Thunderbolt Display from a Dell laptop / dock?

Discussion in 'Apple Desktop Hardware/Software' started by Alfonzo, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

Hey,

I'm not sure if this is achievable but I'd love to know if anyone else has tried this. Basically I have a 27" Thunderbolt Display at home, and in the coming year I intend to work from home a lot more - my work computer is a Dell Latitude e7470 with Win10, which has a Mini DP on the back of the laptop itself. Plugging the display directly into this does nothing. I also have an e-Dock port replicator that has two DVI and large Display Port outlets on it. I've managed to track down a DP male to Mini DP female adapter, however plugging this in also does nothing.

I'm at a bit of a loss - I really really like this screen, and don't want to have to replace it just to work from home. I don't care about using the dock or speakers in the screen, I just want to use it for the monitor capability.

Is there a way to accomplish this? the laptop also has a HDMI out, though I've been unable to find a male HDMI to female MiniDP adapter to test with at this point.

2. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

You would need a new laptop that has Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C.)

3. OP
    OP
    Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

Mmm, OK. Won't work for this current application but the next models of Latitudes we're rolling out do have USB-C.

4. OP
    OP
    Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

Update: No, the usb-c equipped laptops do not work via the Apple dongle either. Windows just bitches about an incorrectly configured USB device. Looks like there's zero compatibility unless your PC specifically has a thunderbolt port, not just usb-c.

5. ~Coxy

~Coxy Member

Does the laptop you tried have Thunderbolt 3, or just USB-C?

6. OP
    OP
    Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

I believe it's just USB-C, though I was hoping that it would have some form of one-way compatibility to Thunderbolt 3 and then 2 to at least just show a display output. I really don't care that much about using the monitor for any of the other features it has like the USB hub, or ethernet, camera/speakers, etc.

7. bryn

bryn Member

yeah, it has to be thunderbolt (2 or 3 with adapter to 2) not just displayport or USB-C.

8. psylink

psylink Member

You could sell your display and purchase a 27" iMac (2009 to 2011) and probably end up with change leftover. That series of iMacs had Target Display Mode that allowed you to use them as a monitor via Mini DP without the thunderbolt requirements (which they added in 2012 iMacs onwards). You can use the iMac speakers but obviously lose the MagSafe charger.

I switched from Apple monitors to iMacs because they were for some reason cheaper than the standalone monitors while giving me a spare computer in the background (the one I use as a monitor is a "server" for media to my house).

9. OP
    OP
    Alfonzo

Alfonzo Member

Sorry I didn't see these posts!

I've actually just sold the TB display off earlier today, I've given up on trying to make it work this way and am going the other direction - I'll be using a Dell D6000 to connect to two 27" 2K monitors, so maybe the hybrid nature of the USB-C and 3.0 connector for the D6000 will work from the MacBook - but honestly I'm not really stressing about that now.

Edit: Works perfectly. There's a Display Link driver to download from the internet, ran that and plugged the dock in to my MacBook with the USB 3.0 converter on the end of the USB-C cable... keyboard, mouse, two external monitors... sorted. Very happy now.

Last edited: May 1, 2018