"Tight & Lazy"... The Ghetto Mod Thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BlueRaven, Aug 11, 2011.

1. bennyg

bennyg Member

100% ghetto home made watercooled SLI laptop. This is the kind of thing I think of to keep myself from being bored. Ghetto because I wanted minimal outlay while building one as a project to play around with the cooling on it. If I screw it up and stuff dies no great loss.

(Of course naturally when I first fire it up the Extreme Edition CPU 3940XM is all of a sudden dead - I'm not inclined to pay ~$250 to replace so testing for now is on a 3.8ghz quad eating 55W instead of a 4.5ghz eating 90W)

190302-IMG_20190302_215603 (Medium).jpg

Ingredients:
    1/4 inch OD copper tube from hvac supplier
    DIY waterblocks, rads and heatplates harvested from the stock heatsinks
    Bunnings 6mm pvc soft tubing (more heat resistant silicone tubing is in the mail)

There has to be zipties to qualify as ghetto - there's one black ziptie on there in the upper right - when complete all joins will be double zip tied as hose clamps because there just isn't the clearance for anything bigger in a lot of spaces

Tiny $10 pump and 55c boost converter pcb arrived today so I can start wiring an internal pump run off 5V (SATA or failing that, USB) inside the empty optical drive bay (lower left)
    Along with a couple of screw top saliva specimen tubes that I will be making into an air trap/reservoir/fill&bleed port.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  2. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Awesome work :thumbup:

3. datfreak

datfreak Member

Probably not getto enough to be in this group, but I did use a angle grinder, zip ties and fan wires twisted together to make my kids dell 9020 sff pc quieter.
    2 x 60mm and a 120mm slapped on/over a 1050ti. Testing now and seems better, a fan shroud (cardboard?) would probably improve it more. IMG_20190318_165845 (small).jpg IMG_20190318_191701 (small).jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  4. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

and no marking up for the cut by the look of it, you'll fit right in, good sir.

5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I've been having a minor issue with my as yet unfinished 'Ultimate AIO Case?' build.

Whilst watching movies, I've been experiencing some regular hard locks. It only occurs when I am watching video.
    When I touch the HDD's, which were simply taped together for now, they were quite warm, perhaps too warm.

So this happened.. the freezes have stopped :thumbup: It will do until I sort a proper home for the HDD's..
    The little 80mm Noctua, with an old plastic Jaycar grille over the blades to prevent accidents, is doing its job well :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Hard locks caused by HDD heating up.. that's unusual.

7. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Yeah I thought so. I was clutching at straws, but it seems to have cured the problem. I can understand a freeze in the video, but a hard lock seems weird given they aren't OS drives.

macktheknife likes this.
  8. Axe

Axe Member

macktheknife, Groff and MUTMAN like this.
  9. Groff

Groff Member

When you can't quite get your psu and data connectors to fit on a poorly designed drive sled...

Fibre washers to the rescue.

Z washers ssd.jpg

And makeshift dustfilter - flyscreen and duct tape...

I now use superglue for a nicer finish

Z makeshift dust filter.jpg

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    macktheknife likes this.