1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Touch HD [aka T8282 Blackstone] Screen & touch repair, pics and tips inside!

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by qwertylesh, May 7, 2010.

1. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

I want to show you all the procedure I performed, and share some notes to others that may also decide to perform the same work using the not so handy HTC Service Manual.

Special thanks to Zaim and Minh (the mobile phone guy) for making it heaps easy for me to get the required replacement hardware.

If you end up suffering from the Newton_Ring problem or cracked lcd, and decide to purchase a factory assembled LCD + Digitizer, you can use the Official Service manual and this thread, to perform the repair.

[​IMG]
    The Battery and the Battery cover have been removed.

[​IMG]
    Lower mainboard cover and inner housing have been removed

[​IMG]
    the Digitizer & LCD (preassembled) replacement Part, beside the damaged Blackstone.

[​IMG]
    Removal of the GPS Coaxial cabling.

I'll skip past the wifi coax removal, but will like to note that you will find a spare coax socket on the mainboard next to the wifi one, so dont get those mixed up when reassembling it!!

[​IMG]
    both Coax cables removed. (bad quality picture)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Removal of the Ribbons Mylar

[​IMG]
    this is the removal of the Ribbon plug.

[​IMG]
    Removal of the Volume buttons and its petite PCB. Take your time, dont break the ribbons or damage the pcb trying to remove this.

[​IMG]
    Removal of the mainboard phillips screw.

[​IMG]
    Power PCB slot removal, this ones tricky.

[​IMG]
    Unplugging of the 5 megapixel main camera, a nice and easy step.

Note: Please be aware that the whole Top PCB is very fragile and does actually bend, hence the term Flex PCB, be gentle with this component. ;)

[​IMG]
    You wont see this part of the repair listed in the official manual, infact when I had a google around, there was little to no information on howto perform this anywhere.

Let me make one thing certain, if you've just spent like an hour on the above, while following the Official service manual, squinting at the poor quality photos (or my poor quality photos :p ) and you're feeling a little impatient, take a decent break before attempting the above!

Because, for the above procedure, you need to tear off the 3 layers of Digitizer and LCD from the front of the phone, if you don't take your time with how you do it, you'll dent your frame (a lot).

[​IMG]
    you won't find this in the service manual, if you worked out its significantly easier do a factory pre-assembled Digi+LCD replacement, and if you don't purchase the housing along with LCD and Digitizer, then you'll need to take the front Speaker piece grill, and transplant it to the new part.

Note: that you don't need to add any extra glue to perform any of this.

Next you simply gently fold a ribbon so you can place the new part into the old frame, and you'll end up with something like this:
    [​IMG]

I also did a lot of very minor aesthetic damage to the inner area of the frame, between the frame and the touch screen.

Take your time to prevent this, also if you don't care for the old part at all and aren't replacing a LCD or Digitizer standalone, you can pretty much gain access to the layers from one corner then tear the layers away from the glue with your hands.

[​IMG]
    Next proceed to rebuild the phone following the above in reverse or keep following the service manual (or both, is probably the best way IMO)

Note: Don't forget to place the camera back into the reassembly as you're re adding the coax wires. The service manual won't instruct you to do this.

[​IMG]
    Install back your flexible and mainboard pcb. as above.

[​IMG]
    The above is with all the boards, cables and camera installed back into place.

[​IMG]
    Verify the replacement part is good before fastening in the shell casings.

[​IMG]
    Lastly the two shells are fastened back on and the battery is put back into place.
    Note: When installing the main shell, be very considerate of the camera, while at the same time, ensuring that none of the coaxial or the vibrator cable falls out of their desired places.

OK, if you have the HTC Service manual PDF, and need to repair your Blackstone (and want to DIY), it can be done albeit some instructions are clearly omitted from the official service manual.

One final note, When researching on what part to use to perform the repair of my Blackstone mobile, I read many people have attempted to repair their Blackstones and failed miserably, so even if you're savvy with repairing small electronics, the general suggestion is to get a pre-made digitizer & LCD, it is without a doubt well worth the price difference of a Digitizer or LCD standalone.

Thank you for taking the time to check this out, I hope someone may find it useful and save them from a bit of misery.

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  2. LostBenji

LostBenji Member

Where is the Percussive adjustment tool ?

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  3. zaim

zaim Member

nice camera

4. OP
    OP
    qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

haha ty :p

5. hak

hak Member

these pics remind me of that 70's wash out looks, nice effects :D

6. OP
    OP
    qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

haha!
    Thanks to my awesomely poxy iMateFail JasJam mobile.

I even have to sharpen the images with Paint.net after taking them because the camera is that shocking.

also, all pics are now thumbed, I didn't realise they were still so huge, I thought 2MP pictures cropped and reduced by 25 percent would be smaller then they were, what was i thinking :lol:

7. OP
    OP
    qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

guide revised,
    remember, this is for use alongside the official Service Manual.

Service Manual url added to OP.