To get a flash or get a really flash, that is the question.

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by MotoJohnno, Oct 15, 2009.

1. computer newbie

computer newbie (Banned or Deleted)

Dunno about China. some one i know bought some flash triggers of an ebay store there and it was coming from Hong Kong. cant remember the name of the store sorry:(.

When i bought my flash i got it off Digital camera warehouse. but also look at dirt cheap cameras. iv bought of those two before.

2. Joehax

Joehax Member

Ebay is safe enough as long as you buy from a decent seller.

Not sure on warranty though :S

3. Jackolow

Jackolow Member

If you're only doing studio or basically anything except 'photo journalism'.. I would actually go for the YN460s and get some cheap triggers for the time being. Probably at least 2 straight off and maybe 3.

I have a 500DG super and its great (actually its dying at the moment so ETTL seems out. But its like 4 years old and its been beaten around so maybe its just its time to go) and I think that is better to learn how to meter flash and use manual all the way. It seems like manual is a much better way to go.. to set up your exposure, then set up your flash. Its very clumsy (thus why ETTL is the way to go for photo journalism) however its worth it.

If you're going to set up shots as a newbie, 1 good flash isn't going to replace 2 wireless flashes. The YNs are pretty consistent in their output.

It depends which route you want to go.. but spending about $200 on a small wireless flash kit is going to give you a lot more creative freedom for the short term. Saying that, if you're going to take photos of parties and out and about, a proper ETTL flash is the only way to go.

4. sooti

sooti Member

I have 3 flashes, thinking of a 4th.

Heres my opinion...

You need atleast 1 good native flash.

Get the 580 Ex II. Use it as your run and gun with the Canon Lighting System. Then when youre ready, get a cheap Flashpro/Boling 300-320ws monoblock with battery. Theyre bloody brilliant and an awesome bargain for $700-800. Then consider some decent triggers. The best bargain for triggers now is the YN 2.4s.

Thats 2 flashes, for the 3rd flash, i recommend the RF36 for backgrounds because you can get them with super awesome gel filters for dirt cheap (under $150).

I reckon 3 flashes is a good number. One key, one highlight and one for background.

5. OP
    OP
    MotoJohnno

MotoJohnno Member

Thanks for the replies, but I ended up buying a 580EX II. Then the next day I found 2 580EX's for $100 at a garage sale. One of them takes a little longer to charge but they both work. Now I just need to learn how to use them.

6. BigandY

BigandY Member

and a 70-200 2/8
    and a manfrotto
    and a niftyfifty

god I hate you so much

7. OP
    OP
    MotoJohnno

MotoJohnno Member

She still has a 20mm 2.8 USM for $300 but I didn't have the money. Is that worth it? If so I'll probably borrow from Dad.