To Fake or Not to Fake?

Discussion in 'The Gallery' started by MR-X, May 23, 2009.

?

Is this an edited fake image?

1. Yes, it's a fake, just like Milli Vanilli!

58 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. No, it's real, as real as Evolution!

58 vote(s)
    45.0%
  3. I dunno, I can't really tell either way!

13 vote(s)
    10.1%
  1. MR-X

MR-X Member

That is the question...

Who can tell me if this shot has been faked or not and if so how and where?

I'd offer a prize like, my vote in this months POTM comp, but I doubt that would go down favourably with the judges.

So Fake or Not Fake.

Ollie :)

[​IMG]

2. manic311

manic311 (Banned or Deleted)

Doesn't look fake to me, more like "HDR" rape.

3. Nigell

Nigell Member

See now here is a reason I don't like HDR images, or at least HDR that is all about maximum rather than selective enhancement to improve the image.

4. Fred

Fred Member

No, but the flash and low shutter makes it look quite surreal.

5. snapshot

snapshot Member

I dunno, but the drop shadow effect on many of the birds make it look fake to me. Could be explained as motion blur, except the shadow is in front of the birds, not behind. Also, the gradient effect of the sky is too even to look natural.

The tree, on the other hand, is well captured :)

6. crix75

crix75 Member

I voted real, but now I'm not sure...

7. scon

scon Member

Did you shake the tree just before this shot, or do something to scare the birds into flight?

Edit: and sorry to be a pedant, but shouldn't the title be "Too Fake or Not Too Fake?"

8. HANKFISTA

HANKFISTA Member

the trees look fake to me but im no photographer

9. GOATMAN!!!

GOATMAN!!! Member

Looks like a flash at the start of a long exposure.

To expand:

The flash fills the trees, and the bright, sharp parts of the bird, and then the long exposure afterward gets the sky, and the black trails of the undersides of the birds which would be shadow when not lit by the flash.

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  10. th3_hawk

th3_hawk Member

The tree doesn't look blurred at all... if all those birds were on that tree wouldn't it have moved as they took off??

11. redav

redav Member

Probably not. Exposure could be long enough to capture the movement of the faster moving wings and the flash illuminating the scene long enough to capture the slower moving tree as static.

I was going to say no but I might go out on a limb (excuse the pun :D ) and try saying a multiple exposure with multiple flashes. However, if it were the case then I probably would expect movement of the tree unless it was controlled with Photoshop or similar.

12. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Not fake imo, you can see the birds closer to the flash are lighter. The dark shadows aren't shadows, its the silhouette of the birds due to the exposure being longer than the flash output. So when the birds weren't illuminated in flash, they were a black colour, and the blur is the movement of them.

You could probably make that effect with a LOT of PP, but it could've very easily been captured with a camera legit.

13. michael_

michael_ Member

since when do are they parrots? flap their wings that fast and hover like that, if it where a long exposure and the flash froze at 1st curtain then there would be some trail of the birds moving around, i think some of it is fake

14. Frozen_Hell

Frozen_Hell Member

Its not as slow an exposure as you're thinking though. Flash has gone off as the shot started, and if you look at all of the dark silhouette blur around it, that is the movement after the flash. Its probably like 1/60s or 1/30s or something, so not super slow, but slow enough that with a flash of like 1/125 its created that effect. The tree doesn't have the blur as its a lot closer to the flash than the birds.

The blur appears to be "behind" the birds in some of the shots as the speed of the wings is faster than the forward movement, so its blurred behind the bird as that's where the wings were moving at that point, whereas you'll also notice some of those birds that have the behind blur, also have a small amount of blur in front of them around their heads.

BTW, they are Galahs, not Parrots :p

15. bubblegoose

bubblegoose Member

its obviously real, I had about 50 of those sons of bitches wake me up this morning all perched in the tree outside my window AARGGHH. Flash (possibly diffused) accompanied by a longer exposure would give this effect. and I cant see the HDR'esc attributes others are talking about, I think the colours look very true and within reason.

16. Andres

Andres Motor Admin

I'm gonna say fake.

Guessing multiple exposures, stacked, as to make it look like a lot more birds.

(Prob completley wrong though)

17. norbs

norbs Member

Thanks. Only a galah would say they are parrots. :)

18. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

galahs are a member of the parrot family, so you're both right.

i call fake, but i'm probably wrong. To me it just looks like there were never any birds in that tree. Flash + long exposure or not, you'd still get some indication of a bird in a tree rather than them all looking so separated.
    also the tree looks kinda like an indoor plant :p

19. OP
    OP
    MR-X

MR-X Member

I gotta say it has so far been interesting to see what people have said. Especially a few of the long termers.

Ok so the truth about the shot.

It's real. The only tweaking I did was in lightroom, and I think I bumped the contrast like 5 points up and maybe made it ever so slightly brighter. Otherwise it is more or less straight out of the camera. The adjustments are minor.

Here is the EXIF data for it.

There were heaps of them in the tree and I was taking shots with my 28-70 2.8g Nikon lens. I didn't have the Sigma Bigma, so I couldn't get that close either. It was at the local shopping centre carpark and it was spare of the moment stuff.
    I was pretty surprised by the motion blur and the almost drop shadow affect that I managed to get.
    In fact here is a second shot I took, taken just before they all flew off.

[​IMG]
    You can notice straight away that the bird with wings spread out in mid hover, has a drop shadow effect. In fact it looks to me like I have placed the bird there. In a way I keep looking at the shot thinking to myself, that looks like a stuffed bird hanging on a string next to a blue painted wall, especially with that shadow. How I managed to create that shadow affect is beyond me, but its interesting none the less.

So, yes all real, no long exposures or multiple exposures, or multiple flashes either. No HDR work done either. Oh and onboard flash. I didn't have my SB600 with me at the time.

Thanks for all the responses. I am sure there would have been more and the debate could have gone on for a while. But I am not usually one to sit back for too long and let things boil away.

Ollie :)

20. Iceman

Iceman Member

At a guess I'd have to say that the particular shade and diffraction of light you get through storm clouds contributed to the surreal colour balance and shadows. That's possibly what made it look so.. unnatural.