Thunderstorm killed my computers internet?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Coopz, Dec 19, 2018.

1. Coopz

Coopz Member

This morning there was a pretty intense thunderstorm over my house, my wife was home and said one particular thunder clap shook the house. My faithful old pc was plugged in but turned off. I have gone to use it this evening and found it cannot connect to the router. Inspecting the network cord in the back of the pc shows no network activity light and Win 7 keeps saying a cord is unplugged. Plugging the cord into my laptop and it works fine. The wifi also works.
    I can only assume the sound or vibration has damaged it? Its a old pc (Asus P5QPro mb) and its been to many lans and bumpy car rides over the years but I've never had this problem before.

The usb plugs all seem ok so I might buy a usb wireless dongle for the short term.

Just wondering has anyone else had this happen?

2. guy.incogneto

guy.incogneto Member

Onboard network fried maybe? Try a PCI network card?

3. TRG.dOinK

TRG.dOinK Member

I've had a fried on-board network card before, but it was a long time ago back on Telstra cable days, least 10 years ago I think.
    What I would recommend is taking out the CMOS battery for 2 minutes to see if it helps, otherwise it sounds utterly dead.

On a side note, I had a stupid problem this year where my lan was only running at 100 Mbps instead of 1000 Mbps.

Formatted PC, didn't fix.
    Reset BiOS, didn't fix.
    Different modem, didn't fix.
    Took the CMOS battery out, problem solved, now 1000 Mbps

Boy that annoyed me, wasted a day or two.

4. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

I can absolutely confirm this is a thing. :) Probably 10 years ago we had lightning hit near our house and everything connected the long Cat5 cables in the roof was fried. So, the ethernet port on our Xbox, every connected port on a small switch, the onboard ethernet on my PC mobo, etc.. they all stopped working. The equipment itself worked fine, but the ethernet ports were all fried.

I assume the lightning induced a huge current in the wires which fried the ports. PCI/PCIe/USB ethernet adapters are cheap. :)

Bold Eagle likes this.
  5. flu!d

flu!d Ubuntu Mate 16.04 LTS

I believe earthing the switch may illeviate this problem somewhat. Something I should probably do myself as I have cat5e running all through the roof.

6. shane41

shane41 Member

Act of god. Unplug your shit in storms ... it's always the nic / networks taken out easily

DSTM (Dougie) likes this.
  7. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

I don't always unplug in storms, and have paid dearly a couple of times over the years.

8. shane41

shane41 Member

True story.

Bought a Belkin Surge power board $140 long time ago. Bragged how good it was to parents, they plugged in a $110 cordless phone.
    Didn't have to wait long. 5 days? BAM Direct hit to major phone cables next suburb. Cordless phone gooooooooooooone

RMA? Haha f'n hilarious. Return the power board, it had done it's job protecting the insured component :lol::confused: WTFark. Give up, kept power board with blown component

Yeah I used Powerware 5110 UPS's here for a long time ... so much shit killed previous unstable power delivery.
    Now I'm almost an off gridder solar. Has to hit the roof... but I"m not temping you GOD for proof you can do it :Paranoid:

9. philquad

philquad Member

yes blimey, always being the network connection gets toasted
    pays to have a $10 usb wireless dongle around & use that instead of lan in a storm

10. havabeer

havabeer Member

I lost a sound port on my mother board from lightning once.

Had to buy a USB sound card to get sound back.

Lightning is a bastard

11. koopz

koopz Member

Coopz...

I told this story here years ago, though will again for your and readers benefit.

One day, while I was at work in the field there was a destructive electrical storm around the Mt Gravatt area in Brisbane.

I came home to find my file server and personal gaming PC semi damaged ( this hurt the most - seeing it die slowly over days ), while the PCs I had built the kids and my wife were perfectly fine.

*sniff*

My wife's and my children's PC were plugged into Thor Surge protector boards.

To this day, my wife does not remember the loss.

The lesson here is - always have power protection.

...and now that it's harder to be an IT Dad, my kids all have wireless units

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018