Tips on getting Free Flight Upgrades?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Travel' started by pepsimax, Jan 19, 2014.

1. cvidler

cvidler Member

busy sucking it in coach.
    :lol:

2. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

with no free wifi :lol:

3. Wink

Wink Member

+1

Got my upgrade from Premium to Business. And I know its because of my FF class (just Gold) because the check-in lady said "Because of your Gold FF, we're upgrading you."

It was a stellar upgrade though. :thumbup:
    From Premium to the top deck of a 747, the very front row, right behind the pilot. Didn't even need the PA system, because I could hear the pilot talk from my seat. This was a Tokyo -> Sydney flight.

4. Zee

Zee Member

Ooohhh... Gotta love the Red Light District seats!

On a side note... I actually watched a bunch of Bus. class folks get downgraded to Cattle when I flew from SYD-LAX on Jan 22 - one of the two 747's United were flying had some issue, so the SYD-SFO flight was canned - bunch of first class folk were put on the LAX flight into business, the fully packed Bus class section, obviously, needed some space made...

Z...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  5. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

did everyone get cash back or other compensation?

the original business class folk would be pissed the most i reckon, as first to business isn't as bad as business to cattle

6. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Member

Generally the airlines are very good at compensating for downgrades - things like a complimentary systemwide upgrade (eg: buy economy get business on any leg), and cash at times too.

Old man took $500 SGD once as compensation to catch a business class flight two hours later than the one he was on - same reason; ground one plane, and push premium passengers onto the next available flight.

7. Zee

Zee Member

No idea - but I am presuming so, I'd be a very pissed passenger if I were knocked to cattle from business. Though, to be honest, UA seem to be not valuing their customers as much anymore, since the takeover by merger with Continental.

Z...

8. SpicEwEazle

SpicEwEazle Member

haha, that's not going to do you any good. Use your points for the upgrade, else you are SOL. unless of course you are say a platinum FF and they have overbooked economy.

9. timsarg

timsarg Member

just because he sees seats empty means nothing . Qantas would have sold some of those seats to a codeshare and they will not upgrade someone just because those seats are empty because they have been paid for by the other airline .

Absolutely no chance of going from economy to first . Not even economy to business . You would have a slightly better chance of buying a PE ticket and then maybe getting an upgrade but unless you are gold or higher FF status they don't just hand out upgrades because you dress well or sweet talk the check in staff . They've heard it all before .

Personally the best way to fly business is to pay for a PE ticket and put in a request for a points upgrade .

10. Zee

Zee Member

So, I'm guessing pepsimax was drinking Pepsi at the back of the bus, not Bollinger at the front.

Z...

11. wwwww

wwwww Member

I've gone from Discount Economy to First twice before with Qantas.

The first time they put me in business on check-in and up to first at the gate - I was QFF Platinum then though.

More recently I was on a discount economy ticket but booked into the PE cabin (there was a plane change from a 2 class to a 4 class 747), then upgraded to business on check-in but into a First class seat. That and I'm only on a complimentary QFF gold membership (haven't made enough for gold for years but they keep renewing it - only a lifetime silver member).

12. Zee

Zee Member

Both cases, you have at least Gold status, OP does not (or has not mentioned it).

Z...

13. vec

vec (Taking a Break)

How many years have you been comped to Gold?

14. wwwww

wwwww Member

Two so far - ok that's not exactly "years", but it feels that way when you're stuck in the business lounge. :p

15. vec

vec (Taking a Break)

That's the first case I've heard of being comped twice. Very lucky!

16. occxlr8ed

occxlr8ed Member

Once and only once have I been upgraded.
    London to Sydney, flights were overbooked. Got offered 900 pounds to stay an extra night, put up in the Hilton.
    Next night got offered the same thing, but couldn't, got bumped from economy to business (y)

17. Tomee

Tomee Member

stupid question, if i already paid for economy tickets, can i pay for an upgrade later?

18. Zee

Zee Member

Yes - assuming your economy ticket class allows it. But the upgrade will be per segment, and will always be more expensive overall (if you upgrade all legs).

Z...

19. OP
    OP
    pepsimax

pepsimax Member

Well I didn't get an upgrade, she said that I could use points to upgrade my seating to either premium eco or business, but I just left it as I want to use my points later either to Cairns (see mates) then onto Whitsundays later in the year with my girlfriend.

I am going back over to Paris though around June for a 6 week europe adventure with my girlfriend and by how it looks so far with all this travel, i might be a QF Gold member for a year yiew

20. Zee

Zee Member

That will help, though one thing I have noticed, the higher my status gets, the more I realise how many people have a status way higher than I do.

Also, make sure that if you are hoping for a bump, that you buy a ticket class that allows for it. Not sure what they are with QF.

Z...