"Tight & Lazy"... The Ghetto Mod Thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BlueRaven, Aug 11, 2011.

1. datfreak

datfreak Member

Probably not getto enough to be in this group, but I did use a angle grinder, zip ties and fan wires twisted together to make my kids dell 9020 sff pc quieter.
    2 x 60mm and a 120mm slapped on/over a 1050ti. Testing now and seems better, a fan shroud (cardboard?) would probably improve it more. IMG_20190318_165845 (small).jpg IMG_20190318_191701 (small).jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 18, 2019
  2. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

and no marking up for the cut by the look of it, you'll fit right in, good sir.

3. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I've been having a minor issue with my as yet unfinished 'Ultimate AIO Case?' build.

Whilst watching movies, I've been experiencing some regular hard locks. It only occurs when I am watching video.
    When I touch the HDD's, which were simply taped together for now, they were quite warm, perhaps too warm.

So this happened.. the freezes have stopped :thumbup: It will do until I sort a proper home for the HDD's..
    The little 80mm Noctua, with an old plastic Jaycar grille over the blades to prevent accidents, is doing its job well :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. macktheknife

macktheknife Member

Hard locks caused by HDD heating up.. that's unusual.

5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Yeah I thought so. I was clutching at straws, but it seems to have cured the problem. I can understand a freeze in the video, but a hard lock seems weird given they aren't OS drives.

macktheknife likes this.
  6. Axe

Axe Member

macktheknife, Groff and MUTMAN like this.
  7. Groff

Groff Member

When you can't quite get your psu and data connectors to fit on a poorly designed drive sled...

Fibre washers to the rescue.

Z washers ssd.jpg

And makeshift dustfilter - flyscreen and duct tape...

I now use superglue for a nicer finish

Z makeshift dust filter.jpg

Last edited: May 1, 2019
    emmjawsX, juzz86 and macktheknife like this.
  8. Dodge M4S

Dodge M4S Member

Can we post non PC ghetto mods? :p my power drill died and so did the battery to my battery drill. I "hard wired" my car charger to my drill with masking tape and some wire and its been working fine for the past year :D:thumbup:. The cell still in there is dead, isolated and I just needed it as it had the terminals lol. Maybe one day I'll make it less ghetto :o

IMG_20190529_130215.jpg

9. Groff

Groff Member

Just need to change your user name to Dodgy now :leet:

macktheknife and DSTM (Dougie) like this.
  10. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I did that to a bosch cordless drill once. It was a long time ago, it was a 9v. I didn't use the drills original battery though, I removed the battery and hardwired the drill to a pair of alligator clamps.

I had a 12 plate 4WD battery lying around, it wasn't quite up to scratch enough to be a reliable battery for the Chev V8 diesel I had in the Cruiser, it didn't like a lot of load, but it charged to about 14v and held it fine. So I used to sit the battery outside of the donga I was living in, next to the workbench I had in the annex.

When I needed a drill I used it as a wired drill by hooking it up to the car battery. I rarely used a drill anyway and I was too tight to buy a power drill :lol: . Also, I only used to run the generator about 3hrs twice a day, so battery power was more convenient. On that battery, the drill never went flat once that I can recall :thumbup:

It was exceptionally light, sans its original battery, and being somewhat overvolted it was quite the little beast. I just used to charge the battery directly from the generator once a week or so whenever it happened to be running anyway.

It was about 2 years before the power grid got close enough to hook up to, surviving on mostly 12v. It was a bit like travelling in a caravan but without the travelling, traffic, and overly friendly old farts who wouldn't leave you alone.

No pix, just a pointless anecdote really :lol:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    BlueRaven, Dodge M4S and MUTMAN like this.
  11. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

We can't bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell 'em stories that don't go anywhere - like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.
    Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...

Hive, BlueRaven, Dodge M4S and 2 others like this.
  12. /invariance\

/invariance\ Member

Lol mutman, been watching too many Simpsons’ episodes? ;)

MUTMAN likes this.
  13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

I've seen that show once or twice..

14. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Hello all.
    Haven't checked in for a while, nice to see everyone keeping the ghetto mod spirit alive. :thumbup:

I finally got around to fixing my trusty old Xeon X58 gaming/productivity rig which shit the bed in November of last year thanks to terminal PSU failure. I've been running on my trusty old Dell Core2Duo laptop since then.
    The following probably ended up too tidy for a real ghetto mod, but figured I'd post it anyway since I haven't been up to much other hacky stuff of late. Complaints can be emailed to johnsmith@microsoft.com. :)

IMG20190711231947.jpg

So I had these two 140mm top mount exhaust fans (as seen above) paralleled into a mobo fan header and they weren't liking it at all, even though they're only sinking 250mA each.
    The fans were sluggish to start, the rearmost one sometimes wouldn't start up at all, and the LEDs were dim and flickery. What do?

IMG20190711191126.jpg

How about a bit of the old "jam a random piece of Figure 8 cable into an unused hard-wired PCIe connector" trick? :)

IMG20190711191339.jpg

Miscellaneous mini-pheonix connector I had lying around, perfect for use as a terminal block. :thumbup:
    This all worked fine but the fans were a bit noisy, as top-mount exhaust fans tend to be.
    I needed to kill the noise a bit, but the PC sits in front of an east-facing window so it tends to get quite warm in morning sun.

Looked in my spare parts box and the first thing I laid hands on was 3 x superchunky 75V 5W zener diodes...

IMG20190714152823.jpg

... total overkill when used in forward bias to get a ¬1.5V voltage drop, but they were just sitting there so why not?

IMG20190714153123.jpg

Top fans now running at around 10.5V, still moving plenty of air but with the noisy edge taken off nicely. :)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
  15. DSTM (Dougie)

DSTM (Dougie) Member

The only way I can shut up noisy CoolerMaster Fans, is to drop the voltage to 7v through the 4 pin molex.
    Still push good air, and quieter.

BlueRaven likes this.
  16. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Yeah I thought about the "7V trick", but this PSU has no hardwired molex cables.
    Soldering station, parts box and bag-o-heatshrink were all up here in my apartment; spare modular PSU cables are down in the storage cage... somewhere... I think...
    Maybe one day I'll get around to buying or building a fan controller with thermistor inputs to ramp the fans up and down, like I had in my watercooled Raven years ago.
    Until that day comes... hack job FTW. :)

Edit: looking back through the thread and there's some proper rough-as-guts work being done. :thumbup:
    Half inclined to remove my post as it really doesn't meet proper ghetto standards, it's really far too tidy, with the soldered connections and the heatshrink and whatnot.
    But meh... I'll leave it up, maybe someone will find it useful.

For non-electronical peeps, note that the type of diode used here is definitely not critical.
    All of them will drop 0.5V - 0.6V across their semiconductor junctions when forward-biased and they are pretty robust devices which don't burn out easily even if overloaded (especially if you are running a couple of them in series for a bigger voltage drop as I did, since the power dissipation is shared across all the diodes in the circuit). The most economical type for this purpose would be the ubiquitous 1N400x series. You can grab a pack of 10 from online or brick-and-mortar retailers for a couple of bucks, they're also handy as reverse-polarity protection for any DC-powered projects (a very common use for this type), or as flyback diodes across relay coils to prevent nasty voltage spikes when the coil voltage is cut off (also known as snubber/suppressor/clamp diodes, another very common application).

Groff and DSTM (Dougie) like this.
  17. Dingostolemyghz

Dingostolemyghz Member

Points for using the connector as a makeshift terminal block, points for mismatched solid core and stranded wire, minus points for heatshink.
    Ghetto score: C

Good work getting an X58 up and running again :thumbup:

BlueRaven likes this.
  18. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Member

Fair call, I'm happy with that. :)
    The solid core is just one leg of the first diode in the string that I trimmed to match the length of the wire... it just slid right on in there. ("that's what she said", etc. etc.)

Cheers mate.
    Purchased here on OCAU from Copie sometime in 2012 along with a Core i7-930 and 6GB of g.skill ripjaws DDR3, out of an old folding@home rig which he was upgrading.
    The i7 was replaced by a Xeon X5660 from ebay a couple of years ago, the RAM is still in it along with another 6GB of g.skill Trident that I bought from sammy_b0i .
    Currently running with a stock-as-a-rock Gainward GTX 970, a Samsung 850 EVO and 4TB of platter storage, which are all getting a bit long in the tooth just like the rest of it.

It's a somewhat idiosyncratic collection of hardware. :)
    It does some odd things from time to time, and has very specific ideas about the kind of speeds/timings it's willing to run on that mismatched RAM with the Xeon.
    But it still runs well as a daily driver, handles 95% of my fairly moderate gaming needs quite well, and - knock on wood - seems to be fairly stable with the new 1050W PSU (also purchased here).
    Reckon I can get another couple of years out of it at this rate. Reduce, reuse, recycle! :lol:

Dingostolemyghz likes this.
  19. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

heatshrink !?!?
    where's the hot glue ?
    mr fuckin la-di-da.
    might as well gold plate the case while you're at it ...

:)

BlueRaven and Dingostolemyghz like this.
  20. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Gold is still worth points, provided it's applied properly of course. And you know what I mean by properly :D

BlueRaven, DSTM (Dougie) and MUTMAN like this.