Top Ten Games of 2010

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by stenchlord, Dec 31, 2010.

1. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

Well it's the last day of the year. So what are your top ten games of 2010 people?

What did you enjoy playing most? What couldn't you wait to get home to play?

1. Mass Effect 2
      Mass Effect 2 is a dramatic improvement over the original, not only in gameplay mechanics but in graphics and overall polish. Bioware looked to the original game and streamlined it in such a way that it would appeal to a wider audience and while I personally loved the original I just found its sequel to be a much more enjoyable ride. The bulky and unmanageable inventory, the mind-boggling list of abilities and the clunky controls all gone and replaced with what I think to be a more polished and better thought out design. The story in my opinion is in itself quite weak but it is through the interactions of citizens from the Universe and your team that it is enriched. There is no denying that many will go without reading any of the articles in the codex but should you take the trouble you'll come to realise the scope of the Mass Effect Universe in it's completeness. It is because of this that the Mass Effect franchise has quickly become one of my favourites.
    2. Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
      Where to begin... With Assassin's Creed II only having been released last year, I expected to be greeted in Brotherhood with a rushed if not un-polished final product but I'm very pleased to say I was completely wrong. Ubisoft Montreal brought out the original back in 2007 and while a respectable entry onto the market it was fraught with an abundance of rough edges and lack of variety. Assassin's Creed II attempted to sand out those rough edges but with Assassin's Creed Brotherhood they have brought out a game which I think truly encaptures the original mechanics perfectly while incorporating some new ones to boot.
    3. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
      More like Need for Speed: Burnout but you know what? That didn't matter to me, Criterion know their driving games and they were the perfect team to choose to revive this dying franchise. Despite being a driving game this has some of the best looking graphics I've seen in a game this year, the lightning is as good as I think I've seen in a game ever. Add to this an online component that works incredibly well - playing with people from America, Asia or Europe? No problems, enjoy your lag free race. Throw in the Autolog and you have a game that brings out the inner race demon in you (Damn you n2o!!!).
    4. Limbo
      Less is more and no other game proved this better this year than Limbo.
    5. Sid Meier's Civilization V
      Having only played for the last couple days I was quite surprised at how quickly I had come to love this game. Compared to past iterations this is on another level. Starting a game at 9pm and then looking up and realising it's 7am and you still haven't finished that very same game you started the night before is something bizarre to describe. Even more bizarre when you still want to play more but have to go to work. Not to mention being able to jump straight into a game without needing to go through the tutorials due to the well-integrated tips and great AI advisors. Multiplayer seems a little lacking but the Singleplayer in my opinion more than makes up for this. If you have a couple months to spare, start up a single large game.. It'll take you that long to finish it anyway.
    6. Battlefield: Bad Company 2
      This is here purely for it's multiplayer. For me there was no greater online multiplayer FPS than BFBC2. If you want large, expansive warfare then there really is no equal in my opinion. Combined with lots of game modes and many new weapons and gear to unlock, as well as vehicles to drive/pilot, this was a game that I just couldn't get enough of.
    7. Halo: Reach
      I'm a Halo fanboy, ever since the original I've loved the franchise to the point where I even bothered to read the novels which were released. Not to mention buying it at the midnight launch and finishing at 7am. Having known the the storyline of Reach and just exactly what was going to happen, I was surprised I found the story so engrossing. Noble Team brought something to the Halo series that hasn't been there before. With the past games playing Master Chief you're pretty much left with a stoic and blank character but with Noble Team you get an insight into just who Spartans are and what it means to be one. In my opinion, Noble Team gave the game a real personality that wasn't quite reached in the original.
    8. Bayonetta
      It starts you off standing on the face of a clocktower that has fallen off a cliff an unknown distance in the sky, after which you fight off dragons and angelic beings and you do this by punching, kicking, shooting or stomping them with a three storey high boot made of hair and all the while the clocktower is still falling... The next scene is Bayonetta posing as a nun to trick angels into coming to you so you can beat them into oblivion while somehow making it all look hyper-sexual... I don't know what else to say about this psycho-ass game.
    9. Super Meat Boy
      ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH! If frustration was money, I'd be the richest person on the face of the planet. Heck I was stupid enough to buy this twice (first on Xbox Live then through Steam). Buy this if you love a challenge and hate yourself.
    10. Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
      Waka Waka Waka!

I think that all the people who kept saying this year was a shit year for gaming was not playing close enough attention (this includes myself).
    Not only did I love the above games but there are still many more of which I still have not had a chance to play yet which I'm quite confident I'll enjoy.
    This year for might not be as great as last year for me but there are games in this years list which would easily replace titles in last years list.

Would love to hear what everyone elses top ten games for 2010 are.

Games still not played yet: Starcraft II, Call of Duty: Black Ops, Red Dead Redemption, Medal of Honor, Alan Wake, God of War III, Rock Back 3,
    Super Mario Galaxy 2, Dead Rising 2, Fallout: New Vegas, Enslaved Odyssey to the West, Costume Quest, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Darksiders & Vanquish.
    All games I think have a chance of being in my list that I just haven't played or haven't played enough of yet.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  2. Philll

Philll (Taking a Break)

In order of games I played that I couldn't put down till I finished them:

Best
    1. Metal Gear Solid: Peacewalker (PSP)
    2. Starcraft II
    3. Red Dead Redemption
    4. Nehrim (Oblivion mod, still haven't finished as it's incomplete)
    5. Fallout Vegas
    6. Heavy Rain
    7. BFBC2

There's plenty of others but nothing I'd want to list as being the best. 2010 was also the year I got into a lot of indie titles. While they are a lot of fun, they often lack depth so I never get drawn in.

Worst
    • Mass Effect 2

Even after a few more hours of trying to get into this game, no title so far has come close to being so overrated for such a cliche story with such a boring emotionless drone of a protagonist. My shoe has more personality than Shepard, being the male or female version, and I didn't mind the first game at all.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2010
  3. Comma

Comma Member

Starcraft II
    Starcraft II
    Starcraft II
    Starcraft II
    Starcraft II
    Starcraft II
    Starcraft II
    Starcraft II
    Starcraft II
    League of Legends

4. recoN

recoN Member

Starcraft 2, Bad Company 2.

Gaming is a joke these days.

5. SmEaGoLLuM!

SmEaGoLLuM! Member

It's been the year of sequels and a great year of games imo.

Too many to mention really.

In terms of multiplayer you can't go past:

Starcraft 2
    Black Ops
    Bad Company 2

I will be going back to them a lot in 2011.

In terms of others that were great, I'd have to say these top 10 in no particular order:

Red Dead Redemption
    Mass Effect 2
    Bioshock 2
    Halo Reach (not on pc so doesn't fully qualify as multiplayer for me - I like fps on pc)
    New Vegas
    Civ 5
    God of War 3
    Super Mario Galaxy 2
    Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
    Heavy Rain

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  6. ninjin

ninjin Member

SMG2
    SC2
    BFBC2
    999: 9 hours, 9 persons, 9 doors
    Heroes of Newerth

I haven't really played these other titles but meh:

Super Street Fighter IV
    Donkey Kong Country Returns
    God of War III
    Mass Effect 2
    WoW: Cataclysm

^Roughly in that order too

7. lithos

lithos Member

Hey, I'm gonna go and grab an asbestos suit - you want one? 'Cause I have to agree with you. We're gonna need it.

Gameplay that never really picks up - I spent the entirety of the game waiting for the bit where the training wheels come off and you get into some really good shooting and large levels. Never happened. Indifferent weaponry. Shooter and RPG genres blended together in such a way that they manage to effectively cancel each other out. Smaller areas than the first game (IWS!)

It felt like a series of hors d'oeuvres than a full meal of a game.

And, yeah, we get it, Bioware. You got the entire cast of Battlestar Galactica and Trinity from The Matrix. I don't care; in fact, it's obvious you can't handle it properly because you spent more time showing off your pointless star power in endless, tedious conversations than actual, you know, gameplay. I'll forgive you for not knowing that Aussie actors that work overseas can't actually act in their own accent, though. There's no way for you to know that.

Proof that games industry knows how to play reviewers like a fiddle, though.

Anyway, onto the good stuff!

Highly Commended: Alpha Protocol

Chris Avellone's first original IP. Make of that what ye will. But the Sicilian writes great dialogue, interesting characters, and inventive storylines, and isn't afraid of big decisions. Bioware wishes it had someone like Avellone working for them.

An odd little near-future RPG, but a little too consolified. Sadly, we won't see anything more done with, and no doubt Sega's cagey about letting Avellone do anything off his own bat again. Which is a damn shame.

Missed Opportunity: Medal Of Honor

The supposed COD-killer: it tried to out-do COD in multiplayer, which anyone who isn't calling the shots at a major game company would have realised is pissing into a cyclone (not enough douche appeal.) It's quite clear most of the budget was put into multiplayer, and that DICE spent most of that trying to figure how to make it different to BFBC2's multiplayer. The smart thing - the Tier 1 thing - was to not worry about multi.

But fuck multiplayer. The single is where MOH truly shone. Proper military advisors (not some hacks that have been hanging around Hollywood for the past twenty years, a la CODBLOPS,) excellent weapon modelling (albeit with the Unreal Engine's patented Floaty Mouse,) and truly understated, professional characters with excellent voice acting. The Tier ones weren't caricatures, or action-movie archetypes. They were professionals, and it showed. There were plenty of subtle touches. The Operators actually counting the number of enemies at a camp. Making note of the gear and habits of the Gargoyles (don't mention al-Qaeda!) and what that means (Red hair? Chechen.)

Proper game sound, unlike CODBLOPS's wish-I-were-a-movie BS. Your teammates' voices smoothly fade between the radio and the live vocals (something CODBLOPS failed spectacularly at doing.) And the radio voice stays centred, with the live voice properly positioned. Positional cues were brilliantly done. The weapons are some of the meatiest, best-sounding around.

What held it back, though, was the overall plot arch: they didn't need one. The game could've been done better as a series of vignettes, snapshots from the work of a Tier One in Afghanistan, much like the earlier MOHs were for WWII. The plot was shoe-horned in, and needlessly melodramatic. It would've been a great contender for periodic content - SINGLEPLAYER content. Alas, with the less than 85% average score (mostly due to reviews that manage to simultaneously bitch that it was too much like COD and not enough like COD,) EA have buried the franchise.

Shame. Because now it'll be ages before we see another shooter with select-fire on the guns.

8. soho

soho Member

BC2
    Red Dead
    NBA 2K11
    Super Meat Boy
    F1 2010
    Chime

...I wish I had more time to play others.

9. Kookooburra

Kookooburra Member

LOL, this is probably the worst yr in gaming for some time, and even in the good ole days it'd be hard to come up with 10 worthy games, so trying to qualify 10 games for 2010 can only be possible if you have monumentally low standards.

10. Randy_Chuggs

Randy_Chuggs (Banned or Deleted)

BLASPHEMY. Heroes of Newerth > LoL :p

11. Stevros

Stevros Member

Games that i enjoyed the most this year were Nehrim, Starcraft 2 and Bad company 2.

Im still playing catchup on the last few years games, but i also managed to play AVP, Metro 2033 and Black ops from this year.

Ive only played the Marine campaign on AVP so far and i enjoyed it even though it was quite mindless.

Metro 2033 had a pretty good story but i didnt like the gun mechanics or how linear the game was.

Black ops disappointed me in both the single player and multiplayer. Just too many shitty maps amongst a couple of good ones for me to keep playing multi.

12. jgustrove

jgustrove Member

1 - Football Manager 2011

The rest just pails in comparison :rolleyes:

Assassin's Creed was pretty good but onlines just a cluster F.

Black Ops, SC II were average games that are as usual, stupidly over-hyped and they win the "Madden-like Game award" for their efforts. SC II still a great game but you have such a long time and its not exactly killing millions of people from dehydration and starvation because they can't stop.
    HALO: Reach falls into this (don't have a 360 so only played small amount at friends houses) catagory and I gave up on WoW being a intellectual challenge. I played many, many hours of the Cataclysm beta and the final few builds still had me wanting to never come back.

F1 2010 was strong game, but single-player AI, my god... Horrid.
    I did find a few good Indie games to mention: Plants .v. Zombies, Reccettear were both pretty darn good games.

I think the game that'll define 2010 will be Minecraft - something so early in development with such an occult following may just be a DOOM or Duke Nukem type event in gaming.

13. Comma

Comma Member

The community is so pooooooor in HoN, and now CASUAL MODE?!

League of Legends will be what it's always been. A cool friendly, fun, free tactical game. It's not as engaging on Heroes, but hell, that's the game I need when I'm not macroing a frenzy in SC2.

14. flinchy

flinchy Member

with a UI that is WORSE than the original DoTA one
    what the shit is up with that? i rq'd mainly because of that, HoN has 10,000,000,000 times more polish :/

also

SC2
    SC2
    SC2
    SC2
    SC2
    Sc2
    SC2
    SC2

blackops was just CoD:MW3 ....

best expansion:
    WoW:Cata.

worst gaming year of the decade.
    2011 already has more better ANNOUNCED titles, let alone games that will suddenly pop up :/

15. Lep

Lep Member

SC2
    Black Ops
    Super Meat Boy
    Heavy Rain
    Assassins Creed: Brotherhood

16. iNoob

iNoob Member

Wow no one hasn't mentioned Minecraft yet?

Well for me:

BFBC2 - Didn't finish story mode but online was awesome. Learning curve wasn't bad, wasn't that noob friendly.
    SC2 - Even though I sucked balls and only played AOE with cheats I really liked this game. Was real fun. Online was nice and simple too.
    Minecraft - Minecraft = Minecrack. Enough said.
    GT5 - So much win. Even though it was short it was really polished. You could really see the time put into that game.

However, I do want to get Heavy Rain and Red Dead Redemption.

Crappest:

BLOPS - Single player - Holy shit that was bad. Only thing I found funny was Ice Cube's voice.
    Multiplayer - Buggy from the get go. Now only played for some slow quickscoping gg gayarch.

17. ValorAU

ValorAU Member

gt5 <3

10char

18. TXN

TXN Member

Technically, minecraft is still in beta so it shouldn't be eligible anyway.:p

19. Sundance

Sundance Member

In no particular order

Red Dead Redemption
    Bad Company 2
    Mass Effect 2
    Civ V
    LOTRO (after going free-to-play :D )

Those are the only 2010 games I've played this year, and luckily, enjoyed all of them!

20. Subcommandante

Subcommandante Member

i played relatively few pc games this year. no hardware to fry.
    so ps3 titles it has been.

God of War 3
    Red Dead Redemption
    The PS MOVE - Sports Champions gladiator combat
    Battlefield Bad COmpany 2... damn i never thought i could get so good at a controller based FPS.

And that is about it.