple Telstra can't fix in about five minutes.

Also can't believe if the email address ends with",,,,bigpond.com I wasn't be able to figure out who was my email provider.

Getting to old I suppose, the brain not what it used to be.:upset:

10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

And how are you connecting? POP? IMAP? Are you using the right ports (ensure SSL/TLS and matching ports as per Telstra's setup)?

11. broccoli

broccoli Member

But what are they giving you a password to? A brower-based email? How EXACTLY are you trying to access your email? When you say you reformatted the wrong drive, have you nuked all your account settings in Thunderbird and have a fresh installation, or what?

You need to describe specifically what you are doing, and what is happening.

12. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

test your account go to their site and log in to your webmail through your browser.

13. damn duck

damn duck Member

Gipsyking - I know you've been using Thunderbird for years and you're familiar with its layout. However it is old and unsupported and likely to have further issues like this in the future. It would be in your best interest to change to a supported email client.

It's not what you want to hear, but it has to be done.

14. mareke

mareke Member

Good advice. If Gypsy King's ISP is Telstra then he should have an inbox at Telstra to receive emails (see the link below for the settings). I'm with TPG and I get my emails from my TPG Post Office Account using Windows Live Mail. If Windows Live Mail stopped working I could still log into my TPG Post Office account and view my emails from there so I'm not dependent on an email application to access my emails. If I changed ISPs I'd inform places like my bank, NRMA, Overclockers etc. of my new email address and forget about continuing to receive emails from unimportant places.

https://www.telstra.com.au/support/category/broadband/manage/bigpond-standard-settings

15. mmBax

mmBax Member

This issue seems to be similar to what my pop is having.

Unfortunately I’m playing catch up as he’s already spoken to Telstra a few times and there’s no evidence or emails that I can try and use to make sense of anything.

To be clear, he’s on Telstra nbn, I set up Thunderbird for him as an email client about 4 years ago now and it’s been working fine since. I can’t remember why we went with thunderbird but I believe his office suite didn’t work with a 64 bit system and thunderbird was the first one that came to mind that did.

From memory it’s SMTP and STARTTLS with no password on thunderbird.

The conversation with my pop went something along the lines of it saying his password is wrong.
    I told him he doesn’t have a password.
    He tells me that he spoke to Telstra and that he needs to change his password.
    I logged onto the Telstra page and changed his password from his incredibly weak password to a newer password that meets Telstra’s requests.
    I made no changes in T’Bird, test emails were coming through.

I haven’t heard anything from him for a little while now but I assume the problem is gone.

Could this be a similar issue to what you’re having?

*Side note, what’s a good email client that is easy to use. My pop is 90 and each change is costly.

16. pezzy

pezzy Member

any recommendations? preferably ones that don't require an app password for token logins (if that even exists).

17. broccoli

broccoli Member

It won't make the slightest bit of difference to his ISP playing funny buggers with his password.

18. mareke

mareke Member

His ISP isn't the problem. The email application Thunderbird that he uses for receiving emails is. I have a password and username to log in to my TPG Post Office account which contains my emails and the password is necessary to protect it from unauthorised access. If Gypsy King used his Telstra inbox to store his emails I can't see Telstra stuffing it up so he couldn't access it because Telstra would be obliged to fix the problem. If however his emails are stored on another server used by Thunderbird then Telstra has no control over that and he is at the mercy of his Thunderbird email application to work properly. That's why I prefer to use the email account that all ISPs offer when you join them to store my emails. This allows you to check your emails by using an email program (in my case Windows Live Mail) that downloads the emails to your computer or to log in to the Post Office account set up by the ISP to view the emails at the ISP's website.

I probably should use Outlook as my email program because I have Microsoft Office installed on my computer but I prefer a lightweight program like Windows Live Mail. I'm not sure that Live Mail works with Windows 10 so I'll probably need to switch to Outlook if I upgrade to Windows 10. If Gypsy King wanted to use Outlook he'd have to buy Microsoft Office from a place like Officeworks and it would need to be the version including Outlook which costs $297. The cheaper Home and student version that costs $149 doesn't include Outlook.

Gypsy King's safest bet is to set up his email account at his ISP and use an email program that downloads the emails using the username and password for the email account at his ISP. Others may be able to suggest such an email program. This would give him the option of viewing his emails at his ISP if his email program failed the way that Thunderbird did.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017
  19. broccoli

broccoli Member

I suggest Thunderbird.

20. mareke

mareke Member

Thunderbird (which I mistakenly called Thunderbolt and have now corrected) looks to be past its use by date. If Thunderbird stores Gypsy King's emails at a server that is not owned by his ISP (Telstra) then his emails are lost unless Thunderbird can be repaired and that's not Telstra's responsibility. I doubt that whoever made Firefox would be interested in fixing Gypsy King's problem with Thunderbird. He could try installing the latest version of Thunderbird. Thunderbird still appears to be being supported according to Wikipedia and there looks to be a forum where people can report problems.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2017