Toshiba Satellite Pro 440CDT 133MMX Win95 - How do I prepare these for sale?

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Jonesy_sa, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Jonesy_sa

Jonesy_sa Member

Hi guys
    Whilst moving I came across some of my early super cute Toshibas, generic photo:
    https://goo.gl/images/4AjJkL

I don't recall having driver disks for these and think I just gave away the original Windows 95 floppies with my last sale on here. Should I sell them without HDD's or try to reinstall W95? Did W95 need a product key as there isnt a sticker on these?
    Cheers

2. bYrd

bYrd Member

If you're keen to reinstall Windows, the best way would be to yank the HD and with the help of a 2.5" IDE to USB adapter plug it into a modern computer and copy over the Windows 95 setup folder, reinstall with it plugged back in.

Ideally you want to format the HD before and make it bootable before yanking it out. Make up a boot floppy and FORMAT C: /S

3. OP
    OP
    Jonesy_sa

Jonesy_sa Member

Do you know of any tutorials for this? Is there a repository where i could obtain win95?

4. JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki Member

As long as they boot, you don't really need to worry too much about the OS - most buyers would just do the install themselves later. There is more than enough value in working hardware at this stage :thumbup:

Flamin Joe likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Jonesy_sa

Jonesy_sa Member

Probably easiest as I cant even see how to remove the hard drive.
    I would however like to at least format them as they have been used by a few people. Is the format function in the boot disk sufficient?

Can I use a Windows 98 Boot disk then install via the CD rom?

6. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

If you're concerned about cleaning the data off these systems, I would run something like DBAN to erase the disks. You can still recover data after a format but even running one pass of DBAN or a similar eraser program makes it much harder.

Win 95/98 do require a CD key but they aren't checked online like later Windows versions were, so you can reuse the same key as much as you like. That said, this is still copyrighted software so you technically should have a legit copy before you install it on each machine. I doubt most people care these days, you can torrent an ISO if you are so inclined but I'd agree with JidaiGeki and say you should just wipe the disks and call it a day.

You can boot off the Win95/98 boot floppy, these just boot to a DOS environment with CDROM and mouse drivers. You can boot directly off the Win98 CD if your BIOS supports booting from CD, but I suspect that these machines wouldn't.

7. Flamin Joe

Flamin Joe Member

I think there's probably a good chance it does actually support CD-ROM boot as the 440CDT was released a year after the standard was introduced.

I'm actually amazed to see Toshiba still have a support for the 440CDT on their website including driver/bios/software downloads for Win 3.1/NT4/Win95/Win98. :thumbup:

https://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=1073769770

8. OP
    OP
    Jonesy_sa

Jonesy_sa Member

I was quite surprised to see the drivers still listed also; good on Toshiba!
    Well, you are correct, it indeed will boot from USB. I was able to get a Windows 98se CD to boot. Prior to installing 98 I would like to wipe the drive. I tried a boot CD with DBAN but after hitting enter the screen goes blank and nothing loads. Is DBAN too new for this PC?

9. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Yes, if you install any version of Windows on the hardware, you need prove ownership. Either real install media, or a license key.

If you can't, install legally free/open-source software on it.

FreeDOS (free, open source, MS-DOS 6 replacement):
    https://www.freedos.org/

ReactOS (free, open source Windows 2000, XP and 7 replacement):
    https://www.reactos.org/

10. bYrd

bYrd Member

You could create your own boot floppy using the existing OS, and format. Otherwise if that concerned about data I'd remove the HD - it's a couple of screws on a panel on the side.

11. OP
    OP
    Jonesy_sa

Jonesy_sa Member

I have original 98se media I'll install on them. Wiping is more a habit than anything else. These were just used for word processing if that unlike modern pc's and everything they are used for.
    Do you have a link or picture of the HDD drive location as I looked initially and could not see where it was?

Also, I can boot from CD into 98se install which gives a GUI. I recall from memory someway to boot into a dos like environment where i could run commands like:
    D:/Win98/ FORMAT C:/S
    Is this possible? I guess it would be almost using the CD as a boot disk. From there I would create folders i.e. CABS/Options and load the install media via HDD.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  12. DonutKing

DonutKing Member

The win98SE CD should give you the option to boot into MSDOS mode where you can run format and other commands. I think it gives you so many seconds to choose that option then it defaults to booting into setup.

13. OP
    OP
    Jonesy_sa

Jonesy_sa Member

ah cool. Thank you for you assistance. Looks like this had all been done but copied and os and reinstalled for testing.
    All done.

I can honestly say I appreciate USB installs allot more now. Hopefully someone finds this old lappy useful. Sadly no room in my collection.

14. mtma

mtma Member

Damn, I had a 420CDT and I can say the thing I'd be worried about is making sure the laptop is reasonably charged and the main battery stays in it. These things have a Ni-Cd backup battery for the clock/cmos which will destroy the circuit board when flat. Unfortunately this is what brought my 420CDT to death :(

15. OP
    OP
    Jonesy_sa

Jonesy_sa Member

Common with allot of old Toshiba's. I went through a phase of keeping all my old technology and buying random items, like this, that were quite cool. Thought it would be fun to show my kids one day. I've always kept batteries charged and switched things on from time to time. Sadly no room or time now since moving.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  16. iMic

iMic Member

Hopefully this isn't out of line or unwanted, but I sent you a PM. I've been looking for a Windows 95 compatible machine for a while (and have some parts to suit the Toshiba Satellite 400-series machines as well).