Tivo ending in Australia

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by bethalor, Mar 2, 2017.

1. bethalor

bethalor Member

It was difficult to sleep, I was tossing and turning,
    Was it the heat, the moving of my elderly uncle into care, no, I was drawn to the computer.
    Checking my emails I was devastated to learn that tivo, my everlasting, reliable crap filtering intuitive tv recording device willl cease to function.
    This is despite a lifetime subscription which I guess is defined as
    "almost ten years"
    To add insult to injury we are being offered a "swap" for fetch tv, not a good deal at all.

" We are giving you the opportunity to swap your active* TiVo device for a Fetch Mighty device at $100 off the Recommended Retail Price, purchased through Harvey Norman online. That’s $299 based on today’s RRP. (RRP is $399 as at 1/3/17, subject to change.)"

I was that impressed by tivo I have purchased three, one for me , one for the wife and one for the kids, so I am way in the hole when they stop working.
    My mate has two.

Surely this is some sort of breach of contract as the lifetime subsription should be for the lifetime of the device, not when they couldn't be bothered supplying the epg guide anymore.

http://support.mytivo.com.au/index.php?action=artikel&cat=1&id=127&artlang=en

Anyone else in my situation?

Norman

2. pgroom

pgroom Member

I had the same thoughts. TiVo is just awesome, nothing else has the intelligent suggestions feature, the thing just works and has done ever since I bought mine when they were first released in Australia.

I was about to sign up for their Fetch TV offer when I became suspicious about the "We recommend you register and purchase quickly " comments and read the terms and conditions. You give up all right to any redress by accepting the Fetch offer. That's when I decided to hang back and see how it all pans out over the next few weeks.

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've come to understand that whenever I see "lifetime" it's only ever for the lifetime of the company. Already speculation last year about the demise of Hybrid TV.

4. axiom555

axiom555 Member

is there anything else out there that does season recording well?
    I guess I wont get frustrated when the TiVo only responds to 1 in 20 remote clicks anymore...

5. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Lifetime is lifetime of the product not lifetime of "us" humans

If you bought one last year, you might have a case for better compensation since the company isn't folding, but for a device that is ten years old as you stated you will find it hard to get anything even if you took them to authorities.

Though if a class action was organised that was open to all with many buyers who only had it for few years, you might get lucky.

But arguing that a electronic device these days must last more than three to five years would be hard.

6. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

It wouldn't be worth the trouble to go through.

7. bjs

bjs Member

Yep, all Tivo owners are pissed off.

Built in obsolescence...

8. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Yep, we have 4 of them, all circa 2009.

Not overly happy, but I doubt I'd have any recourse through ACL or similar, given the age of mine.

We also have a Fetch TV box (the prev gen), and it's not bad. It's not as "Nanna Friendly" as the TiVO though (which is why we went with TiVO in the first place).

9. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Some did get a fair few years out of it though.

10. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

I've changed one of ours out for a Fetch TV box as a bit of a test. All good so far. Painless process at HN (first time I think I've ever said that)

11. TaXy DriVar

TaXy DriVar Member

Ive been using TiVo since before they were in Australia. Imported a refurb from USA, installed custom firmware so it could use a 3rd party tuner and IR controls to change channel. Used to acquire the TV guide from a community type forum, OZTivo I think it was called.

When TiVo came to Australia the forum was forced to shutdown.
    Now that TiVo have left Australia, maybe the community can start up again ... a longshot but maybe it will breed life back into our units.

12. OP
    OP
    bethalor

bethalor Member

Tivo in Australia

I really hope that something rises from the ashes even if I have to pay a small annual subscription.
    My mate tried to redeem his serial number at Harvey Norman to get $100 of fetch tv, when he got there they actually requested his tivo unit.
    It said on the email from tivo to dispose of the unit responsibly so a bit odd they would like to throw away his old crap.

13. Rezin

Rezin Member

I didn't get the e-mail so not sure what was in that, but a few pages at mytivo.com.au say that you have to take it to HN (after registering for the $100 off coupon code) when picking up the Fetch.

https://myaccount.mytivo.com.au/tivoswapout

14. Sledge

Sledge Member

Didn't realise anyone actually used Tivo
    Back when it was coming out i looked around and didn't find anything to interest me, and promptly forgot about it...

15. OP
    OP
    bethalor

bethalor Member

Tivo swap with fetch

As stated in a previous post my mate wanted to swap his Tivo ar Harvey Norman.
    He didn't bring his unit so they didn't let him.
    After this he has tried to do the swap, the last time he tried was in mid April, and thay said early May.
    He is still waiting.
    Meanwhile my epg is only giving me 'till late Thursday evening despite a proper connection.
    Anyone else have this problem?

16. OP
    OP
    bethalor

bethalor Member

17. chook

chook Member

It might be a bit late but Belkin recently got into trouble with the ACCC for not honouring lifetime as actually being lifetime so people here may have some form of recourse.

18. OP
    OP
    bethalor

bethalor Member

Not sure if there is a company to go after anymore

19. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Did a Tivo come with lifetime warranty?

20. OP
    OP
    bethalor

bethalor Member