timber & hdds

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Hardware' started by philquad, Feb 1, 2020.

1. philquad

philquad Member

i just pulled down my aging pc a few days ago, was all good & the mobo shat itself yesterday
    i got a biggg desk, if i just mount mobo, psu on the desk, but i was thinking like a hdd caddy for

2 x 3.5 hdd, 1 x ssd, & 1 dvd rom (yes i use it)

the ebay jobs dont look like they take dvd so if my handy brother cuts up 5 bits of timber
    & i sandwich it together(lightly) will the wood handle the 30deg heat of the drives?
    i could mutilate a case i suppose, but wood looks good.

2. Beavis_Wolf

Beavis_Wolf Member

Are you talking about running your components on top of your wooden desk out of the PC case? , then I would maybe put an anti static bag under your mobo but the rest of the the drives I would just have them sitting on the desk
    connected up and next to your mobo

3. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

The wood will handle the temperature, but the drives will get far hotter than they should be if they're sandwiched between pieces of wood with no forced airflow. Wood is also pretty useless both for EMI shielding (which is part of the reason that all-plastic cases never caught on) and for ESD protection (it doesn't actively generate static, but it also doesn't do anything to dissipate static that has built-up).

4. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

like a bag a new mobo comes in ? i can do that

in that case (ha) i might try to remove the cd rom section from a case, that will suit a rom drive but the hdds wont be that wide, umm

5. OP
    OP
    philquad

philquad Member

update: scored a icy box card reader on ebay & looks like i can drill out the 5.25 bay from my cheapo case.

& while your here, can you tell me how this cheap card reader can run 6 usb2 & card reader with only 1 usb2 plug ?

ha.jpg