Time to upgrade HT system

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Billyhoyle, Jul 14, 2013.

1. Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle Member

HI

Just wondering what recommendations everyone would make. Looking to upgrade HT setup. Doesn't have to be anything over the top, looking for use in a roughly a 4X4m lounge room.

Inputs required:
    Bluray
    PVR
    Wii
    iPod
    Laptop (HDMI)

Don't particularly have a budget in mind, however these were a couple that seemed to fit the bill from JB.

cheers

Pioneer HTP072 - $497 - http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/home...-htp072-600w-5-1ch-home-theatre-system/688188

Harman Kardon MTS1000 - $577 - http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/home...mts1000-575w-5-1ch-home-theatre-system/688201

LG BH6530TW - $596 - http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/home...ireless-3d-blu-ray-home-theatre-system/687412

2. OP
    OP
    Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle Member

Thanks for that recommendation, I had seen that one, not sure I can get the big speaker look past the minister for finance!

3. OP
    OP
    Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle Member

Thanks, will definitely go for a look.
    Currently have a Sony system so good to hear them recommended and there's no reason I would want to change either.
    Will go and check them out, maybe need to up the budget.

4. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

with that kind of budget, there's not many choices

the Sony will be the loudest, but whether that's a good or bad thing is up to you

search this forum for "Muteki" and see what others have to say ;)

5. FFC

FFC Member

With that budget I personally would get a second hand pair of floor standing speakers + receiver. Upgrade to surround sound later down the track.

You will get far better bang for buck and wont be reduced to using that awful sony gear.

6. SLIMaxPower

SLIMaxPower Member

+1

Don't waste your money

7. Statts

Statts RIP

Yeah that Muteki stuff is a special kind of awful.

8. ~Spyne~

~Spyne~ Member

Agreed, have heard two set-ups with the Muteki and it is woeful.
    Loud? Yes.
    Clear, accurate, musical? Hell no.

Problem is, your budget is rather small. To get a receiver and 5.1 sound, you HAVE to accept there will be rather large compromises when it comes to quality.
    You can try hunting around for second-hand gear to pop up, but you'll probably still struggle, or at the least, get impatient.

RIO are having a big sale at the moment, with some decent deals for HT set-ups.
    A couple at Sunnybank too (link)

9. deluxe

deluxe Member

Either of these will be fine for a 'starter pack' for surround speakers and a basic sub, but you really need decent fronts. Seriously, don't skimp on your fronts. They are doing all your sonic heavy lifting..

Secondhand fronts would be fine! check gumtree etc

Here's an example of something new from JB.

http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/home...atlantic-at-400-floorstanding-speakers/437228

10. FFC

FFC Member

He also said it doesn't need to be over the top, which is exactly what that Sony system is.

11. Zee

Zee Member

This. All in ones really are a waste of time.

Z...

12. OP
    OP
    Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle Member

Thanks guys,

The budget was simply based on a look at what JB had to offer, think it's time to expand the budget a bit!

certainly doesn't have to be an all in one, was more about ease and thinking that the size of the room it would be adequate

13. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

I'm with Crazy. There's nothing wrong with this set at all. A lot of the people here are just snubbing them because they think they're 'PRO AUDIOPHILEZZ'. At the end of the day, with a small amount of time spent adjusting the sound to your liking, you're not going to get any better value for money.

I've had my fair share of rackmount systems with standalone crossovers, equalisers, dsps and power amps, and there's certainly nothing wrong with this package. Especially when everything 'just works' with it.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  14. Fishface

Fishface Member

My problem with HTIB (home theater in a box) systems is that they tend to end up as e-waste on the nature strip when they fail as they are usually incompatible with normal components.

If you buy separate components you have an upgrade path in the future.

For example this Pioneer receiver and a BD player with a speaker package would be a good start.

http://www.jbhifi.com.au/jb-hi-fi-home-audio/receiver/pioneer/625w-5-1ch-3d-hd-avr-2012-sku-88526/

The Sony Muteki systems are designed for a specific market, CUBS (Cashed Up Bogans). Hence the large ugly plastic looking speakers and excess number of subwoofers.

15. Zee

Zee Member

I'm not snubbing it because of "PRO AUDIOPHILEZZ", I am snubbing them because I work in the industry , have for the last 17 years, and I know what I am talking about.

Buying second hand *will* get you GOOD quality audio. Really, it will! (there was a Yamaha RXV863 on the "for sale" section a few days back for $150 or so). As for speakers, if you do some research, there are some real bargains out there. I picked up a pair of late 1980's Canton floor standing speakers the other day for free. They sound fantastic. If they were on ebay, $50 would get them. They will destroy, in every possible way, any HTIAB you could ever find, even just in stereo.

That simple.

Advice given. Taking it is not necessary.

Also 100% true.

Z...

Last edited: Jul 21, 2013
  16. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

No argument there Z., but if he wants 'new', then not much compares. If he wants surround sound, the Sony kit is unbeatable, if he just wants stereo, then yes, he should consider other options. Really depends on his goal.

That said, the sony stuff isn't that bad in terms of interchangeability. The receiver and power amps are all interchangable, and common.

17. OP
    OP
    Billyhoyle

Billyhoyle Member

what's peoples thoughts on this one - http://www.jbhifionline.com.au/default.aspx?Z=C&T=10374&P=694288

Pioneer ES528 850W 5.1 Channel Home Theatre System

5.1 Channel Home Theatre featuring compatibility with Airplay, iPod, iPhone, HDMI with 3D, ARC & Ultra HD (4K) Pass Through, 6 x HDMI, Active Subwoofer

850 Watt

HTC Connect

DLNA Certified

6 x HDMI

Active Subwoofer

18. steffan72

steffan72 Member

That would certianly be a much better option that the sony rubbish.

Be aware of the following though......the receiver itself is only 650W as it is a VSX-528 which quotes 130w per channel. A look at the back of it shows a max power of 450W so at 100% efficiency you will max at 90W per channel. The amps probably give you 70% efficiency at best which gives you around 60W per channel.

Go and check out DTV forum.....join up and get youself a decent second hand receiver from there....then get 2 decent floorstanders (there are some great second hand ones there) and start with that...............you will regret buying the cheap stuff as you will end up upgrading it and costing yourself more money. start with 2 channel and add to it when you have the cash and you will be alot happier with the result.

19. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

pretty much this

20. Euphoreia

Euphoreia Member

Just go and listen to a set of the Sonys that have been set up properly, then make your decision. -Most- people have no clue how to adjust settings, and they sound trash. The default settings are terrible, but they can be fiddled with to sound really nice :) As mentioned in other threads on the forum here, I've had everything from full rack-mount setups with 4000w RMS power amps to the set of old KEF Reference speakers sitting in my spare room, so I've listened to my fair share of audio gear...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013