1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Tight & Lazy"... The Ghetto Mod Thread

Discussion in 'Modding' started by BlueRaven, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Ghetto is ghetto, doesn't really need to be a PC. Where are the frames actually broken? I've only ever managed to break the bridge on mine, and stupid glue works for awhile. It is a bit brittle when cured though, not ideal for something that needs to be flexible You just need to be real careful not to get it on the lenses. Less is more with stupid glue anyway, you only need the tiniest amount.

You can also buy specific plastic glue too if you want to avoid that ghetto look. Probably the best solution really, but you'll need to take extreme care not to get it on the lenses or you''ll be needing new lenses. It's awesome stuff, bonds just as fast as stupid glue or 5 minute Araldite but will work on any plastics, and will bond better and be less brittle than stupid glue. Of course less is more with this stuff too.

Another option is Tarzans Grip High Strength. It's water activated, just need the surface to be slightly damp and it cures pretty quickly into an expanded foam. Because it expands you'll want to clamp it really well till cured though. Bonds really well and you can just peel the excess off once cured.

Yet another option is Tarzans Grip double sided tape. It grips fantastically well onto pretty much anything. Wrao a small piece of that over the break in the frame and just stick something on the ecposed sticky parts so it doesn't just grab all the duxt that comes near it. Bonus points if you use glitter for this, for that treasured Elton John look :D.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    BlueRaven and OCMunkee like this.
  2. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

Frustratingly one of lenses has gone walkabout in the meantime so no updates incoming unless it turns up before my replacement pair. No night driving for me!

BlueRaven and Elmf like this.
  3. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

On invitation from BlueRaven , I've now remembered to post in this thread that I forgot existed.

Some of you may already be aware of this from another particular thread. I built myself a desk.

upload_2021-7-19_19-22-20.png

This desk comprises of.

1x Melamine bench.
    Same as this, but 595mm deep as opposed to 445. I'd link the one I got, but its product profile has been delisted and loads to 404, so they probably don't sell it anymore.
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/1800-x-445-x-16mm-white-abs-melamine-sheet_p0570580

2x sets of this shelving.
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/pinnacle-1500-x-810-x-310mm-4-shelf-unit_p2760442

And 4x of these clamps.
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/craftright-150mm-heavy-duty-g-clamp_p5860103

This has been all holding together since April now, with nothing fixed into place. Everything complements each other as far as balancing and counter-weighting is concerned, so based on physics everything plays a role in holding it all together with no real weak points. The monitors are also on mounts that are clamped to the bench top and the framing of the shelving, so that is all holding there too. The intent was to not use any glueing or bolting in place, as I want it to be portable, in terms of that I can build/pull apart at will without tools (except a hammer).

All of this cost me about $120.

My chair space floor.

1x Structural plank of wood, cut to 900mm sizing, making it layered.
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/ecoply-2400-x-1200-x-12mm-structural-cd-plywood_p0340164

Below that is 1x 100x100x20 foam mat from Clark Rubber.

All on top of that is a plastic sheet from Officeworks, being held down with double sided tape, and a black foam tube cut to help protect the wall among other things if it slides.

alch, RyoSaeba, Ratzz and 3 others like this.
  4. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

BlueRaven Brute force & optimism

CAPT-Irrelevant , how are you even posting this, surely you've already put both eyes out and are bleeding to death whilst impaled on one of those wickedly sharp metal posts?
    I mean, that is unless the whole contraption hasn't just exploded into tiny fragments of regret already...

:D

Edit: lololol just noticed your Safety Foam additions :thumbup:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2021
    MUTMAN and CAPT-Irrelevant like this.
  5. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

you lost me with the safety foam .. otherwise top effort

6. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I particularly like the floorboard. I also will deduct points for the foam base though, on the basis that you would have a higher edge to roll off or roll back on your chair if you moved beyond the panel boundary. I like to have my feet on the desk so my chair needs a large coverage area of movement which your board would not cater for. instead of foam I'd have simply used a considerably larger board.

As someone who has ridiculously soft and thick cheap shit loop-pile carpet which makes chair wheels feel square, I'd love to have the floor board myself. I'd have done so ages ago if Eva wasn't obsessed with form over functionality. I may yet do it, but I'd need a 2400 x 1800 sheet to cover the area I want (our his n' hers desk is 2400 wide and 600 deep, I'd be running the board from the wall to 1800 from the wall to allow quite a large space beyond just the desk area), and I'll need to surface it with vinyl flooring or something or she wouldn't even let it through the door.

I've often thought about simply paying a pro to replace that area with ceramic tiles, with proper edging on the junction between carpet and tiles, but she won't even let me do that, let alone let me DIY.
    Unfortunately she is my partner, not my boarder, so I can't really play the 'it's my house, I don't care if you approve' card either.

I think safety is important but the foam cubes look a bit too nice. I'd suggest a bunch of chux wipes wrapped over those edges and masses of packing tape around it to keep them in place for better ghetto cred.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  7. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

Half of me thinks that this is just a troll post waiting for someone to come along and say "you should just tell her that you're gonna do it however you like".... ;)

8. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

:lol: Nah. I realise that some people are gonna say that, but I suspect most of those people will be single and have never experienced the wrath of a woman. Happy wife, happy life.

juzz86 and brayway like this.
  9. Alby1976

Alby1976 Member

Pffft.
    Time to live on the edge.

Ratzz and OCMunkee like this.
  10. Dav

Dav Member

Had to get the PC off the desk because my daughter needed more space to do her remote learning (kids right?) Put some legs on my case to keep it off the carpet, used the plastic they where hanging on the shelf at bunnings with as washers so the nuts don't bend the case. Best part is now my 2 year old can press the power button when ever he fells like it.

case.png PXL_20210809_012949261.NIGHT.jpg

juzz86, Ratzz, BurningFeetMan and 3 others like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    BlueRaven

I'm sure you'll also enjoy cleaning your dust filters three times as often.
    Tidy solution to the problem through; mine used to just sit on two piles of hardback books.
    Looking forward to seeing whatever solution you come up with to guard the power button after the little lad turns it on/off five or six times. ;)

12. Dav

Dav Member

Thinking I'll seal off all the intakes except for the one on the bottom then I only have 1 filter to clean, should still get plenty of air with the 2 fans on the top of the case.

The boy is a tricker problem.

13. MUTMAN

MUTMAN Member

set power button to do nothing in power options

BlueRaven and pwlm1975 like this.
  14. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

First thing I looked at was the dust in the bottom of the case and thought "thank God, it's not just me!"

15. Dav

Dav Member

Just changed the power button to do nothing when pressed, thanks for that.

haha yeah looks worse in the photo, not too worried about it looking a bit shabby to be honest.

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Hopefully the whole thing doesn't tip over and fall on him :Paranoid:

17. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Ocky strap the top of the tower to the desk. Safety for the kids and bonus points for the ocky strap too :D .

BlueRaven likes this.
  18. Dav

Dav Member

PXL_20210810_003845449.jpg PXL_20210810_013434282.jpg PXL_20210810_013504523.jpg

Power button issue sorted, ocky strap installed, even used more zip ties.

MR CHILLED, Elmf, MUTMAN and 5 others like this.
  19. pwlm1975

pwlm1975 Member

I love the pool noodle around the leg of the table.

BlueRaven likes this.
  20. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Last edited: Aug 10, 2021