"Tight & Lazy"... The Ghetto Mod Thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BlueRaven, Aug 11, 2011.

1. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Bahahahah niiiiiice.

2. aphasia

aphasia Member

nice gradient, got a giggle out of GB 4 & 5. goonbag tho? it's not common in the vernacular used in the circle of my peers. perhaps an explanation is required. really tho, why mince words, if you're going for something with the 'bag' suffix, why not 'shit bag' (or SB points)?

yeah don't know about this entrant. it's not so much dodgy as lazy. a bum would have at least housed all those HD's in something rather than sitting on a desk like that. if i was feeling generous i'd award 1/2 a goonbag or shitbag point for the 80mm fans resting on the keyboard & HD's tho i'd have to be pretty drunk/high to give that.

3. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Hmmm, I thought the term "goonbag" was in pretty common usage. Oh well, my second choice would be one of aphasia's suggestions.... Povo Points.

I feel the need to point out that this thread is in no way meant to poke fun at those less fortunate than myself (I've had to walk into Centrelink with my hand out several times throughout my life). Rather, I wish to celebrate the ingenuity that is the hallmark of a good ghetto/povo mod, in solving a problem quickly with whatever materials fall easily to hand. :)

On with the mods...this one is from the 'Unexpected Win' department.

I knew the X58 chipset was a hot little bastidge, but I didn't realise just how hot it could get with the CPU at 4GHz and folding 24/7 along with the graphics card.

[​IMG]
    Click to view full-sized image!
    Hosted by UGBox Image Store

:shock:

I had this little 40mm fan lying around. It is a gutless pissant little thing, probably pulled from a switch or router; you can't even hear it at full speed so it's turning slowly and probably moving only 5 or 6 cfm. I ghetto'd it onto the northbridge heatsink, expecting a drop in temps of maybe 4 or 5 degrees (sorry for the slightly blurry phone pics, couldn't find my camera).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the new full-load temps.

[​IMG]

Yeah, pretty happy with that for about two minutes work. :D

Povo Points: Probably only deserves 1, but I'm calling for an extra point due to it being the quickest and most effective ghetto mod I've ever done. :lol:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2011
  4. Bastard Child

Bastard Child RIP

Needs a goon bag reservoir :thumbup:

5. aphasia

aphasia Member

nice work.

worth at least a point.

crusty/dusty old fan - check
    affixed haphazardly - check
    been happier if you'd used blu-tak, rubber band or a rusty piece of fuse wire. no pleasing some people i know;)

only nit picking, is it possible to have the pics viewed at a better size so you don't have to open the pic in a new tab?
    i know with imageshack, they display the full size pic. when i submit photos into forum threads, i resize 'em before uploading. i just use the crappy build-in image editor in win7 from the right click context menu.

6. yon2004

yon2004 Member

I have been pissed off with water cooling and when i upgrade my computer why should i have to change water blocks it is stupid they do the same thing. so i made this thing out of a front door of a hot water heater that exploded and some electrical grommets cut in half and some assorted bolts i found. :leet:

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

7. tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

:thumbup: thats what I'm talking about! screw those 'only compat with this' crap! :lol: :thumbup:

bet ya some punk will comment & say it isnt good enough to cool 'modern' CPUs :rolleyes: :thumbdn: water is water is water! :cool:

8. tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

so I have no job atm... = no $$$

& I was sick of not having a black interior to my case.... I had some 3mm MDF & 2 cans of black spray paint lying around... :D

before:

[​IMG]

after:

PC off -
    [​IMG]

PC on -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm happy with the result :)

9. Spyfox

Spyfox Member

please tell me that void below is reserved for rad space :Pirate:

10. tiro_uspsss

tiro_uspsss Member

I bought the case of a fellow OCAU'er - he had cut that out for his rad..... but yes, I will be using it sometime in the next few months when I get my feet wet for the first time :D :thumbup:

11. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Nice job mate, I'll give it a povo point. ;)

You loose the point once the lights get switched off though... it looks too awesome!

Definitely worth a couple of points for being made with whatever was lying around. Nice solution, wouldn't want to overtighten it though... :Paranoid:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  12. WishBone17

WishBone17 Member

this doesnt belong in this thread, its not ghetto, its like where I live Blacktown, and your build is like Double Bay.

Here my addition to the ghettoness.
    My ghetto cathode light switch mounting. If you look closely, you can see the ghetto tiny strips of double sided tape just to hold it in place. LOL
    [​IMG]

13. scrad

scrad Member

my first decent computer (PIV 2.8ghz)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My first attempt at serious overclocking with extreme cooling (i scrounged a case). I think i managed to get this thing down to -4 degrees or something.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My high precision Network Device (10mbps Hub)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My amp that had a busted channel that i used to drive a 12" car sub a mate gave me. It used to get a bit hot, given that it was only designed to drive a 8ohm load, but it was given a 4ohm. I added a fan. (yes it was 240v, i know it wasn't smart but i was young and stupid, i have gotten older since then. I wouldn't do it as dodgy today.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

*speechless for a moment

Holy shit!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I believe we have our very first "5 Povo Point" entry. The best bits:

- Tangle of cables, random fans and bits'n'pieces, in practically every photo
    - Is that an old box-type air conditioner??
    - Team America ticket :D
    - Super Daffy "Duck Dodgers" insulation material (thanks Crashish)
    - The spectacularly dodgy 240V fan mod, wired in with light-duty figure 8.

Bloody hell, it's a wonder you're still around to post this. Bravo. (Disclaimer: Nobody should take this post as an incentive to start messing around with 240V like scrad did!)

I wonder if anyone will be able to top that?

@ WishBone17, you sorta got one-upped by scrad's epic post, but nice job nonetheless. did you have to cut/file the switch body to get it into the slot, or did you just jam it in there?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  15. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

*golf clap* :thumbup:

16. Crashish

Crashish New Member

lol..... i think its 5 povo points for just using that DUCK DODGERS stuff.... :lol:

17. Humpty

Humpty Member

I second this motion. *claps*

18. scrad

scrad Member

*takes a bow*

The aircon is an old box type aircon, my dad had it lying around and i figured he didnt need it. I added the insulation after the sides of the case began to drip with water.

the best part was when i moved the aircon and realised it was full of condensation, so i trailed water through the house.

The fan mod did electrocute me once , so i proceeded to cover everything that was live with 240v with hot glue. I still have that amp somewhere, i will take a photo of how i ended up running it for 4-5 years after that. (protip. 240v fucking hurts. do not do what i did)

There is some other dodgy crap i have done, but i wont go into details unless i can find photographic evidence, as to keep with the nature of the thread. Thats probably the best (worst) though..

19. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Lol, gets better and better...

DAD: Where's my aircon unit? And what's all this bloody water everywhere?
    SCRAD: *innocent face, strolls out of the room, whistling as he goes*

You obviously discovered why those units have a drain underneath... ;)

I've been bitten by 240 before too, only a love tap but it still felt like being kicked in the chest by a bloody big horse. It woke me up quick smart, I am always extremely careful working around mains now. It's funny how one little careless move can almost spell disaster, just the other day I was watching my colleague working on an amp (he is a trained service tech who has been doing it for ten years), and he forgot to unplug the mains before poking around inside with a screwdriver. I started to say "hey, that's still live...", but too late. Zap, bang, smoke, lucky it was an insulated screwdriver. He had to have a bit of a sit-down after that... :wired:

20. scrad

scrad Member

i ran that aircon like that for about 2 months i think, it was running 24/7. i got the 2.8 up to about 3.5 IIRC. I clearly wasn't paying the power bill. good times.