1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Thunderbolt 3 to USB A

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by Nightwish, Aug 1, 2020 at 4:17 PM.

1. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

Hi guys, sorry if this has been asked a million times or is a stupid question but I recently got myself my first ever macbook but as you'd know they all have the thunderbolt ports but my stuff has usb-a ports.

I know Apple sell a connector for $29 or so but what I can't find the answer to is do I actually need to buy the Apple one or will something like this work?

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/usb-c-to-micro-usb--usb-3.0-adaptor/2185349

Thanks guys :)

2. Renza

Renza Member

that one should work fine, but i doub't it would do usb 3. the ports are usb-c, not just thunderbolt 3, so anything usb-c usually works fine.

Nightwish likes this.
  3. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

It actually claims to be USB3 so hopefully it would work at 5 Gbit speeds at least.

For the OP you could also get one of those yumcha USB-C "docks" that typically give you a few USB-A, HDMI, maybe a SD card reader and ethernet.