To convert to PC ... or not ? [SD]

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by Dogo, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Dodoman

Dodoman Member

If you upgrade your graphics setup from 2x4870s to a single 560Ti, you'll be set for quite a while.

2. Clippit

Clippit Member

Serious, unbiased discussion, haha. ok. Interesting questions.

Firstly I'd shy away from dropping thousands on a computer just to play one game. That's lining yourself up for some serious disappointment. After all, online shooters haven't changed that much over the years. Get something decent for sure, but don't put one game on a pedestal and throw money at it. No, better hardware doesn't get you anything other than better graphics, and graphics are highly overrated. Physics and AI in games can only ever be as interesting as the programmers make them. That takes time, time is limited, so graphics come first.

Basically, if you chase the latest and greatest stuff, then you might as well stick to the console - you'll have a much cheaper and easier time of it. If do it with the PC, you'll just become one of these angry people who blow all their pay on parts, squint at pixels, and miss the forest for the trees.

The console gaming experience is very different from the PC one. It's not just the hardware, it's the games that are released for it. Consoles are very mass-market - which is fine; I thoroughly enjoyed the Uncharted games - however there are whole genres that don't even get a look-in on the consoles. You just don't get anything like the range you can find on a PC. Also, multiplayer on a PC absolutely murders anything on a console, so there's another reason.

What I see in PC gaming is depth and complexity. Sometimes that's great, other times it's a pain. The key is not to try too hard at it. There are a lot of interesting little niches you can fall into (for months at a time) without constantly upgrading your hardware.

There's lots going on in the PC 'scene' that doesn't require the very latest hardware however - the whole 'indie' games thing would have sprung up since you went to the xbox. There's also a very cheap or even free games on the PC due to the growth of Steam and other digital distribution services. Years of great titles to catch up on - BF3 is really the tip of the iceberg.

And now i have to get dressed so i can go to work :)

3. OP
    OP
    Dogo

Dogo Member

Oh definitely I agree with that. I'm skipped enough games over the years due to time constraints to know it doesn't matter if you don't get to play something.

That's kind of disappointing. It sounds like they could really do with some form of Graceful Degradation, where the quality increases in relation to the capability of the computer running it ( be it console or a low vs high spec PC )

This is the tactic I was considering. Maybe not 'best' , but a reasonably high end kit.

4. Pinkeh

Pinkeh Member

Most people here use their gaming rigs to surf OCAU. Value for money right there.

5. gmeup

gmeup Member

Thats the best part for me, i love upgrading more so than gaming..lol

6. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

I'm upgrading my GTX 295 to a single 560 Ti (MSI Twin Frozr II 2GB OC), and I'm amazed by the fact that from all the benchmarks I'm seeing it will equal and even outperform the GTX 295 with less power and only one GPU (though slightly more VRAM).

In my opinion you can game comfortably with hardware which is well behind the cutting edge. I think people need to realize that resolutions like 2560 x 1600 are really for enthusiasts with plenty of cash to drop.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  7. Unframed

Unframed Member

Up until about 6 months ago I was running 1280x1024 happily.

8. Fortigurn

Fortigurn Member

That's what I ran before my GTX 295. I'm very happy with 1600 x 1200.

9. OP
    OP
    Dogo

Dogo Member

Just wanted to say thanks for the advice.
    I decided to go with it and the parts for my PC arrived yesterday :D

10. Unframed

Unframed Member

Congrats and best of luck.

11. gmeup

gmeup Member

Nice work is it a new pc ?

12. OP
    OP
    Dogo

Dogo Member

Yup - everything is new apart from the 24" LCD and a hand-me-down Logitech G15 keyboard

I bought myself many years to come of happy gaming with :

i5 2500K
    Asrock Extreme4 gen3
    Gigabyte GTX580 SOC
    Corsair 2x4gb DDR3 memory
    Corair 128gb SSD
    Silverstone Plus 750w PSU
    Fractal Design Define R3 USB3 case
    LG BD/DVD drive
    Logitech G500 mouse
    2x Noctua 140mm fans

13. gnarlyrocks

gnarlyrocks Member

Nice build!! The SSD should give you lightning fast start up times and programs should open all but instantly. Great choice with the PSU and case, Silverstone do great quality PSUs and the R3 is sexy as!!!

All in all I'm sure you'll love your build. Make sure you install Steam and buy a shit ton of games over the Christmas sale. $50 should get you at least 10 games (should really give you double that) and keep you going for a while!! Enjoy your PC