Toad in the Hole

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by spankyofoz, Jul 16, 2009.

1. spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

With the weather being cold, wet and miserable, it's time to bust out some hearty comfort food.

So tonight we delve into English cuisine!

Toad in the hole is simply a dish of cooked sausages in a light batter, similar to Yorkshire pudding.

Here is the recipie I followed: Toad in the Hole Recipe - The Foody . The important things are to whisk the batter well, getting lots of air in it will make it lighter and more fluffy, plus will help it to rise. Also preheating your baking dish so it is literally smoking hot will help seal the crust, you definitely don't want this dish to be soggy.

I used a cake tin to cook in, one of the ones that come apart easily so there's no chance of it sticking in the pan. If you oil the pan well and have it ultra hot when you add the batter this should not be a concern.

Here is what it looks like fresh out of the oven, all golden brown with a lovely crispy crust

[​IMG]
    Just loook at the steam coming off that!
    Here is the inside once cut open. i used nice thick pork sausages, cut into quarters

[​IMG]

I served this with some nice brown onion gravy, adding a healthy amound of Worchestershire sauce and seeded mustard

[​IMG]

I got lazy, but adding some vegies would be great. Being English some fresh steamed peas and carrot would be the go, maybe with some potato, leek or parsnip on the side.

So what sort of comfort food are you cooking this winter?

2. mrs dan77

mrs dan77 Member

This reminds me of my mum! As a kid, I used to hate Toad in the Hole, it was always so bland. Homemade sauce was the go!
    I'd probably like it now, if it was served with a gravy like good Yorkshire pudding should be. And the pork sausages would give a nice flavour.

As for winter comfort food: boiled cabbage. Mmmm... :weirdo: (Dearest Hubby is Eastern European.)

3. OP
    OP
    spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

Anybody?
    Bueller?

4. Kindros

Kindros Member

I did my Pea & Ham soup this week...Deeee-Lisc!

5. Ding.Chavez

Ding.Chavez Member

do you think this would be totally gross with Beef sausages? I have some spare from a BBQ this weekend...

6. OP
    OP
    spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

It should work just fine. As long as they're not the cheap horrible budget ones that are as oily as buggery. Just make sure you drain them well.

7. yoda123

yoda123 Member

8. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I was thinking 'frog in a pond' honestly. I was trying to imagine how creative one could get with jelly and a chocolate frog. Learned something new at least.

9. Subcommandante

Subcommandante Member

mate that is eggy in the basket.

10. Oosh

Oosh Member

11. petercr

petercr Member

Toad in the Hole batter is exactly the same as Yorkshire Pudding batter.

Traditionally Yorkshire Pudding was made in a large flat pan and served as a starter to the main meal. The person who ate the most 'pud was allowed to have the largest and choicest serving of meat.

A good Yorkshire Pudding or Toad' shouldn't really have a thick cakey consistency - it should be flufft, light and airy inside after cooking.

Thanks to the memories of my mum doing this with Sunday Roasts (mum was from North Yorkshire so she knew what she was doing)...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Traditional.Sunday.Roast-01.jpg

mmmmm... yummo

EDIT: as to nice winter food - slow-cooked pea & ham soup (or as my kids call it Pigbone Soup)

1x 1kg+ pigbone (trotter / knuckle / bony bit of pig with lots of meat)
    1x 500g pack green split peas (splippies as the kids call them)
    1x litre of chicken stock
    1x litre of water
    (chopped carrots and onions optional)

rinse the split peas to get rid of any extraneous material and place in slow cooker.
    add pigbone
    add chicken stock and water
    (add optional vegies)
    cover and leave on low for 6-8hrs
    <later on>
    remove pigbone & skim any scum off the surface
    using a stick blender puree up the now well cooked pea mixture, should go from being fairly runny to a thicker consistency
    chop meat off pigbone -some fine and some coarse and return to slow cooker for a bit and then serve with fresh (hot) crusty bread.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2009
  12. slobber

slobber Member

^ Nice, I remember when the butcher used to give/throw away pigs trotters :thumbup:

Now they charge an arm and a leg.............. and errrrr a trotter :D

Oh and I too remember Yorkshire puds that were as light as air............damn I'm hungry now

13. zoidbergmerc

zoidbergmerc Member

My Toad in the Hole is the same as this but I wrap my Sausages in Bacon.

14. plainfaced

plainfaced (Banned or Deleted)

I made this tonight.. Thanks.
    I used another recipe found on the net though..

Hmm.. Was better than I expected.. A little less battery than the OPs..

15. petercr

petercr Member

mmmm... bacon... Toad in the Hole (on horseback)

16. GooSE

GooSE New Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_in_the_basket

In some places it is known as "toad in the hole", not to be confused with the British sausage dish of the same name.

Amazing.

17. OP
    OP
    spankyofoz

spankyofoz Member

I've recently moved back into a sharehouse, the ex-wife got most of the kitchen stuff. So all i had to work with was a cake tin, which might explain why it ended up looking like a cake :)

A shallow baking dish is one of the many things on my list. I've since learnt that the snags should be above the surface of the batter, so they too crisp up.

18. Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

I have to agree that the Yorkshire Pudding should be light and airy.

My mam and dad's family were also given a large Yorkshire Pudding to start with. This was to help fill them up so that there was enough to go around. My parents also ate them cold with jam, I prefer to eat them on their own, hot or cold.

My kids all love Yorkshire, although they've never liked Toad In The Hole, strange boys that they are. They much prefer me to make bangers and mash with gravy and the Yorkshire Puddings separately.

19. petercr

petercr Member

Funny you should say that Ma - after having made indivudual versions recently for the first time for the kids (to go with a yummy roast), Miss 6yo wanted to have the left-overs for desert filled with jam & cream un the middle. My reaction... :sick::weirdo::sick:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  20. Armunn

Armunn Member

This looks delicious, might have to give that go. This winter my comfort food is a nice beef casserole (will write recipe when I cook it again), bangers and mash or irish stew.