Today I learned.... EK Plexi Tops are somewhat interchangeable

Discussion in 'Extreme and Water Cooling' started by AdsfromOz, Jan 12, 2017.

1. AdsfromOz

AdsfromOz Member

Hi Guys,

After noticing my Res' levels diminishing following a house move, I put the PC up on a bench and noticed I was losing water through a crack in my EK TITAN X block on my 980TI. After trying to bog it up with Super glue, PVC adhesive then JB Weld and still losing fluids; I bit the bullet and went to PCCG for a replacement.

Given the nickel/copper heatsinks are the contact points and the ones needing more machining (and that the EK Plexi full cover 980's are on sale for $69) took a gamble that this would be a "top" fit - and if it weren't there's always the FS forums.

Based on the universal O ring here: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/replacement-o-ring-fc980-fc1080 I'd guess it's also compatible with the:
    - EK-FC980 GTX
    - EK-FC980 GTX Ti WF3
    - EK-FC Titan X
    - EK-FC1080 GTX
    - EK-FC1080 GTX G1
    - EK-FC Titan X Pascal

Hope this saves someone who's over-tightened their terminal bolts or otherwise cracked their top.:upset:

Ads.

2. mr_mordred2095

mr_mordred2095 Member

I've noticed all of the EK plexi stuff is fucking terrible. I'll -never- buy any of their plexi stuff ever again. It's cracked and broken on me -every- single time I've used it, even being gentle.

Meanwhile, their acetal stuff is great!

3. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

With the way EK have handled themselves in the past when issues have popped up, I give them as little business as possible - that being said, we are between a rock and a hard place in Aus with very limited selection.

4. zero_velocity

zero_velocity Member

EK is buy once cry once.

Buy decent gear;
    https://shop.aquacomputer.de/index.php?language=en&

5. B.D.R

B.D.R Member

6. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

AC is good - although a more restrictive block.

But AC is fantastic at innovation.

EK is good at sponsoring builds and saturating the market - so all people think of is EK when they go to do their own build.

7. havabeer

havabeer Member

My only worry would be that the o-ring grove is the same length on all the blocks but the actual screw and mounting holes may be different

8. OP
    OP
    AdsfromOz

AdsfromOz Member

My concern as well. 2 full days of leak testing (o ring was about 1/2 mm longer rounded out) but the mounting holes were perfectly lined up.

Shitty the first one cracked, happy that there's interchangeability.