To all the TPG haters, we have better netflix

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by lawrencep93, May 12, 2015.

1. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/australia

To everyone who complains about TPG, says they have a bad network, slow speeds, and so on.

This ISP is the fastest when it comes to accessing netflix!

I think it is because everyone else gets sucked into horrible peak hour congestion due to lack of investment.

But since TPG bought PIPE networks they put a tonne of capacity in all their POI's to offer unlimited internet, I can constantly run my max ADSL speeds 24/7 with out a slow down even during peak.
    Less can be said about my Telstra Fibre at my other house!

2. power

power Member

heh, I expected TPG to do well but not first place on the Netflix speed index.

Surprised to see the big T do so poorly too.

3. renagade

renagade Member

Last year, if I tried streaming anything over 720p, forget about it.
    This year I've been able to consistently stream 720p pretty much flawlessly.
    Note: This is not netflix but still - pretty happy with the results.

4. evilasdeath

evilasdeath Member

All that says is there is better performance in the backhaul between where netflix is and where the customers are.

Overall internet performance is not something you can pin on a graph with a metric from 1 provider.

All providers are experiencing congestion in some way shape or form.

What it comes down to is whether that congestion impacts the content you want to view, and if it does how loud do your scream and winge about it.

5. ipex

ipex Member

ppfff meh, i wish i had unlimited TPG , i am stuck on offnet so have 200gig download 100gig peak and 100gig offpeak

will be jumping ship from TPG soon , going to an ISP that offers unmetered netflix

6. garnet

garnet Member

I have unlimited TPG, but my speed is only at 170KB/s
    haven't been downloading anything. :D

7. millen

millen Member

In the same boat as you ipex, stuck with offnet & with same plan, Now that I have started streaming Foxtel GO and Netflix, it's just not enough data.

But no other companies seem to have anything priced any better.

Was just going to hold out and hoped they bumped up they're quotas like Telstra did not long ago...

8. power

power Member

Shame you are on offnet, what can I say.... move? :)

They do have bigger plans than that 200GB, extra $20 nets you another 100GB to play with. But yeah, living in an area that only gets offnet would be a bitch.

https://www.tpg.com.au/products_services/broadband-offnet

9. .Morphio

.Morphio Member

Wait until all of the iiNet group's capacity upgrades are complete. These results would presumably include the very beginning - when Netflix was first released and the group realised the traffic capacity issues were worse than anticipated. Once this is fix you'll see the iiNet group jump up to the top of this table easily I'd imagine.

10. ipex

ipex Member

when netflix came out and the other isp upped their limit , tpg were asked if they would do the same or make netflix unmetered , the reply was that "the majority of our customers are on unlimited, so we wont be changing our plans "

11. power

power Member

yeah why would they make a song and dance about it, fact is that other ISP's charge too much for too little.

$50/month nets me 500GB ADSL2+ with no uploads counted and has done so for years now.

Most ISP's count uploads because people don't really understand the concept - they just read XGG and go with that.

12. mitsimonsta

mitsimonsta Member

I have a mate in Melbourne on NBN fibre 100/40, and he is getting about 5Mbps download and 8Mbps upload @120ms ping during peak since Netflix launched.

Likely that TPG has severely underprovisioned CVC in those FSA's (or demand has grown so much they need to add much, much more).

You do however have the benefit that Netflix is peering via PipeIX which is TPG owned. There is no limit to the data in/out of TPG via PIPE, only your own peered connection.

13. KANNIS

KANNIS Member

Tpg is actually pretty good. Dont know why some dont like them.

14. FFC

FFC Member

I came here to post this link after all the butthurt in the IINET thread.

Enjoy paying for your "premium" service, neckbeards.

15. OP
    OP
    lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

Yeah TPG is building their on FTTB because it is cheaper for them to build and deliver FTTB and give people unlimited than it is for them to pay NBN overpriced CVC. The cost of CVC with NBN to give people unlimited 100/40 pretty much costs more than it would for TPG to provide people with 100/100 fiber in the CBD.

NBN pricing is a joke but they have to cover their over inflated costs because of inflating wages when hiring people, and needing about 20 people to get the same output as 1 person at TPG

16. Sphinx2000

Sphinx2000 Member

No problem here on iinet NBN, but it's a close race there.
    But's is all relative to your local backhaul hub congegstion rates, not the ISP as a whole.

Sorry to see Telstra so poorly..

17. power

power Member

they'd probably do awesomely on a Foxtel Go survey, lolol.

18. samus

samus Member

I must be one of the happiest TPG customers, it's been more than 5 years at my place, admittedly I get a shitty 8 meg sync most days, however I can leech all day long, and chew up several hundred gig a month and not really worry. It's stable, pings are crap but I don't care, and they leave me alone. for $40 a month, what's not to like?

19. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

Im the same as you, except I get pretty damn good pings. My only complaint is the shitty upload speed but that is no different from all the other suppliers so I can't really blame TPG too much.

20. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Wait.. so you can't separate Cable, ADSL and Fibre?

I do probably agree that TPG would do quite well in this area, but that doesn't change the fact that I don't understand how this is anything more then guessing.

100% of these ranking could simply be from copper lines. Telstra could be low on the list because they might service the majority of copper lines with lower sync speeds.

For all we know Primus is the winner but they might have low fibre uptake so their entire results might be based on copper.

It looks like netflix can tell the difference between connections, so why not separate the results :confused: