To those that ask for help..

Discussion in 'Other Operating Systems' started by Iroquois, May 22, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Iroquois

Iroquois Member

Hello,

Please, read this whole post. It will help you get much closer to having your problems fixed.

Many of us here in these forums, of different levels of knowledge, want to help people with problems. I am sure many of us are here solely for that reason. In fact, a good problem which challenges people is a godsend to those who love tackling them. I know that I enjoy having my knowedge tested, and hence improved, and helping someone along the way as well, if I can, is a great addition.

However, a few things, although they may seem irrelevant and trivial, will "Help us, Help you". (chuckle), sorry for the Tom Cruise reference, but it's true.

I am sure these short guidelines will translate to the other sections of this site, too.

• Read the Have a question? Follow these steps thread. I know it's quite large! :), but at least try to get a feeling for it. i.e, just read the first post in that thread if you're overwhelmed. Follow what that suggests to do first. Please. :) You only need to read this once, hopefully..
    • Tell us about your system. Include distro name, distro version, kernel version, dog's name, etc..
    • If you can, tell us the type/name/model of the hardware that you're having problems with, and possibly any associated ones that you may not immediately think are relevant to mention. They could be - and in some cases definitely are - important.
    • Describe what you're trying to do, what you're seeing when it goes wrong, what you've tried to do to fix it, what you think may also be the problem, what you need help with, etc..
    • When someone suggests a solution, reply to let us know if this recommended solution either did or didn't work. This helps us narrow down the problem even further as well, along with it being courteous!
    • And when it comes to Linux/BSD, error messages are a good thing. Most of the time they point directly to where the problem lies, so post them in all their glory - even if they mean nothing to you they usually mean something to us.

So, If it's an Internet-based problem, for example, tell us how you access the Internet as well as the above guidelines. Mention if it's Dial-up, ADSL, Cable, NASA back-door, etc. Tell us what your interface is to the Internet, if it's Serial, USB, Ethernet, wireless, etc..

Follow these guidelines and peace will prevail.

Nobody can e-mail a doctor and say "my foot just doesn't feel quite right" and expect immediate and founded advice. Imagine what the doctor would respond with in this situation!

It's hard to offer technical solutions over text when there's very little to judge a solution on.

I hope nobody sees people who want to help as rude, within reason of course. We are simply just not psychic, and it's sometimes hard for us to fill in the gaps in the question. If you help us, we'll help you!

Again, everyone wins! :)

edited with your additions, Bern, Pinger, cheers...

Last edited: Jun 19, 2003
  2. Bern

Bern Mind the gap!

And when it comes to linux/bsd, error messages are a good thing, most of the time they point directly to where the proplem lies so post them in all their glory - even if they mean nothing to you they usually mean something to us.

This deserves a sticky methinks.

3. Pinger

Pinger Member

Can you also add a part in regards to replying to say that whatever recommended solutions either did or didn't work.

I agree with Iroquois, when it comes to the helping you may teach me something but it gets pretty annoying when you post a proposed solution or extended question and get no reply in return.

Even if you post back saying "Arrggh I give up" it would still be better than nothing.

4. OP
    OP
    Iroquois

Iroquois Member

Thanks for the additions, guys. I've edited the original... :)

5. stmok

stmok Member

6. Mr_Smiley

Mr_Smiley Member

That guide is really helpful, i am currently going through it right now. I would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn linux.