1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiny GTX 660 i7 Gamer

Discussion in 'PC Build Logs' started by Ratzz, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Still working on the other projects, but a couple of purchases this week have me started on a new one as well. Time to build a nice box instead of ghettoing other things.

This one will have

P8Z77-I Asus ITX
    i7 3770k
    EVGA GTX 660 SC 2G
    Silverstone modular 450 SFX PSU
    16GB GSKILL Ripjaws DDR 1600
    Corsair H90 closed loop cooler
    2 x Samsung 840 SSD in RAID 0
    1 x 3TB Seagate SATA3 3'5"

Its the purchase of the GPU, PSU and the H90 from clrobbo that has made this happen. Thanks mate :) I wanted to build a real gamer this time, but on a relatively low budget, and in a compact case. This combo of parts ticks all the boxes.

I am going to buy the Asus board later this week, stick my 3770k, SSD's and 3TB, and 16GB RAM on it, then watercool the CPU. I am also going to isolate most of the GPU cooling to outside of the box.

In keeping with my desire to build small things, I think the box is about 8.75 litres, though I am happy to be corrected. The CPU will be water cooled, the GPU will be air cooled.

The box will be made of polished merbau, handcrafted for the job. I'll rout some nice edges onto the box too of course, and maybe try some inlays.

I dont start this stuff without planning, but I have all the parts except for the board, and this build will definitely be finished within 2 weeks, so please bear with the renders I use for concept.

If you dont want to see my renders, now is the time to click the 'back' button...

The basic layout.

[​IMG]

The concept.140mm H90 at the front with a decent (not the corsair fan) PWM fan doing the pushing. The airflow from the fan is intended to cool the RAM and the big power daughterboard on the P8Z77-I motherboard. The fan on the PSU will act as the extractor fan.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The GPU will be virtually independent thermally. I specifically wanted this kind of design, so that I could feed it with fresh air and vent it straight back out of the case.

In this render, thats not really a 660. Its only a 560, the 660 fan is smaller and further back. It will do for concept purposes though, and the dimensions are similar. Its just easier to use someone elses model if you can find one that suits ok than make your own ..

[​IMG]

A view with the PSU removed. You can see the drives on the left. The SSDs will present no problems but it will be necessary to have right angled connectors on the 3.5" drive.
    The GPU takes the entire right (on this rear view) side.

The radiator is directly in front of the RAM and VRM board, and airflow through the radiator should be sufficient to cool them and hopefully also create enough of a breeze to cool the HDD as well.

[​IMG]

The PSU sits over the board (it will be attached to a hinged lid), and its fan is the only extraction fan for the case. There is ample clearance from all parts, even the super tall dominator ram I have included in the render. Airflow should be pretty good I think. Also, when the hinged lid is lifted and the power supply swings away, access to all parts of the case will be good too.

[​IMG]

I havent bothered with a burner, if I need one I will use USB.

I'll start getting some photos up as soon as I start cutting timber, and when I pick up the extra parts from clrobbo on Thursday.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  2. Akh-Horus

Akh-Horus Member

Saw the title and thought there was going to be a large engine bay with a V8 somehow involved lol.....

3. bazerk

bazerk Member

So did I. Looks cool though.

4. Ishinomori

Ishinomori Member

The PSU will intake the air and exhaust it out of the back of the PSU, which looks to be still inside the case.

[​IMG]

If you were to make the back panel hinged and the top panel bracketed off the back panel, with adequate holes (or partially mounted into the back wall), perhaps this may aid in case exhaust.

5. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

why not 670 dcu2 mini? :D

6. alexc2005

alexc2005 Member

Why not SG05?

:thumbup:

7. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Because a 660 is what I have.

Why not just buy a ready made computer? A crappy looking metal one just like everyone else has...

Last edited: Jul 8, 2013
  8. alexc2005

alexc2005 Member

Okay.

Fair enough...

9. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

So here is what it will look like, kinda :)

Its not the actual board or chip, but dimensions etc are identical. I wasnt going to bother taking the H55 off the board just for pix, but you get the idea.

THis is actually a H61 ITX board with a G2020 on it. The real board will be the only thing I havent bought yet, a P8Z77-I, and will have my 3770K in it.

So the EVGA GTX660 looks absolutely mighty on the tiny board lol.. chose this one because it was the right price, and will intake from the side of the case and exhaust out the back of the case, hopefully contributing very little heat to the case interior. The 660 may not be top of the line but its a pretty good GPU nevertheless.

The Silverstone 450W SFX PSU is tiny but a great PSU. Full modular too :)

I've substituted a laptop drive for the 2 SSD's that will live there, they are on the main machine at the moment, just wanted to demonstrate size. The 1TB 3.5" drive in the pic will be substituted for the 3TB version that is also living where the SSD's currently are. I wont be dismantling that rig to move into this one until I have the new board and a case for it obviously.

The H55 is perfect size wise, but I doubt I will use it. I am certain this is a 5GHz chip, I plan to get it at least that far, and the H55 wont do the job.

Note also, I have unlimited height available for RAM :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The PSU is just sitting on the hoses and that block of wood. It will actually be attached to the hinged lid, and lift with the lid. Obviously the hoses will be adjusted too, especially since its not the H55 I plan to use.

[​IMG]

Since I have a choice of coolers.. the H55 on the left, a H70 with push/pull in the middle, and a H90 on the right...

[​IMG]

The H55 isnt up to the job. Scratch that. Mind you, its a great cooler for a G2020 :D CPU rarely gets to more than 10C delta.

The H90 is the quietest, and will do the job. Its taller and wider than the others though, being a 140mm cooler. Thats going to make the whole case bigger.

The H70 will do the best cooling, fit well, but make more noise. Of course I will buy better fans than the shitty corsair fans.. although the H90 fan is a lot better because its PWM.

With the H55 and the H90, I can shorten the case slightly due to thinner rads and single fans, but this leaves the drives all too close together to cable well.

So, pull the big HDD forwards, and the H70 will be the final choice, with the drive and front H70 fan aligned at the front of the case... you will just have to imagine the H70 taking up the extra space to the end of the drive, not going to fit it just for a pic lol..

[​IMG]

THe case will intake via the H70, blowing lots of air over the ram and the rest of the board, and get sucked out the back via the PSU. The GPU will both intake and exhaust externally. I'll be replacing the Corsair fans with some nice Noctuas.

After reading someones thread the other day with thick laser cut aluminium all folded nicely, I am considering getting some quotes on having something made. I'm thinking like 5mm aluminium.. so I can use it to block up cars with one day lol.. but I think in the end a fancy wooden box is more likely.

I will ponder on that for awhile :) .. see what quotes are for aluminium first..

The internal dimensions should be about 240wx270dx120h :) Add some to all of that of course to account for the thickness of whatever the case finishes up being made of.

Thoughts anyone?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  10. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Having a little trouble picturing that. Are you saying make the back and top one piece, and adding vents where possible on the top of the back panel?

11. Ishinomori

Ishinomori Member

Double post

12. Ishinomori

Ishinomori Member

Essentially yes, you could then hinge it at the bottom of the back panel.

Or, you could have the PSU mounted to the roof so the hot air can exhaust out of there instead, but i was thinking you would want to keep the top neat.

13. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

gimme five lol i will whip up a drawing.. but yeah thats essentially the plan anyway i think..

14. Ishinomori

Ishinomori Member

Good to hear :thumup:

As long as the back panel is slightly recessed, and you dont flushmount the psu with the outside of the case, you should be fine for clearance for the PSU switch.

15. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Just a quicky, sorry :)

This is my plan basically. Open it up, and every part of the computer is easily accessible. Cables can be routed to and down the back panel and then around the board, so opening the machine while its running wont be an issue, nothing will move or foul. Just need to allow some slack at the hinge point.

EDIT disregard top right hinge :D

[​IMG]

16. Ishinomori

Ishinomori Member

Awesome mate, looks good.

Those vents either side of the PSU should help if you build up positive pressure from the intake fan on the 120 rad!

This will be an awesome build when it is done, will look like a cigar box :p

17. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Thanks :) Will be a pretty quick computer too.. the H70 is a pretty good rad, the push/pull will get a nice positive pressure to the case, the PSU will help suck some of it out again and the rest goes out the vents. Along the way, the airflow is huge at the ram, and the whole board gets a good airflow.

The 660 is perfect for the job because both intake and exhaust are external.. none of the GPU air travels through the case at all. Of course there will be some latent heat but it wont be a lot.

The P8Z77-I which will be in the final build has a daughter board with 10 phase power on it, , on the hard drive side of the board, so that will need (and get) plenty of air too.

I have already seen 4.8 from this chip on the stock hsf... it took about half an hour to build temps up way too high so I canned it.. but its running 4.55 stable on the stock hsf right now at about 79 (under load of course). Just sitting here typing this, its showing 34. Ambient is about 12.

I believe that properly cooled, the chip is good for well over 5GHz. This box should provide that, and the 660 is certainly not a crap GPU either. Its a 2G EVGA superclocked. Maybe not top of the heap but still holds its own.

Striped Samsung 840's as well of course..should be quite a performer for such a small box.

Looking forward to getting it done :) And hey.. it shows a litle in the photos, but in real life.. that GPU dwarfs the board ... makes the board look insignificant. Its quite weird to look at.

18. Ishinomori

Ishinomori Member

Have you considered increasing the size slightly to incorporate a h90?

Plan to run 2x 840's in raid0?

19. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Yes, I have considered the H90. I actually bought it with the other stuff with using it in mind. The H70 is a more effective cooler though, even though its only 120mm. Has more surface area with a much higher fin count and double thickness, and the push/pull will give great airflow through the case.

If I wasnt going for a 24/7 5GHz machine, then the H90 would be better, because it will be quieter and I do enjoy silence. But I do hope to make it one, so I think I need the better performance of the H70 in the end, and it does make the case smaller too, which of course I also like.

Already running 840s in RAID 0 on a P8Z77-M with that chip. Loving it :)

They will be doing the same on the new ITX board.

20. Ishinomori

Ishinomori Member

Ive never done raid 0 before, but I plan to give it a go.