To get a flash or get a really flash, that is the question.

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by MotoJohnno, Oct 15, 2009.

1. MotoJohnno

MotoJohnno Member

Recently I got around to trying my hand at portraiture. However I didn't try very long as I got frustrated with trying to manipulate the only decent light stands I could find. After reading Lighting 101 on from the strobist I came to the conclusion that I need a flash.

My question is which one on ebay do I get? I'm not sure what quality/usefulness they would be, hoping that someone has bought similar and can shed some light. If I had to choose right now I'd get the YN460 for $50

Of course I'm secretly hoping everyone will just say pffft don't go ebay get a 580EX II.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  2. Kevlarman

Kevlarman Member

Get a 580EX II!!!

3. Power47

Power47 Member

what he said, seriously, do it. a few months ago i cbf with flashes, then i used one, now i have 2 of them with pocket wizards :) :thumbup:

4. Mred32

Mred32 Old and Decrepit

If you are into setting up your shots studio style, and waiting until the light is just right, setting your props and models (subjects), then get into multiple flash (light) photography.
    If you take the sort of shots where you need to be mobile and often chase your subjects around an arena, event, gig, show or other place where carrying several stands and lights is not an option, then go buy a single decent flash and be done with it!

Mred32

5. computer newbie

computer newbie (Banned or Deleted)

Yes, get a 580EX 11, that was my first flash and i really love it. And you will to.

6. OP
    OP
    MotoJohnno

MotoJohnno Member

Good :p I'll start ringing around for prices on a 580EX II. Any suggestions on a seller?

7. bbcw1980

bbcw1980 Member

Get a few SB 26 sb28 and use tigger if u want to save money.

8. NismoR31

NismoR31 Member

i have no regrets buying my 580EX II. love it

9. BigandY

BigandY Member

Get a YN460, they're all the rage.

10. Joehax

Joehax Member

I picked up a Nissin Di622 off eBay for $149 delivered.

Great flash, and good price.

Plenty of reviews on the net, so check it out.

Don't write it off just because it isn't the most expensive OEM flash you can buy.

11. jesh

jesh Member

A 580 is great because you can just pop it on your camera and leave it on auto in situations where you don't have time to muck around with it.

If you're only going to be using it off camera then go for something cheaper. I actually use my SBs more than my 580s...and cheaper to replace if they ever take a dive off my lighting stands! (Hasn't happened yet but I figure it's only a matter of time :p)

The SB26 has an optical slave built in which is just the bee's knees! :thumbup:

12. Zee

Zee Member

I was going to get a Nissin until I found a 580EX for $220 2nd hand in the US. Couldn't be happier. May still get one as a slave...

Z...

13. ^catalyst

^catalyst Member

580EX is probably a good start, I or II. This way you'll have reasonable auto; then later on once you've got the hang of it you can try out some cheaper manual flashes.

14. BigandY

BigandY Member

Does the 580EX offer a better auto mode over the 430EXII?

15. OP
    OP
    MotoJohnno

MotoJohnno Member

lol and I just finished convincing myself that a Di622 is fine for now, then I see another few posts saying 580EX!!

The cheapest I can find the 580EX II is on ebay, any other places I should look?

16. plasticbastard

plasticbastard Member

580 EX and 580 EX II are basically the same flash bar two/three cosmetic and functional differences.

580 EX II has PC Sync port which the 580 EX doesn't have

580EX II has a different locking mechanism to attach it to the hotshoe, which incidentally on weather sealed bodies makes the mount weather sealed.

Some minor changes to the Custom Functions if I recall correctly too.

If you're not worried about what you want, I have a 580EX for sale in the Photography Marketplace subforum (not hotlinking the thread as I think it's against the rules - feel free to edit this post if mentioning a sales is out of the rules too).

17. computer newbie

I would imagine so. but having never used 430EX11 befor and only really using my 580EX11 in full manual mode i cant really comment. best thing to do would be to read some reviews and well have a look around:).

18. nakey

nakey Member

If it's your first flash, i'd always make the recomendation to get as best an onboard flash as you can get. there's always ways to trigger any flash off camera. On camera TTL flash can be invaulable as well, and a flash that does double duty as both a good off-camera and on-hotshoe flash can

another 580EXII recommendation.

19. computer newbie

:thumbup:.The only way to go. well, they can be expensive to get, but you can get some good second hand ones for cheap. I payed 600 and something for mine. but it was worth it. I hardly ever use it in AUTO Mode. im all ways either in MUITI or Full Manuel mode.

20. OP
    OP
    MotoJohnno

MotoJohnno Member

Ok so mind is made I'm getting a 580 EX II, should ebay be safe enough? Whats the go with warranties and stock from china?