To convert to PC ... or not ? [SD]

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Dogo, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Dogo

Dogo Member

So.. I've been gaming on my Xbox 360 for many years now. I would say I mainly (but not only) play single player FPS and RPG games. I used to do a lot of team-based-FPS online gaming back in the day when I was gaming on PC (90s to mid 00s) but not since I went to console. I'd love to get into BF3.

My last PC was a Pentium 3, single core and I can't even remember the gfx card. I don't use it anymore, I use a macbook pro laptop for everyday use.

Recently I've found myself interested in getting back into PC gaming. I've re-educated myself on the latest hardware and spent a fair bit of time lurking in the 'what to buy' threads. I want to get something fairly decent. perhaps $1.5k ish but it may creep, since I have almost nothing to carry forward; my peripherals are getting old. ( my kbd doesnt even work anymore)

I hear a lot of bitching from PC gamers about the current quality and stability of gaming on a PC. It makes me wary of pulling the trigger on jumping back into PCs.
    Just want to fire up a discussion and see what people's opinions are about , given the current situation where many game devs seem to be leaning towards consoles as the primary platforms, whether its worth spending $$ to convert to be a PC gamer , or if I should give in and just stick with my console

Apart from the obvious case of better graphics and loading times from SSD, what do you see as the benefits of gaming on a PC ?
    Does the extra CPU grunt get you better AI, physics etc ?

Personally I've always found PCs to be more immersive than console, purely I suppose based on the proximity to the screen and the environment that I use them in. I have a dedicated study that I can set up to game without people walking through the room.
    I think I'd still keep the xbox in the lounge for some local MP gaming on the couch such as FIFA with my brother.

Thanks.
    Serious, unbiased discussion please.

2. Straferight

Straferight Member

I have a PC and a PS3 and to be honest I haven't turned my PS3 on in over a year. PC gaming is a lot more immersive for me and I can play with a lot more of my friends.

I also use a computer for everything else so why not put the money towards something you use a lot?

3. whatdoesthisdo

whatdoesthisdo Member

THIS, my ps3 died about 1 month after warranty (how good are they) and so I started getting back into PC gaming. I definitely wouldn't go back, my ps3 can sit in a box for all I care.

4. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

I have XBOX360, PS3, PS2, PS1, SNES, GBA, TurboGFX and my PC. I use my PC everyday.

The consoles only come out for the odd games that are console exclusive. In any case, i can watch TV, game and surf the web at the same time on my PC. If you're serious about gaming as a hobby, why restrict yourself to one physical medium?

5. NEMESIS-X

NEMESIS-X Member

Do it!

You wont regret it.

6. Dodoman

Dodoman Member

This, basically.

7. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Skyrim modding scene.

/thread.

8. CordlezToaster

CordlezToaster Member

better graphics.

/ end thread

9. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

oh yes, and SDKs / modding. games on pc are cheaper too

10. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

i bought a ps3 to play GT5 when it came out. got a few other exclusives as well but i honestly haven't turned it on in months.

Skyrim is consuming my existence right now. BF3 as a distraction sometimes.

11. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

I have only ever used a PC for gaming. I use it primarily for work and research, with occasional light gaming every 3 months or so. Purchasing a dedicated game machine is a waste of time for me. Oh, and there's this. :thumbup:

12. Troast

Troast Member

I think if you want to get into BF3, its simple because only PC lets you use a k/b and mouse and control the game properly. That sole reason alone would be enough for me.

13. .Radiant

.Radiant Member

this thing right here.

If you like gaming, get the platforms that have games that interest you. At one stage or another i've had all of this and last gen's consoles/handhelds. There is at least one exclusive on each console that interestes everyone IMO.

14. iinsom

iinsom Member

Thats if the developers release them (which the majority dont :()

The main drawback with pc gaming is the constant upgrade cycle. You buy hardware now, and 6 months down the track its old and outdated, which is a reason why console gaming is so popular. You just insert the disc and play, dont have to worry about drivers or anything to get a game working.

That being said, i mainly game on my pc, but i also own both a 360 and a ps3 (PS3 sits in my room for fifa when mates come over, 360 is in the loungeroom for my brother to play cod w/e)

Each has their pros + cons, but myself ill be sticking with pc =)

15. gnarlyrocks

gnarlyrocks Member

The advantages of PC are numerous. I will list the main ones
    - super cheap games
    - indie games
    - PC exclusives, consoles can have there Uncharted and Halo, I'll take Serious Sam 3 and all the awesome RTSs any day (still haven't played it yet ):)
    - multiscreen gaming, pure awesome
    - value for money, you use a PC probably everyday
    - Keyboard and Mouse (though that is subjective)
    - better graphics
    - better/bigger games, look at BF3 it was nerfed to the hilt to be playable on consoles
    - dedicated servers

Some disadvantages (that can occur sporadically)
    - horrible console ports
    - buggy on release games (which, in many cases is, directly related to the above)
    - you can't sit on a couch/bean bag and play

Edit:
    This hasn't been a issue for atleast 3 years (with BF3 being the possible exception). A 9800gt/4850 can run every game out fine (obviously not all on max settings0 that will easily give the same graphically quality as consoles

16. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

I've had my current motherboard, CPU (i7 920), and RAM (12 GB) for about two years. Had my GTX 295 for about a year and a half, only this week upgrading to a GTX 560 Ti. No need to upgrade every 6 months, from my point of view.

17. iinsom

iinsom Member

The 6 months was an arbitary number, apologies. But you know what i mean. I only upgraded my 295gtx in the past 12 months as well (to sli 460gtx, mainly for dx11)

But hopefully when developers start really pushing next gen hardware (lol i know) then we might see some more better quality pc games.

18. soulblade64

soulblade64 Member

My recommendation... Convert to PC, but keeping the Xbox. (as an owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, PC and soon to be a Wii owner again because of Skyward Sword)

Here's why:
    • PC games are cheaper, hands down
    • Consoles have some really nice exclusive games, to ignore your console would be to ignore gaming
    • Some console games run like shit on PC because they're poorly optimised ports... these are usually best played hassle free on the console
    • Well made PC games/PC exclusives are definitly best enjoyed on PC, but as above be wary of bad ports.
    • Occasionally PC digital retailers will have glitches and you'll pick up games at epic cheap prices, like EA games last week had a 100% off sale on 10 games due to a bad glitch in their system.

19. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

The EA glitch was a 1000% discount for games :lol:

20. Sharpe

Sharpe Member

I enjoy gaming on my PC, ps3, 360, iphone, ipad...

I'd say for me, the ps3 and PC are essential for gaming for me.

Serious gamers should have a decent enough PC to run new games, plus at least one 'current gen' (and soo nnext gen) console.