1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Tiny GTX 660 i7 Gamer

Discussion in 'PC Build Logs' started by Ratzz, Jul 7, 2013.

1. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Just an update of where I am at with all this.

I'm well into mark XXVIII of the metal frame, pix of that soon :)

Have the desired mobo, Asrock Z77-E ITX.

Using a single stick 8G 1333 Kingmax for now, hoping to move to a pair of quality 8G 1600 instead soon.

i7-3770K is delidded and ready for duty.

I have the desired HDD combo.. 250GB Samsung Evo and 3x 1TB 7200rpm HGST drives (Hitachi Travelstars reborn)

Decided on a different way of doing the HDD bridge, and have ordered a silverstone sata power lead to butcher.

I have most of the cooling sorted. I have decided on solid direct fittings between pump, res, and rad. Phobya didnt cater for that in their kit, so I have ordered some more fittings. Also needed to make a fill port arrangement as I plan on having the res horizontal.

Heres the cooling gear so far. The rads only a 240 but its 60mm thick so I am thinking it will do the job well enough. I'll be replacing their fans with some Bitfenix PWM's though.

[​IMG]

You can see 2 blocks there, one of them is for the GPU. I havent opened the GPU case yet so I have no idea whats under there. I did see a vid of a 660TI unmasked, and if its anything like that I wont need to add vrm heatsinks. Nevertheless, I have some universal ones and some heatpad material ordered in case I need them.

Sticking with compression fittings (these came with the kit) because after I have the design right, I am going to redo it with ridid acrylic tubing. I prefer the look of compression fittings anyway. The supplied pump is temporary, I will pick up something better I think.

Also pictured are the Samsung 240G Evo and the 3 1TB HSGT drives.

This lot on order to finish the loop... Monday or Tuesday I hope :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  2. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I'm hopeful that the various extra bits as described in my last post will all arriving from PCCG on Mon or Tues.

Took awhile to plan, this is a pretty cool way to waste my time and money lol

Starting with the pic below. The rad is set well back, its actually hanging over the old mobo tray its sitting on right now.

This is far enough back to allow a 270mm GPU, which pretty much covers most of them. To get the original 305mm biggest of them all in there, the rad would be completely off this mobo tray, and the case length will have grown to 410. You can see how much clearance there is from the board, a stupid waste of space in a case I wanted to be small.

I've decided neither of these are acceptable, so I am just going to allow for a 200mm GPU. This will easily fit my 660 once the air cooler is removed, and many other cards shrink a lot when you wc them too.

The upright bracket will be attached to the fans, and a right angle bend in the upper end of that bracket will be made to support one end of the res, once I have it in place and am sure of where to bend.

Ignore the power cables, I'll rotate the fans so the power is underneath.

[​IMG]

Heres how I plan on setting up the pump and res. Its further back than it will be, it should all be 70mm closer to the PSU and board.

I have the res on top of course. The topmost of the end plugs will have a right angle, 4mm m/m extender, 22mm f/f extender and a plug, and become a fill port.

One of the side ports will attach directly to the inlet on the pump using a pair of 4mm m/m extenders and a 22mm f/f extender. This will govern the height of the res, it should come up about half an inch higher than the top of the rad, and need support about halfway up the fan.

Another pair of the 4mm m/m extenders and a 22mm f/f extender will join the pump to the lower port of the rad.

So this end of the cooling system will all be rigid metal connectors, with no tubing. The only tube will be the upper (out) port on the rad, and the tubing will fit nicely along the top of the rad and at about the same height as the top of the res. All tuibing in compression fittiings.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  3. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Making a right angle when past the res will go in a direct line to the CPU block, then over the GPU (block on the back), and back to the end of the res. I'll be doing the loop with the black tubing phobya suppplied, just to get it all going, but I have my eye on some UV orange rigid acrylic tubing...

I'll be moving the whole thing forward, like the pic below. I cant take a photo of a mockup because I cant do one, there is no space in there to stick something to hold the res up for a pic. Plenty of room for the planned bracket though. Everything fits quite nicely, and with losing the ability to have a big GPU, I have shortened the case by 100mm.

The rad in this pic wil actually need to be further over, but the cooler in the 660 is blocking it. You can see the actual size of the watercooled version though.. the visible circuit board is the actual card size and the extra length is air cooling.

Dimensions will currently be 300D 328W 180H .. a lot more than the original plan but I guess thats the price you pay if you want to start sticking bigger rads in.. It will still be pretty compact for the beast that lurks within. The PSU in there is temporary, I will have to pick up a decent modular for it.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  4. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

Took the GPU out so I could put the rad and pump into position.

[​IMG]

There will be no problems with clearance. The 660 with the fan and heatsink removed shrinks to the size of that PCB.

[​IMG]

I'll even have room for 3 of the HDDs under the rad, easily accessible too. Not sure where to put the SSD yet though.

[​IMG]

5. auApex

auApex Member

Awesome. Have you considered leaving out the res entirely? There's no inherent requirement to include a dedicated res in a watercooling loop. It does make filling and bleeding easier but you can still put together a loop without a res fairly easily, particularly if you get a multi-port radiator. Seems to make sense to ditch the res if size is your primary concern.

6. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I fucked up the mobo on this build, bent the pins grrrrr fucking noob :lol:

To keep the rig running I stuck everything onto an mATX board I had lying around. That meant a case to put it in.. then I got a gpu block.. then I needed moarad.. and I got a bigger case.. lol you get the picture.

Since this is my first custom loop it kind of suits sticking it into a bigger case I think.. kind of feels easier and safer to learn on. Getting out of control though, the new case will have a single (or if I feel totally silly one day I even have room for a second :lol: ) Alphacool 420 Monsta in it.

I'll be back to this build, I have tried sending the metalwork to yet another guy, but not expecting it back for about 6 weeks. Its grown considerably, its now a 300mm cube... kind of similar to a corsair 540, split chambers, but sitting up the other way with the mobo on display on top and almost everything else concealed underneath.

I'm hoping the experience will make me more comfy with no res, its certainly more than just an option. I'm also almost certain the plumbing will be polished copper.

I'll post some renders of the new design when I get home.

7. sonicthemouse

sonicthemouse Member

I'll be keen to see the final product, and how similar it is to the original design lol :p

In terms of volume it must be at least twice or three times as big by now :lol:

Shame about your motherboard - do you reckon it's repairable? I could probably do with a spare for mine...

Still this should run both cool and quiet, and have plenty of space/flexibility for storage upgrades, while still maintaining a fairly minimal footprint.

I considered doing a loop without a res but the H55 was a much simpler solution in the end, although the temps inside the case were a little on the warm side last week? when we had a stretch of 40+ degree days. The GPU and CPU themselves were fine, but aside from the fan on the H55 (which is only on quite low rpm), there's no other exhaust fan in the case.

Good luck with getting the metalwork sorted this time ay! :thumbup:

8. paulbaird87

paulbaird87 Member

Is this what you were aiming for? Corsair 240

I read every page of this thread thinking that I was reading my life story from the past few months. I went over all of this. I wanted to make the smallest rig possible and custom build my case but as my understanding of flow grew so did my desire for more power and potential and my plans changed at least a hundred times.
    Anyway all the brain bashing and hair pulling worked out in the end. My rig is a little bigger than your latest goal of a 300mm rig, I think with the legs on it dimensions are 390L,330H,320W, so not a too much bigger, still very compact.
    This one (see pics) is a Corsair Carbide 240, baby brother to the 540, and has two water cooling loops squeezed in, one built into the R9 295x2 card and one 240mm xspc custom water loop which apart from the cpu water block is completely consealed under the mobo compartment. The split compartment is the only way to go if you are building a system to look at. As you can see I really didn't pay much attention to cable management or new pretty sleeved cables but it still looks awesome and neat enough.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

You can see in the last picture where i mounted the 240mm rad, and drilled the 408 holes. The industrial noctua fans that push air down, out of the system, have 2.9 something static air pressure and do a great job of cooling that rad even with the limited space they have! you can really feel alot of airflow under the system, hence the furniture style legs.

I hope this helps you get closer to your compact buld ;-)

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  9. OP
    OP
    Ratzz

Ratzz Member

I gave up on this one a long time ago lol.. but I have another one in planning at the moment. Probably get a start on it in a month or so.

10. sonicthemouse

sonicthemouse Member

Oh man that looks good! Have you got a build log?

(Mine is still smaller btw :lol:)

11. paulbaird87

paulbaird87 Member

No "build log" as such, just a few pics along the way, I put it together very quickly due to complete lack of patients and being way to excited!
    Yours may be smaller but is it pushing 1700 on fire strike with temps of cpu under 60 and gpu under 70? ;-)