To partition or not partition 1TB disk

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by bmar560, Aug 19, 2008.

1. bmar560

bmar560 Member

Ok I just got my 1TB seagate HDD.

Should I partition it ? Might be a stupid question but does partioning a drive reduce its performance ?

Does most people here with the 1TB disk partition theirs ?

Cheers,
    MB

2. Smoke87

Smoke87 Member

I think on a 1TB drive it may, because they use 3x 335gb platters

3. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Will you be transferring a lot of large files around between partitions?

If not then partition as you personally like. It's just an individual choice a lot of the time. I prefer it, others don't.

4. pksw

pksw Member

Personally I don't bother partitioning drives. I guess it depends on what you are using the drive for - if it's all for media (movies, MP3s etc) I don't see the point. However, if it contains your operating system, many people prefer having a small partition with all the OS, program files etc and a second partition for data. That way backing up the OS is a lot easier, and re-installing the OS is also easier.

It's completely up to you, there isn't much in the way of any performance benefit/reduction either way.

5. Nick the Knife

Nick the Knife Member

Agree totally....

Especially if you're using an imaging program eg Acronis TI etc to backup your OS partition.

Also helps keep your data files from getting fragmented if you keep all the OS stuff in its own little area.

Agree as well that if its just a big storage drive like for data then one giant partition is best.

I used to go WAY overboard and have partitions for this and that etc - really stupid in retrospect.

Just make sure you use a dedicated partitioning program - as XP's one is sooooooooo slow - and NEVER, EVER resize or move a partition in XP - always do it via a boot application!

6. OP
    OP
    bmar560

bmar560 Member

I've decided to keep it as 1 big chunk.
    never seen so many gigabytes in my life :D

7. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

these days, we have things caled 'folders' fo this kind of shit :)

never partition unless its to lock out a section of drive to reduce seek times :)

ppl who partition a drive for OS/APPS/GAMES all seperate are stupid, theyre causing massive slow downs ^^

8. Pugs

Pugs Member

yep folders ftw........

9. m0po

m0po Member

i havent partitioned since windows 98! i used to have 2 partitions, 1 for os and the other for data... then i realized it was getting a tad slow, so i bought a second drive and put my data on that.

then i made a server about 2 years ago, fixed my woes entirely! seperate entity, doesnt chew up your cpu cycles :p

10. renagade

renagade Member

folders
    I will never partition again.
    ew

11. Shinanigans

Shinanigans Member

I'm probably misunderstanding what you're saying, but aren't you saying that partitions reduce seek times, but then saying having separate OS/APPS/GAMES partitions causes slow downs? Or are you referring to transfer speed, not so much seek times?

Cheers :)

12. Nick the Knife

Nick the Knife Member

So how does simply using folders impact assuming you're not using any form of RAID and your XP installation is fatally corrupted in one way or another?

That is to say - how effectively do you back your entire installation up?

And...

a) restore your installation with a minimum of hassle & downtime?

b) recover your data files, without having to run recovery programs etc to access them for removal onto another drive?

As I can understand this approach if you're using RAID or simply cloning HDDs - but if you don't want to pissfart around with that or just don't want the extra hassle/expense, I'm unclear on how you maintain manageable backups & recovery.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Why? Because of the interactivity between partitions? And it's literally "massive" slowdowns???

14. Nick the Knife

Nick the Knife Member

Excellent point- as maybe I'm just 'stupid' but to me this'd imply something that I'd definitely notice and would be atleast a few seconds more - and I seriously doubt this is the case - but welcome the 'non-stupid' posters clarification.

15. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

yorue increasing the latency by maybe 2-5ms per file required, due to the physical distance between the main os files trying to be uloaded and say a game trying to load at the same time.

i guess you guys have never used a raptor or fas disk beore and dontknow the joys offast seek times :)

16. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

No, not correct, I've been using them for quite some time now.

IMO I don't think there are "massive" gains to be had.

PS: terrastrife, have you been drinking? Your messages this afternoon are all over the place...

17. Vampire

Vampire Member

Gains? Yes. Massive? No.

18. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

i fail at getting used to my new keybaord...and no sleep :D

gains yes, better than no gain,s yes. worthit? of course. if you even have consideration for a raptor you do not consider center/gb a problem.

ppl who have to think about the cost difference will not be happy with the small but clearly there gains.

19. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Yep, relatively small gains I can understand, massive gains, nope.

I am considering a larger raptor and putting games, apps, and OS all on the one partition.

20. mixsetup

mixsetup Member

I have always used patitions just to keep things in order a little. C partition is for software, D for wife and kids,E for games and F for all my junk. It's just easy I find and if I have to re format C everything else is still the same.
    If I had more drives I wouldn't bother though.