1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

Tip: The Gimp for video/animation

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by funkychild, Aug 13, 2002.

1. funkychild

funkychild Member

During the last week or so, I've been investigating different software to use in a video project I've got coming up. I'm going to be using animation (probably a blend of 2d and 3d) and was thinking of a sketched kind of 2d style. After searching around, I've found that The Gimp (Windows version also available - google for it) has a few great features for working with video/animation. You can load up an image sequence (eg. a movie converted to still frames like frame0000.tif, frame0001.tif, etc.) and while viewing one at a time, step between them with 'previous', 'next', etc buttons. The closest thing Photoshop has is the web animation stuff in Imageready, which is useless for me since it's only for crummy small GIF animations and not full frame video, and you have to manually set up each frame (useless if your sequence is even 20~30s long).

You can also create an image with multiple layers, and convert those layers to an image sequence. I can't remember offhand, but I think you may also be able to convert an image sequence to layers. An obvious application of this is to make your animation by adding layers, and changing their transparency for an 'onion skin' effect so you can refer to the previous/next frame when working on the current one. The Gimp also contains an animation preview window where you can play back your animation (this only works on the multiple-layered image method AFAIK).

So anyway, yeah. If you're looking for a nice way to edit image sequences, animations, etc. The Gimp may just be for you. And if you use Linux (I don't so I couldn't check it out :( ), you can even have a look at Film Gimp a version developed by Silicon Grail and Rhythm and Hues that is designed for working with hi-res film image sequences, that was used in such features as Cats and Dogs and Scooby Doo.

Here's a little semi-walkcycle that I whipped up last night while investigating The Gimp:
    http://m477.com:9000/misc/anitest.mov

Last edited: Aug 13, 2002