1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Tight & Lazy"... The Ghetto Mod Thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BlueRaven, Aug 11, 2011.

1. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

First thing I saw too, then I noticed he elevated the ghetto even further by mounting the whole assembly with double-sided tape.
    Bravo davros123 :thumbup:

I've never played with wireless charging, but I sold a fair few sets of RS-120s and RS-170s back in the day.
    I'm a long-term Sennheiser fan (even though I'm still using a pair of somewhat mistreated AKG K-530s until they finally decide to die) and sure the 120s are basic, but you could do a lot worse for wireless over-ear cans I reckon.
    The 170s are really nice but a big jump in price and the charge cradle arrangement is actually easier and more reliable on the 120s in my opinion.
    Do let us know if you decide to make them "fully wireless" though. :D:thumbup:

MUTMAN likes this.
  2. Elmf

Elmf Member

Can't beat the Steelseries Arctis Pro for this purpose, comes with 2 batteries and one lives within the DAC, just pop it out, replace and it goes back to charging.

But they're like $450.00 :O

3. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

Ghetto
    Mods

Hmmm, this would be a hard fail though :D

Elmf likes this.
  4. Elmf

Elmf Member

Would be a massive fail. Haha

5. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

The RS-120's I have were significantly improved by replacing the stupid flat yellow foam that makes them 'on ear', which are kinda scratchy and irritating, not to mention cheap looking.

I replaced those foam things with some over ear cups I picked up on Alibaba for 3 bucks, specifically designed for the RS-120's. Not only did it make a world of difference to the sound but it helped prevent a lot of the sound bleed that annoys Eva sitting next to me. She often proves that she can hear exactly what's being said even in monotone shit like Steve from Gamers Nexus.

I try to point out that I have to turn it up to drown out the speakers on whichever Netflix movie she is watching, but of course the fault is always mine, not hers... :rolleyes:

One of the speakers on my RS-120's is now kinda flappy, something has broken in the mount mechanism I think. I can even hear a bit of plastic rattling in it when I move it around, but it doesn't make any difference to the sound output fortunately, and they are still totally useable, although the headphones have lost pretty much all cramping pressure too, which is annoying whenever I lean over to pick up something from the floor. They just fall off my head :lol:

Also, I don't particularly like the cradle, it looks crappy IMHO and it is a bit finicky about just where you are sitting the cans on to charge.

That's high on my list of want's, a new set of cans, and I've actually been looking at the 170's as a suitable replacement. Do you recommend them?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  6. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

As with all things audio, try before you buy if at all possible, but they are certainly comfortable to wear (far better than the 120s) and have excellent sound quality for wireless cans.
    I don't recall seeing many DOA's or faulties either. If you want "wireless but not Bluetooth" I think they're a good choice.

Made myself another ghetto smartphone tripod to use for talking hands videos until I can get hold of a proper tripod for my DSLR.
    Ingredients:
    1 old microphone stand
    1 of those plate/pan lifter tool thingies that I got with a convection oven
    2 cable ties

DSC05981.JPG

Works pretty well for something that took literally 2 minutes to put together. :thumbup:

juzz86, Ratzz, MUTMAN and 3 others like this.
  7. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

Love the phone holder!

FYI I’ve seen cheapy phone grips that have a threaded bolt for tripod mounts, of course wouldn’t be that ghetto :D

My latest ghetto-mod entry is the USB-powered, SATA-connected SSD, nsfw? Probably, as it’s obviously naked.

::EDIT:: Side note, SSDs are physically TINY these days, that's a 500GB Kingston that was originally packaged as a 2.5" SATA disk. Definitely reminds me why M.2 is my form-factor of choice!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
    juzz86, Ratzz, davros123 and 4 others like this.
  8. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

Dear god, it's hideous. :eek:
    I love it!

Seriously, pretty compact solution for a SATA SSD, what are you using it for?
    Some application where space is at a premium I presume?

Re. the tripod, my friend/housemate has a really nice Manfrotto tripod that he's happy for me to borrow whenever needed (he's never used it, mostly shoots birds and aircraft),
    So I literally just have to find/buy a 1/4"-20 UNC bolt to mount my Sony DSLR.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2021
  9. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

It was originally intended to be a VMware bootdisk, with storage being via SAS HBA and backplane, but discovered the onboard SATA ports won't boot if using an HBA/RAID card (I think, was a while ago).

It's now being donated to a mate who called for help with his SFF PC, to my horror I discovered:
    a) A single 3.5" spinning rust drive, split into boot / storage partitions, ooft
    b) No GPU, he was trying to game with Intel HD2500 graphics, big ooft

BlueRaven likes this.
  10. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

*glances sideways at crappy old i7 laptop that I still haven't got around to putting an SSD in*

The first time he boots it up, he will call you a wizard and sing your praises to the sky. :D

11. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

Anyone got suggestions on ghetto-modding / DIYing a shitty glasses frame until I can buy new ones? Two week minimum wait for replacements :(

12. Elmf

Elmf Member

3d printer

13. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

Yeah, but, effort. That’s way too legit and not remotely ghetto enough for a quick fix

Elmf likes this.
  14. Elmf

Elmf Member

Is it effort if it's on thingiverse already?

15. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

It is if my 3DP is sitting disassembled in a box somewhere... also Thingiverse models are unlikely to fit my existing lenses.
    Fk knows the state of my filament too. :\

::EDIT:: I was gonna take a photo of the largely-broken frames with the lenses held in with cardboard and sticky-tape, but I fear that's perhaps even too ghetto for this thread. And not PC-related enough :D
    /ot

MOAR GHETTO PICS PEOPLE

BlueRaven and Elmf like this.
  16. Elmf

Elmf Member

Pls post it. Super glue?

OCMunkee likes this.
  17. Dilbery

Dilbery Member

holy shit that is beautiful!

BlueRaven and OCMunkee like this.
  18. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I haven't seen anything other than M.2 for years now.

OCMunkee likes this.
  19. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

I think super glue / cyanoacrylate would be melty on glasses lenses/frames. I'll try to get a picture later once I've "fixed" it again :p

MR CHILLED and Elmf like this.
  20. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

How did you go dude?
    I always keep my old specs in a dusty drawer with the idea that in a worst-case scenario, I might just be able to force them into some kind of arrangement that will temporarily hold my current lenses....