Tips for creating website to be maintained by noob

Discussion in 'Programming & Software Development' started by Deltoid, Jul 14, 2008.

1. Deltoid

Deltoid Member

My sister has started running a charity, she created a site herself just using publisher or something and it actually turned out pretty nice.

Anyway, I'm going to redo it for her as she has a bunch of problems with it and wants it to be more maintainable, eg things like content managers but not sure if that will realy do the job.

So what tips do you have for making it more maintainable? It'd be pretty much static HTML or asp. Any tips for good free templates to look at?

2. ya3

ya3 Member

CMS Made Simple is the easiest CMS system I've ever used.

Create your HTML template with {content} in the content area, create your stylesheet and assign it to the template, and then create your 'pages' of different content. Runs on PHP and MySQL.

Either that, or create the site in Dreamweaver and setup Contribute on your sister's PC.

3. OP
    OP
    Deltoid

Deltoid Member

thanks for the tip, I will look at that CMS system, I think she has php on her site.

Anyone able to suggest some free templates worth a look or template sites to browse.

4. lukhangcheng

lukhangcheng Member

5. ridecwb

ridecwb Member

This is the first time I have seen this, all I can say is wow! This will revolutionise the way we do simple sites now.

Or have I just been hiding under a rock :)

Ridecwb

6. OP
    OP
    Deltoid

Deltoid Member

Nice, that looks good lukhangcheng. That is kind of what I'm looking for, something my sister can use to update content but not break the rest of the site in the process.

Considering you are setting particular elements to the cushycms class does that stop you from using a css class to define the theme for the element?

7. dukestar

dukestar Member

you could encapsulate editable items in another div or span and then use selectors to theme the content. Or you could probably just use an ID on the content which cushycms is editing and then use that in your stylesheet.

8. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

You can have more than 1 class name on an element...

9. lukhangcheng

lukhangcheng Member

Yeah thats true, or you can give your divs IDs.

I am eager to give this one a try too.

10. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Do you know what ID's are?

11. OP
    OP
    Deltoid

Deltoid Member

Thanks Elyzion, in case it wasn't obvious I don't know a lot about making websites, I've made a few in my time but have only used CSS once or twice.

12. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

Ok well just seperate them by a space, like

class="cushy centered awesomness"

13. lukhangcheng

lukhangcheng Member

yeap, you can give you div a id instead of a class and then assign you style by id. This is often perferrable i find, but it depends on the layout of the page/site.

14. romanx

romanx Member

15. Elyzion

Elyzion Member

An ID should be used to uniquely identify an element. It should NOT be used in place of a class.

Class's should be perferrable. While ID's define specific elements such as Head/Footer/Content/Login-Control etc, things that are only going to be specified once.

16. lukhangcheng

lukhangcheng Member

sure :D :thumbup::thumbup:

17. gobbledegook

gobbledegook Member

Painless as possible? Contribute CS3 would have to be on the shortlist :) Depending on the exact functionality, requirements, budget, and time.

18. WetSandwich

WetSandwich Member

Wow, I love you. This is the best thing I've ever seen, and it's saved me from tons of manual coding I was about to start. :thumbup:

19. lukhangcheng

lukhangcheng Member

Yeah, you guys should be aware of the limitations of such a site (cushycms) vs a full blown CMS (like Joomla or Drupal).

Joomla and Drupal has a "HUGE" mods/plug-in community and is way more powerful, so depending on your needs those might suit you better.

20. OP
    OP
    Deltoid

Deltoid Member

Yeah, I'm going to test the cushycms on a simple page first. From what I've seen it looks like it will do the job though, she basically just needs to be able to update the news and the likes on the page and from the looks of it cushy can do that and looks easy to implement from my end.