1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

To PoE or not to PoE (NAS + PoE Cams vs Arlo etc)

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by walker_2003, Jul 14, 2020.

1. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Sorry if wrong forum.. wasnt sure..

So I have a decent NAS, a Synology 3018xs.. I want some video surveillance.. So I was thinking some PoE cameras and to use with Synology Surveillance Station..

My concern is 2 things:

- Constant disk writing and longevity issues with my WD Red's
    - NAS CPU usage and possibly effecting the NAS ability to stream Plex (sometimes to 2 devices at once)

Can anyone shed any light? Also any PoE camera suggestions (outdoor/nightvision/weather proof)

The alternative I was thinking of getting something like:

https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/eufy-wire-free-hd-security-cam-with-home-base-kit-4-cameras

A third and tempting option is Eufy Wi-Fi cameras + NAS storage if I can get it to work: http://community.anker.com/t/how-to...-to-stream-video-to-your-compatible-nas/64833

Seems tricky though

Cheers!

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  2. Renza

Renza Member

hikvision are pretty good for PoE cameras from my experience, as good as Axis but way cheaper

wireless ones will be a pain when you have to keep charging them. the constant writing will depend on your motion settings obviously.

walker_2003 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Ah true could have motion activated recording. I'll look into the hikvision

4. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

If you can get cable to where you want them, go wired.

I well and truly drank the Ubiquiti kool-aid and now have a Cloud Key G2+ with 5 x G3 Bullet (older 24v versions, got em second hand cheap), a G3-AF and a G3-Flex. The newer Protect software is missing a heap of features from the older Video one, but TBH I haven't noticed what I don't have. It reminds me a lot of when I moved from Windows Mobile 6 to iOS, got sick of screwing around with custom firmwares for features I never really needed, to iOS with "oh well I can't do that, how badly do I need it?"... if that makes sense?

I ditched my old Hikvision over security concerns and issues with old old chinese hardware and english firmware mismatches. Not sure if it's still an issue. They do have a huge range of cameras with varying features and lenses etc.

Pugs and walker_2003 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

6. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Yeah, not sure I would have gotten as many if I didn't pick up the second hand 5-pack.

I didn't care about the Chinese viewing cameras, but had heard stories of the older NVR's having backdoors into networks, and it was about due for replacement anyway (shitty 2mp and 3mp cameras).

walker_2003 likes this.
  7. Pugs

Pugs Member

going to be dropping money on UBNT cams and UDM pro selling off my Hik Kit in the new year.. also with nfc card readers and other security stuff coming down the pipe to integrate it all on the UDM pro...

walker_2003 likes this.
  8. McRutch

McRutch Member

I prefer to stay cheap and use dahua...

I keep them on their own ip range/subnet to avoid backdoor vulnerabilities :Paranoid:

walker_2003 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

10. koopz

koopz Member

You will change core systems over time the same as pov gamers upgrage their gaming rigs.

Money goes on decent cams (wired) - the back end you will later justify when asked based upon your budget at the time.

If you aren't using Cloud video storage yet you soon will.

Pugs likes this.
  11. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Well I have a RAID 5 synology, that will do my video storage, perhaps ill cloud backup provided I can cap the upload speeds.

Any cameras you reccomend that work well with surveillance station? the Reolink seem fine, any features they missing? I guess motorised would be nice.

12. g@z

g@z Member

walker_2003 likes this.
  13. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

You can - the Cloud Sync app allows you to throttle uploads.

walker_2003 likes this.
  14. koopz

koopz Member

what? No.

I am going to use your comments here as a talking point at my next Toolbox meeting.

After which - my team members are also most welcome to discuss my recent OCAU and other "private" industry comments on private industry forums. It's just theatre. Let's focus - and get back to IT.

Truth be known - I'm still trying to fix the fan on my GTX 680. My Staff are unable to assist. Someone please help me!

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  15. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Try again, but in english. I mean, the words are english but they make no sense.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  16. koopz

koopz Member

you're right - wrong website to ask for this kind of thing.

17. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

I'm still confused haha

18. millsy

millsy Member

Just bear in mind eufy isn't real time recording.

I've got eufy's at mine, like them, but only work if triggered (that's how they get that battery life :) )
    I've got the ones that advertise 365 days, I'm about 8 months in and looking like they'll last 10, pretty impressed given how often it's triggered

walker_2003 likes this.
  19. OP
    OP
    walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

Yeah I decided I'll go PoE cameras but set to only record on movement so NAS isn't always under load. Just deciding on cameras now, is so many!

20. Pugs

Pugs Member

arlos are ok.. but you need to remember they are either battery powered or mains powered... so you will be getting up on a ladder or needing to have power run to that location... so the end of the day POE is a far better way to have cameras powered and connected to the network with one cable

walker_2003 likes this.