Toshiba Satellite M300 Review

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by glenpinn, May 31, 2010.

1. glenpinn

glenpinn Member

Hi peeps, not sure if anyone is interested in this article, just wanted to share it with you as a basic review and my thoughts on my new (2nd hand) laptop.

anyway, today i received my Toshiba Satellite M300 that i bought from Vanlan2010 last monday in the forum.

laptop is running the core2 duo T8100 @ 2.1ghz with 4gb of 800mhz ram, 320gh hdd and 3470 graphics as well as all the other goodies these things ship with

arrived in the original box very well packaged and labelled, and on booting it up was presented with a brand new vista business 32bit OS that the laptop was shipped with, but obviously not being a fan of vista, and all the usual toshiba rubbish thrown in, i immediately installed a copy of win 7 HP 64bit onto a 50gb partition and formatted the other 260gb for storage space.

got it running with all my apps installed, and noted the nice warm airflow blowing out of the quite large exhaust vent on the left side of the laptop, obviously its working well and temps seem to sit anywhere between 43 and 50 idle on the desktop (between both cores) and hitting a bit over 60 playing a movie.

while i was taking photos, i noticed something really strange on the belly of this laptop, and if you note the 3 photos below, you will see what i am referring to.

unlike all other laptops i have seen before, the front section of the belly is tapered where the front rubber bumpers are fitted, which means that basically the front half of the belly cover has barely got any clearance between it and the flat surface its sitting on.

this means that the large round intake vent that is located directly under the side vent has not got much clearance between the belly and the desk, and am curious if these bumpers being like they are would be preventing or inhibiting airflow into that vent, as the design of the belly pan and the location of the front bumpers just looks very odd to me.

anyway, i cant say i noticed any real difference in any temps by lifting the front of the laptop up slightly, so maybe im just being overly cautious or paranoid, but regardless of this, i think i might buy a few new bumpers for the front of the laptop, but will stick them further back on the edge of the belly where it starts to taper towards the front, just so there is an equal gap all over the underside of the laptop.

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

Click to view full size!

lastly, i want to thank Vanlan2010 for the sale, and the great transaction, the laptop cost me $500 inc post to hobart, and i think overall that i got a very nice laptop which arrived in the original box and in what i call excellent cosmetic condition, and a very nice laptop to replace my great little HP dv2000 with as my mobile laptop.

photos of it set up this arvo can be seen here in my photobucket albums
    http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd145/glenpinn/TOSHIBA M300 Laptop/

cheers